•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

File management

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ehanes7612

ehanes7612

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, Wa

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:43 PM

Ok, I have a quandry. Because my AP computer only has enough memory for operations and not storage I use a SD disk to store my subs as I image. When the SD is full I reformat the disk with my camera. Soooo, last night I supposedly reformatted, which wipes all the files. I go to put it in the AP computer. I open the AP computer, turn it on and place the SD disk in the slot. I go to SGP , my saved SGP settings file. I start imaging and uploading the images..I check the disk to make sure everything is uploading as I always do and I notice no files were erased in the previous reformatting. Okay, I think maybe it didnt work. I check a couple files and they download to the SGP screen just fine. I conclude with four hours of images and close up for the night. Today, I plan on doing a batch processing of the files and lo and behold..there is nothing on the disk..NOTHING.  It was as if the reformatting decided to wait till after I uploaded more images. At a lost as to what is happening..I check the viability of the disk and it's uploading new bias and darks just fine. Transferred to another computer just fine..I am really at a loss as to what happened. And no, there are no files saved on the AP computer 

Edited by ehanes7612, 22 July 2019 - 07:44 PM.

#2 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

Is it possible that your AP computer hard drive is full?

#3 ehanes7612

ehanes7612

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:03 PM

Is it possible that your AP computer hard drive is full?

why would the hard drive of the AP computer have anything to do with this? Uploading of images from the buffer in the camera bypasses the hard drive and goes to the SD disk. There is absolutely no change in available space on the hard drive as this process marches on, I would run out of hard drive space on this computer with just ten subs and I usually have 50 light subs in a session. Currently running 150 bias and 150 darks in this session

Edited by ehanes7612, 22 July 2019 - 08:19 PM.

#4 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:14 AM

A random guess as to what happened: The formatting failed. The images you thought you saw on the SD disk the next day were the directory cached from the previous use. SGP tried to write to the disk, and the writing failed since the formatting had failed. The question is, did you see these (phantom images) on *SGP* or by using a system file viewer (Windows explorer if you use Windows)? If the first, I'm very likely right.

Not that it helps. The net effect is that you lost that session. I would recommend that you always check a formatted disk using the file viewer of the OS, and you write a small file to the disk as a test after formatting it. (Unclear why you format rather than just deleting the old files).

#5 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:32 PM

In the photography world, it is always recommended to format, and not delete. It's also recommended to format from the camera, and not your computer. This is mainly because SD cards usually use FAT32, and FAT32 is somewhat fragile. Reformatting makes sure there is no file system corruption propagating.

#6 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

why would the hard drive of the AP computer have anything to do with this? Uploading of images from the buffer in the camera bypasses the hard drive and goes to the SD disk. There is absolutely no change in available space on the hard drive as this process marches on, I would run out of hard drive space on this computer with just ten subs and I usually have 50 light subs in a session. Currently running 150 bias and 150 darks in this session

I misunderstood, I thought the AP computer you were using was for post processing.

Mike

#7 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:09 PM

Maybe it’s the Facebook phenomenon where everybody is chronicling every minute of their life but you gunked up the reformat process, once, and now it works fine, but you want everyone to guess what went wrong? 

• elmiko likes this

#8 ehanes7612

ehanes7612

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:45 PM

I misunderstood, I thought the AP computer you were using was for post processing.

Mike

no worries

• elmiko likes this

#9 ehanes7612

ehanes7612

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:50 PM

A random guess as to what happened: The formatting failed. The images you thought you saw on the SD disk the next day were the directory cached from the previous use. SGP tried to write to the disk, and the writing failed since the formatting had failed. The question is, did you see these (phantom images) on *SGP* or by using a system file viewer (Windows explorer if you use Windows)? If the first, I'm very likely right.

Not that it helps. The net effect is that you lost that session. I would recommend that you always check a formatted disk using the file viewer of the OS, and you write a small file to the disk as a test after formatting it. (Unclear why you format rather than just deleting the old files).

it's the same SD disk I use in my canon 6d camera..and once it is formatted with the canon camera..you can't delete files unless in the canon..which is very tedious. I lost my other SD disk.

I was thinking it had something to do with SGP cache'ing and you're right..now that I think of it ..I saw the files from SGP..not Windows on the pc.

lesson learned

#10 ehanes7612

ehanes7612

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:51 PM

In the photography world, it is always recommended to format, and not delete. It's also recommended to format from the camera, and not your computer. This is mainly because SD cards usually use FAT32, and FAT32 is somewhat fragile. Reformatting makes sure there is no file system corruption propagating.

Right..when I have tried to delete in the past..the memory is still being used up ..only way to recoup the storage capability was to reformat

#11 ehanes7612

ehanes7612

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:54 PM

Maybe it’s the Facebook phenomenon where everybody is chronicling every minute of their life but you gunked up the reformat process, once, and now it works fine, but you want everyone to guess what went wrong? 

well, I have my suspicions based on anecdotal experience of how these SD disks work but I lack the technical expertise ...but as I have found in the past.. my guesses are usually wrong, or half wrong

Facebook is a scourge (as is social media in general) wink.gif

Edited by ehanes7612, 23 July 2019 - 06:55 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics