•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comparing between Orion and Astronomia finderscopes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Assaftir

Assaftir

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:59 PM

Hi all,

I’ve decided to upgrade my SkyWatcher finder to a RACI 90 degrees finder.
I’ve came across the “Astronomia 9x50 right angled finder” and the “Orion 07212 right angle correct finder”.
I’m not sure if it’s legit to past links here but they can be easily found in the online site which starts with ‘A’ and ends with ‘N’.
Does anyone have some experience with one or two of them and can recommend me which one should I get? Maybe neither?
I didn’t find any major differences between this two but on the other hand I’m kinda newbie to the area so I came to hear you guys.

Clear skies :)

Edited by Assaftir, 22 July 2019 - 05:59 PM.

#2 J.LAMBIE

J.LAMBIE

Mariner 2

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:17 PM

I have both 6x30 and 9x50 Orion RACIs on different scopes. They work just fine. I only have the 9x50 because it was absurdly cheap used. All I want from a finder is to get me on target. I prefer the 6x30 as it has a 7* field of view as opposed to the 9x50's 5*, but the quality of their optics? Don't know and don't care given how little time I spend looking through them. If you want a 9x50 and Astromania is cheaper...I know what I'd do. Scottish heritage.

#3 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:41 PM

I have an Orion 9X50mm RACI on my Orion 8' Dob.  I wouldn't live without it.  No contortions looking through it and it has a big enough FOV.  Coupled with a Green Laser, I couldn't be happier.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:57 AM

Assaftir:

Hi:

You can post links.  You can either just cut and paste them or use the link tool in the tool bar above, it's the 9th tool from the left in the bottom row.

Astromania 9x50 RA finder

The Astromania looks very much like the Orion, I would guess they were made by the same manufacturer.  It's not clearly stated that the Astromania is an RACI finder (Right Angle Correct Image) and while the question and answer forum says it is, the person answering the questions claims to new to astronomy.

Another option is the GSO 8x50 RACI. It is very similar to the Orion but 8x rather 9x. I have both, the GSO offers a somewhat wider field of view, 5.6 degrees versus 5.0 degrees.  It's also only $59 shipped and includes a dovetail shoe in case you want to mount the finder on a scope without a shoe. 

Jon

• BFaucett likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics