•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrophotography with Canon Rebel Xt DSLR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TxSoul5

TxSoul5

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:02 AM

I am new to astrophotography and would like to know what I need to get good quality images. I have a pair of Oberwerk 15x70LW bino's that I have been spotting with but I want to progress into imaging. Seen a few scenarios where people are using telescopes with a DSLR camera like mine. So my question is, what equipment would I need to get started. Thanks all!!

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:23 AM

Welcome TxSoul5!  The answer is  a good equatorial mount, a telescope with a short focal length,  and a camera with a t-adapter.  What you might want to do is look at the latest pictures posted in the Newbie Corner part of  this site:  https://www.cloudyni...25#entry8117612 and see the results and the equipment that was used.  Some very good starting  images there.

• bobzeq25, Dynan and md11spotter98 like this

#3 Stargezzer

Stargezzer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Catalina Mountains AZ

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:24 AM

+1 for Gipht's advice!

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:28 PM

I am new to astrophotography and would like to know what I need to get good quality images. I have a pair of Oberwerk 15x70LW bino's that I have been spotting with but I want to progress into imaging. Seen a few scenarios where people are using telescopes with a DSLR camera like mine. So my question is, what equipment would I need to get started. Thanks all!!

You need:  A good setup to learn on.  Software to stack and process your data.  Study on various somewhat complicated techniques.  Work on mastering those techniques.  Time.  The first year is pretty much just for learning, not winning Image of the Day.  <smile>

The keystone of the good setup to learn on is _not_ the scope or the camera, it's the mount.  It's difficult to grasp how important tracking is, and how much it costs to make a mount that good.   My minimum recommendation is the Sirius/HEQ5 or the iOptron 30 PRO.  All are $1200.

The scope is non-critical _provided_ you don't go too big.  Focal length max is 600mm, 480 is better.  Max weight is 10 pounds, 5 is better.

Your DSLR should do fine.  LiveView is really handy for focusing and locating your target.  An intervalometer or a computer program makes taking somethng like thirty 2 minute exposures less of a chore.

For stacking/processing software I recommend Astro Pixel Processor.

Pretty soon you'll see why an autoguiding system will be good.

All in all your budget needs to be about $2000-2500, maybe a bit more.  If that's too much the solution is DSLR/lens/camera tracker.

The two chief beginner mistakes (and you really want to avoid them) are skimping on the mount, and using too big a scope.

This book will be very helpful, this is too complicated and unintuitive to "wing it".

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/0999470906

Edited by bobzeq25, 23 July 2019 - 04:33 PM.

#5 Kendahl

Kendahl

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pinedale, Arizona

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:50 PM

Read this book: Digital SLR Astrophotography, Second Edition by Michael Covington. It's available from Amazon.

If you already own a DSLR, start with it. If not, buy a used Canon or Nikon off eBay or from a used equipment dealer like KEH.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics