•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Center bolt for Atlas EQ-G

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scott123

Scott123

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:28 PM

I'm building a pier for my Atlas EQ-G. Does anyone know of a source for the center bolt? Or should I use a hardware store bolt?

Also, what are good replacements for the altitude adjustment bolts? 

Thank you,

Scott

#2 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Sputnik

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

If your's is like mine (I have an EQ6-R Pro) the 'bolt' is like 8 or 10" long with threading up the entire shaft.  If I were to replace mine, I would look for threaded rod, rather than a bolt.  If you have a nut, bring that to a hardware store --- you should be able to test the threaded rod for proper thread size/pitch (might be metric, not sure) and get it cut to length.  I am at work, so I don't have access to my mount to be more specific.  I work in a machine shop, and deal with things like this all the time.  I specifically remember assembly the mount and noticing the 'bolt' in question, and thought along the lines of 'threaded rod'.  Good luck!

• Scott123 likes this

#3 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:45 PM

It's for a pier.  A standard hardware store bolt is what I used.  It's 12mm x 1.75.

• Scott123 likes this

#4 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Sputnik

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:52 PM

BTW, when I said you could have the threaded rod 'cut to length' that may be a problem.  It may bugger up the threads at the cut.  Best bet is to find one made to proper length.  In a pinch you could have them cut to length, and use a die to clean up the buggered threads.  Easiest thing, though, is to buy one already at length.  IIRC, the bolt sticks out the bottom, below the spreader, and if it is an inch or two too long, I can't imagine that would be a problem, so you've probably got leeway on the length.

Edited by Sleep Deprived, 22 July 2019 - 07:54 PM.

• PirateMike likes this

#5 PirateMike

PirateMike

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:15 PM

BTW, when I said you could have the threaded rod 'cut to length' that may be a problem.  It may bugger up the threads at the cut.

Simple solution. Put a nut on the threaded rod, make the cut, unthread the nut over the cut end. Problem solved.

Hundreds of billions of people do this on a daily basis. smile.gif

Miguel   8-)

• Live_Steam_Mad, Pauls72 and OldManSky like this

#6 Scott123

Scott123

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:26 AM

It's for a pier.  A standard hardware store bolt is what I used.  It's 12mm x 1.75.

Yep, I don't need the extended length. I'll check at the hardware store and see what they have in stock. I'm also looking for a plastic knob that fits onto the bolt head, so I can tighten the bolt by hand.  I found these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.c...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

#7 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:45 AM

Yep, I don't need the extended length. I'll check at the hardware store and see what they have in stock. I'm also looking for a plastic knob that fits onto the bolt head, so I can tighten the bolt by hand.  I found these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.c...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

That looks  like it will work.  I drilled and tapped the head of my bolt to 1/4-20 and fastened a faucet hand wheel to it. You don’t need it super tight in the bottom of the mount, only snug.  Those are aluminum threads, and they can be stripped by using a long wrench.  Hand tighten only.  Only about 5/8 inches of bolt thread needs to go into the eq head.

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 23 July 2019 - 08:47 AM.

• Scott123 likes this

#8 Pauls72

Pauls72

Vanguard

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:33 AM

You can get all sorts of knobs from McMaster-Carr

https://www.mcmaster.com/metric-knobs

This is what I did for the Attitude adjusting bolts.

https://www.cloudyni...dy-bolts-again/

• Scott123 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics