•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium on an Modern Android, what are the limitations vs using a laptop?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM

Sometimes when I'm out for casual night of observing, I use my smart phone with Stellarium to help me identify objects in the night sky.
I'm using an android Galaxy 7. Its far from the benefits of using a real computer / laptop but it gets me by.
How good is a modern day Android Tablet when using Stellarium?

What are the limitations in using a tablet, that we just take for granted when we are using a Laptop or Desktop.

I do like the long life of a tablet but with my Android phone, Stellarium is very limiting.

Anyone doing this and finding an Android table is "good enough?"

Thanks in advance for any comments.

...Ralph
  • Cali likes this

#2 Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf

Stellarium

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Barnaul, Siberia, Russia

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:34 AM

Stellarium Mobile Plus?

#3 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:13 AM

Not sure about mobile plus.,but on my tablet Stellarium is much more limited than on a laptop,,

I use SkySarfari on my tablet as well and Stellarium now sits idol.,SkySafari plus is the most useful $15 I have spent on this hobby.,cheers.,

• Jon Isaacs, tomwall and Steve Cox like this

#4 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:32 PM

For my uses I'm glad I have a cheap Windows 10 tablet to run Stellarium/ other astro apps on.

Reason:

• use of mouse via USB port.

I'm sure there are android equivalents,

but I need precision pointing without changing the zoom level that not even a stupid stylus can do with my android tablet....

Clicking on a particular faint star is a piece of cake with a mouse.

• no change in infrastructure when I'm back home and using a PC to solve my videos of satellites, etc....My same pc tablet software is the exact same as my pc versions.

This is my perceived experience with everything "tablet based" v. pc based.

Having authored myself a few android apps for my needs,

I now realize I'd rather code in html5/javascript and run things via browser on both pc and tablet rather than have one thing that works with tablet OS (often dumbed-down to pass Apple approval muster) v. a pc version....

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:48 PM

Stellarium for the Android is very basic. I have it but never use it.

Sky Safari Plus or Pro is a whole different world. It's as powerful as a serious desk top app.  It does things like compute the separation and PA of double stars based on orbital information. Extensive databases, sophisticated search functions, the list is endless.

Sky Safari is just about all I use.  

Jon

• rockethead26 and tomwall like this

#6 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:21 PM

I use Celestron SkyPortal on Google Android 9.  Are you talking about the version on Google Play from Noctua Software?  That is not free software and it does not appear to be an official version from the developers of Stellarium.  Stellarium is free open-source software.  The software code can be openly forked, modified, and sold for profit, but Noctua may actually still be violating the Stellarium trademark by calling their modified commercial product "Stellarium Mobile."

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 31 July 2019 - 04:27 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:12 PM

Answering original question:

(in my interpretation)

About modern Android

a)  does it still have the limitation (when compare it with a PC)

b) why why why

Answers:

a) yes, still there are plenty restrictions/differences even a high-spec. Android device is used

b) short answer: Android OS is a closed-ecosystem (i.e., the app developers will have to create app based on the capabilities-n-constraints provided/limited by Android Operating System.)  In another word, Android is not designed as a general purpose Operating System and has never been.  Android's success was based on a well-planed ecosystem with a fixed boundary.  The reason for its success is also its limit.  I.e., can win them all.

(I can write a long answer but that will bore most of the people to death.  So I will skip it here.

For the curious, Google search:  why Android is not a general purpose OS.

#8 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:20 PM

I'd like to offer another perspective:

app-centric ecosystem tends to choose the "easy to build the app since there are many base services/APIs that a developer can take advantage of".

This also make app's sticker price very low (free, $0.99, less than $5 <-- most of them).

A full-blown application would incur a lot of work and may need ad-hoc development work (e.g., build extensive library to support special tasks.)

The result is the application (e.g., this_program_work.exe) not app.

Do you think the hungry developer can live under the $0.99 app price (with no clear mega-hit in sight)?

I.e., two different business models drive different outcome

#9 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: High and Dry

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:52 PM

I love Stellarium Mobile! I use it on an 8" tablet in the field exclusively now (meaning, I have tossed the paper charts out the window).

It shows me impending occulations, the positions of moons, the nomenclature of DS objects, and just about every thing I ever need at the telescope. I think it is just an absolutely fabulous app for the price (like, 99 cents).

But I am a person that has no need whatsoever for extended telescope-controlling software (that's what eyes and hands are for) and don't take pictures, and would never pay $50 or $100 for any astro software. So your mileage may vary accordingly. But for we ATM low-brows, there is nothing better out there.  :)

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:23 PM

Answering original question:

(in my interpretation)

About modern Android

a)  does it still have the limitation (when compare it with a PC)

b) why why why

Answers:

a) yes, still there are plenty restrictions/differences even a high-spec. Android device is used

b) short answer: Android OS is a closed-ecosystem (i.e., the app developers will have to create app based on the capabilities-n-constraints provided/limited by Android Operating System.)  In another word, Android is not designed as a general purpose Operating System and has never been.  Android's success was based on a well-planed ecosystem with a fixed boundary.  The reason for its success is also its limit.  I.e., can win them all.

(I can write a long answer but that will bore most of the people to death.  So I will skip it here.

For the curious, Google search:  why Android is not a general purpose OS.

Stellarium Mobile's limitations have nothing to Android.  The program itself is very limited.  

Compare it to Sky Safari 6 Plus or Pro.. There are no desktop programs I know of under $100 that have the capabilities of Sky Safari.  

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics