•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Voyager question #2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:13 PM

Got everything setup, then hit connect.  Everything connects and is green (including the Celestron motor focuser), except Autofocus-Robofire sends a red error message:

"Object reference not set to instance of an object"

Anyone been there, can explain and/or provide a solution?

Edited by bobzeq25, 23 July 2019 - 09:14 PM.

#2 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:35 PM

Did you install the latest driver for the Celestron Focus Motor? Did you go into the ASCOM config at least one time as well? 

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:47 PM

Did you install the latest driver for the Celestron Focus Motor? Did you go into the ASCOM config at least one time as well? 

Yes and yes (more than once).  The focuser connects, it moves, I even recalibrated it.

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:48 AM

It suddenly started working.  Going to have to do some serious reading on Voyager, it's not intuitive.  Imagine that.  <smile>

• ChrisWhite likes this

#5 kathyastro

kathyastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:37 AM

"Object reference not set to instance of an object"

That is an indication of defective software.  No application should ever give that message to a user.  The message is for the software developer, telling him that he screwed up and needs to do more testing.

• rgsalinger likes this

#6 Leonardo70

Leonardo70

Vendor (Starkeeper Software)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Turin - Italy

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:47 AM

Yes kathyastro ... Voyager is really a terrible software !

Thanks, i'll do more testing.

#7 Leonardo70

Leonardo70

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:57 AM

It suddenly started working.  Going to have to do some serious reading on Voyager, it's not intuitive.  Imagine that.  <smile>

Select an ASCOM Focuser for RoboFire is requested when you select this kind of AutoFocus. A field selector will appear (and only for this kind of control) under primary control. If you leave to "None" the selection field you receive this error. I'll add a better error message.

Thanks for your interest in Voyager, i'm not reading everytime this forum. 

All the best

LO

#8 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

Select an ASCOM Focuser for RoboFire is requested when you select this kind of AutoFocus. A field selector will appear (and only for this kind of control) under primary control. If you leave to "None" the selection field you receive this error. I'll add a better error message.

Thanks for your interest in Voyager, i'm not reading everytime this forum. If need more help please join our community or write direct to support, link about in the Voyager Resource menĂ¹.

All the best

LO

Thanks.  Just, for your information, as you look at this issue.  I had already selected ASCOM focuser for Robofire, and had clicked the ASCOM button, and connected to and set up the focuser in ASCOM.  During my initial setup.  And was still getting the message.  I restarted Voyager several times.

I honestly have no idea why it started working.

Where is your community located?  Is there a forum?

I did successfully shoot my first sequence (just a test) last night. 

The English wiki was very helpful.  I think this will be a good program for me, once I learn about it.  Robofocus did work well, generated a nice looking curve in a short time.  I experimented with a number of Robofocus options.  I need to figure out which Robofocus option will be best for me, and how to configure it.

You've produced some fine software.  Thanks again.

Edited by bobzeq25, 24 July 2019 - 09:41 AM.

#9 Eric Horton

Eric Horton

Vostok 1

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:46 AM

These should help:

There is a public forum dedicated to Voyager :
https://forum.starkeeper.it/

There is also a joint Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/voyagersw/

A videotutorial channel  here:
https://www.voyagerastro.com/videos/

A video introduction to Voyager from Diego Colonnello here:
https://forum.starke...out-voyager/250

A new wiki unofficial from USA users found here:
https://voyager.tour...title=Main_Page

• bobzeq25 likes this

#10 Leonardo70

Leonardo70

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:48 AM

Probably you had setting up ASCOM but click cancel button in ASCOM form, in this case the ASCOM driver string name will be cleared and for Voyager is equal to no driver choosed.

RoboFire have an internal AI automa, usually the default setting are good for all at 99% . You can decide if use focus on a single star or with a field and for field if you want to use all field or a reduced part in %. This depends on your instrument type and on flat field correction.

All the best

LO

Edited by nmoushon, 02 September 2019 - 09:01 PM.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#11 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:08 AM

Probably you had setting up ASCOM but click cancel button in ASCOM form, in this case the ASCOM driver string name will be cleared and for Voyager is equal to no driver choosed.

Possible, but not "probable".  I've been doing this for 4+ years, have a _lot_ of computer experience here and elsewhere.  Went through the ASCOM process a few times.  I'd have had to make the mistake (an obvious one) more than once.

It's possible.

Thanks for the links.  I'll be asking my questions on that forum in the future.

Edited by bobzeq25, 24 July 2019 - 10:14 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics