•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Outreach ideas... sharing the view..what do you think?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:46 PM

Invited to a local impromptu  star party /public outreach... with several scopes to bring along I wanna be able to share the views live, so with a cheap 20 dollar webcam , superglue and a piece of PVC I built a camera setup that fits over the eyepiece.  This will only work for planetary and some lunar viewing..   deep sky I have yet to find out.   Anyhow, with an app called camerafi loaded into my Galaxy  tablet, a cheap thrift store tripod, utg cable and USB extension cable  I am able to share LIVE views of Jupitor and Saturn without worry of someone bumping the scope.  Placing the camera over the eyepiece, plug in the utg cable then the extension USB, power up the tablet on it's own tripod away from the scope I am able to share with the public my interest in the heavens above.

I also will bring along a folding chair, and my other tablet connected by bluetooth to the first for more visitors... 

Still trying to get something set up so anyone with a cell and bluetooth could watch, maybe take still photos of what the camera sees.

0723192032.jpg 0723192028.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 0723192025.jpg

• Ptarmigan, Francopoli and jerobe like this

#2 Francopoli

Francopoli

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio Valley, USA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:43 PM

We do this, but with galaxies and targets like the Rosette and the Lagoon etc.  Works well, everyone can see and you can talk about what the object is and how the gear works.

• Ptarmigan and Jeff Struve like this

#3 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:51 AM

Works well... we have a number of EAA rigs set up in various places where it doesn't impact the visual scopes... while guests wait to peek thru an eyepiece, they can see the object... give rise to why the pic looks different than via the eyepiece...

#4 Pharquart

Pharquart

Messenger

• Loc: Southwest Minneapolis Metro

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:45 AM

Are you using an eyepiece, or is the webcam looking directly into the diagonal?  I have tried some outreach EAA using a Samsung 435 camera at prime focus (no eyepiece, camera mounted directly into diagonal) but have not got anything like the detail in your picture.  I'm in a very similar telescope (8" SCT) as what you show.

Brian

#5 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:50 PM

I am using an eyepiece,  plossels  mostly , the frame rate adjustable. 

The  pic of Jupiter shown  was was taken from one of the best frames and blown up, this one used as an example , not the real thing.   The real live view much smaller , a bit out of focus , depending on the air currents .  But you get the idea what could be done with patience and good conditions .

The idea was to give the public an idea what's out there in the night sky , and to look up, explore, and appreciate without bumping the scope, giving everyone the chance to look .

• Ptarmigan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics