•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

the cost of doing a single night imaging run

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 Kendahl

Kendahl

Apollo

• Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:05 PM

On Monday, we got the first night in a month with clear skies and a couple of hours of adequate darkness before moonrise. After loading the van, we left just before 8 pm, drove an hour to our dark site and set up. Assembling the equipment goes quickly because we've done it so often. What takes time is waiting until it's dark enough to see Polaris for polar alignment and stars in the target area for GoTo alignment. We started observing around 10:30 and stopped at 12:30 when the moon rose. Then, we tore everything down, repacked the van and drove home, arriving just before 3 am. Seven hours for me to get two hours of photo data and my wife to find, observe and log three globular clusters. We are looking forward to moving someplace where the weather is better and we can observe from home.

#52 nimitz69

nimitz69

Apollo

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:19 PM

“ .... can take a bit of time.”    ?????

I’ve never had  a plate solve take more than 2 mins ...

#53 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:15 PM

I feel for all of you guys living in the city.

I own land in mag 21 to 21.5 skies here in vermont. Open to the sky. I'd happily let a friend campout there for some remote imaging.

I generally image from my backyard cause I'm lazy. Mag 20 skies or a little better...

#54 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:25 PM

You guys make me feel guilty (not really LOL!) for complaining about my skies. I measured them last night at SQM 20.7-Bortle 4. My scope runs all night while I sleep. I’d love to travel to Bortle 1 skies, but I have a quick setup on an uncovered balcony observatory high above the ground. Retirement is a good thing! Not to rub it in (haha!)!

#55 Im2bent

Im2bent

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:34 PM

Five bucks at iTelescope and excellent B&W image in my inbox. About $20 USD for a color image.

Don't forget the cost of the 31mm Nagler I had to throw at a coyote to make my escape....long story.

Uh not to thread jack but where exactly were you when you threw that Nagler and what direction were you facing? Personally I would have gone hand to hand with that coyote. Hell you could club it into submission with that eyepiece.

#56 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Vanguard

• Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:52 PM

In your situation I would go the route I do most of my imaging with. DSLR, MGEN II, alignment via polar scope, and 3 star alignment at most. Heck, if you get something like my SharpStar 150mm f/2.8 then you could probably get some good stuff unguided if need be. Astronomics is selling the scope now too!
  • fmeschia likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics