•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New C-6 XLT, TW-1 mount and MOD 3 NV monacular

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:28 PM

Finally received my new C-6 and TW-1 mount to use with standard EP's and new MOD-3 night vision. Other than needing to order a new finder scope to replace the useless thing that Celestron ships it with (6X30), I have been looking at the Antares 7.5X50 with SCT bracket to replace it and be able to use my MOD-3 with it while using standard ep in the ota. First light tonight was very positive with good views of both Jupiter and Saturn. I left the .63 FR off for now. Collimation appeared to be good out of the box, defocusing on Vega. It liked the15 thru 25 plossl the best but even my 8 ethos and 7 Nagler did good here. I think the 13 ethos would be great here (don't have one yet). The mount handled the set up without a problem. Later I slipped in the MOD 3 with 12nm H-a filter (now I am thinking about a 7nm) and scanned across my light polluted skys. What a joy.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0465-2.jpg
  • IMG_0472-2.jpg
  • IMG_0471-2.jpg
  • IMG_0466-2.jpg

#2 Freezout

Freezout

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Europe, Bortle 4 zone, altitude 11 meters

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:07 AM

Hi Mr. Roberts,
Very nice setup! In my dreams I also invest in a night vision eyepiece to put on my Mak 150mm for deep sky, keeping a simple Baader Zoom for planetary/double star.
I have some questions for you…
1) How do you enjoy the “limited” field of view of the F10 telescope with the night vision? I see on the forum that Night vision is often used in refractors or other fast instruments… My F12 still gives me access to many DSO, so why not invest in night vision?
(to note: I don’t intend for now to purchase different telescopes)
2) What specs does your monocular have?

Thanks!

#3 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:30 AM

Congratulations on the Mod-3.

Purchasing my NVD Micro Image Intensifier was one of the best astro purchases I’ve made in 40-years.

You might want to consider picking-up one of the inexpensive Sky Watcher 80, 102 or 120 mm F5 refractor OTAs. You will need to use a Pass Filter (for non nebula objects) and a Ha Filter (for nebula) with an achromat, but if you observe in light pollution you will need to use those filters anyway.

One of the scopes I use with my Image Intensifier is the 102mm F5 refractor with a .7, 2” reducer, getting the scope down to F3.5 for some really wide field intensified views.

Bob

• MrRoberts likes this

#4 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:37 AM

Hi Mr. Roberts,
Very nice setup! In my dreams I also invest in a night vision eyepiece to put on my Mak 150mm for deep sky, keeping a simple Baader Zoom for planetary/double star.
I have some questions for you…
1) How do you enjoy the “limited” field of view of the F10 telescope with the night vision? I see on the forum that Night vision is often used in refractors or other fast instruments… My F12 still gives me access to many DSO, so why not invest in night vision?
(to note: I don’t intend for now to purchase different telescopes)
2) What specs does your monocular have?

Thanks!

With an SCT and an Image Intensifier, you can use reducers to get to F7 or F6.3 or even faster. I use my Mewlon 210 at F11.5 or F8 with no problem.

HERE is a website that will answer most of you questions when getting started.

You can also ask questions or read related threads over in the EAA forum.

Bob

Edited by bobhen, 23 July 2019 - 07:39 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics