•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PhD2 guiding with ZWO on Mac

astrophotography equipment imaging refractor
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:49 PM

Hi Folks,  

I own a ZWO1290 monochrome mini that I'll use for guiding.   I was wondering if anyone has used the Mac version of PhD2 with this camera successfully on a MacBook Pro running Mojave.

Thanks,  Mike

#2 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:59 AM

Hi Folks,  

I own a ZWO1290 monochrome mini that I'll use for guiding.   I was wondering if anyone has used the Mac version of PhD2 with this camera successfully on a MacBook Pro running Mojave.

Thanks,  Mike

I have and it had worked fine...But as others have mentioned..Astro-Photo is a PC world...So although I am a MAC fanboy my astronomy stuff is now a PC-Laptop, much easier than trying work arounds..

• marinaldi likes this

#3 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:38 AM

I have and it had worked fine...But as others have mentioned..Astro-Photo is a PC world...So although I am a MAC fanboy my astronomy stuff is now a PC-Laptop, much easier than trying work arounds..

Thanks Delta you maybe correct but I'll attempt to stick to my Mac until I'm pushed off :-)

#4 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:40 AM

Thanks Delta you maybe correct but I'll attempt to stick to my Mac until I'm pushed off :-)

You indicated that you had and it worked so why have did you switch to the the PC world?  Was it a PhD2 issues or other software not related to PhD2?

#5 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:50 AM

You indicated that you had and it worked so why have did you switch to the the PC world?  Was it a PhD2 issues or other software not related to PhD2?

That pushover was I wanted use BackyardEOS as well as some night planning software all Windows based..The processing I use a Mac (Imac Pro)...I haven't used SkyX, too much money for me for the few times I would use it...I used VmFusion to use them on my MacBook Pro, but found it cumbersome...(For me anyway)..Also, I didn't want my 4000 thousand dollar Mac full of dew..!!  I bought a fairly tricked out Dell for 700 bucks at Bestbuy and things became easier for me...There is a TON of knowledge on here by some really awesome people that use Macs that love to share...Look for em !! Also a good guru for PHD2 is Trevor at https://astrobackyar...m/phd2-guiding/ ...Great help as well.....

Edited by Delta608, 24 July 2019 - 11:53 AM.

• marinaldi likes this

#6 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

That pushover was I wanted use BackyardEOS as well as some night planning software all Windows based..The processing I use a Mac (Imac Pro)...I haven't used SkyX, too much money for me for the few times I would use it...I used VmFusion to use them on my MacBook Pro, but found it cumbersome...(For me anyway)..Also, I didn't want my 4000 thousand dollar Mac full of dew..!!  I bought a fairly tricked out Dell for 700 bucks at Bestbuy and things became easier for me...There is a TON of knowledge on here by some really awesome people that use Macs that love to share...Look for em !! Also a good guru for PHD2 is Trevor at https://astrobackyar...m/phd2-guiding/ ...Great help as well.....

Thanks!!

#7 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:12 PM

Im curious, how did ya make out..??

#8 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:03 PM

I use a Mac and that camera both with PHD2 and other guiding software. There’s a misconception that you can’t do it all with the Mac, and those people are wrong. There is more diversity in programs on the PC, but there is nothing that you can’t do on the Mac. Just check out my website below. Every image shot and edited on the Mac.

Edited by Lead_Weight, 04 August 2019 - 12:05 PM.

• Ron359 likes this

#9 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• Loc: -105 +39

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:26 PM

I use a Mac and that camera both with PHD2 and other guiding software. There’s a misconception that you can’t do it all with the Mac, and those people are wrong. There is more diversity in programs on the PC, but there is nothing that you can’t do on the Mac. Just check out my website below. Every image shot and edited on the Mac.

yeah,  I've used PHD along with Nebulosity on Macbooks with very few problems since the day they came out. Both are mac natives by the same guy and made to work together.  Why anyone would think they need to run PHD or some other cam op app on Win 'just cause' everyone else might is beyond me.  

#10 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:59 AM

yeah,  I've used PHD along with Nebulosity on Macbooks with very few problems since the day they came out. Both are mac natives by the same guy and made to work together.  Why anyone would think they need to run PHD or some other cam op app on Win 'just cause' everyone else might is beyond me.  

May I ask what camera(s) you are using with Nebulosity...?? As I have nothing but problems with my Mac/Nebulosity/Atik 383L+...From Nebulosity website. "Atik legacy and modern (Mac support is spotty still as there are issues in Atik's Mac library)..Nothing has changed in years...

#11 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:57 AM

May I ask what camera(s) you are using with Nebulosity...?? As I have nothing but problems with my Mac/Nebulosity/Atik 383L+...From Nebulosity website. "Atik legacy and modern (Mac support is spotty still as there are issues in Atik's Mac library)..Nothing has changed in years...

I know Craig Stark who wrote Nebulosity isn't as active in updating to the latest drivers. (Most drivers on the Mac are imbedded into the application itself) You should try the beta version he has on his site, which has more up to date drivers than the last official release. If that doesn't work, I suggest trying AstroImager by Cloudmakers, as their drivers are regularly updated to work with all cameras.

• Delta608 likes this

#12 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:14 AM

I know Craig Stark who wrote Nebulosity isn't as active in updating to the latest drivers. (Most drivers on the Mac are imbedded into the application itself) You should try the beta version he has on his site, which has more up to date drivers than the last official release. If that doesn't work, I suggest trying AstroImager by Cloudmakers, as their drivers are regularly updated to work with all cameras.

Thanks for the info....I will D/L tonight and try it with my MacBook Pro...(I would much rather use it..) Thanks

#13 lucutes

lucutes

Ranger 4

• Loc: Western Canada

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:51 PM

I use AstroImager and PHD with no problems on my MacBook Pro.

#14 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• Loc: -105 +39

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:16 AM

. I mostly use canon dslrs but recently an atik383L+ A few times with no problem so far. Also use a Meade dsi pro for guiding with PHD2.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, equipment, imaging, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics