•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lagoon and Trifid Nebulae at 13° elevation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:27 AM

My dark site is at 50°N.  That latitude and the almost midnight sun make targets like the Lagoon, Trifid, and Rho Ophiuchi very challenging.

• Canon 6D
  • Canon 200m f/2.8L prime lens at f/3.2
  • Best 25 of 34 30sec subs
  • Fornax LighTrack II with FMW-200 wedge
  • Polemaster
  • Homebrew camera power supply, dew heater controller, and intervalometer that supports Long Exposure Noise Reduction (LENR).
  • Bortle 2 site, 75% moon just over horizon, not quite dark at this time. I had just 1 hour of darkness 2019-07-21.
  • Check out how the median goes up over time in PI's SubFrameSelector.
  • I can get 300" subs with that gear, but since the moon was up I just took 30sec subs
  • My home brew intervalometer can convince the 6D to do LENR taking one dark per 4 lights, and doing in camera noise reduction. The cost is 20% of my time lost, the advantage is convenience and an excellent temperature match between lights and darks.

Astrobin link for higher image quality.

bQFbmUj.jpg

• Carol L, Starman27, jambroseus and 10 others like this

#2 oshimitsu

oshimitsu

Viking 1

• Loc: Batavia

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:37 AM

Excellent shot, superb considering the elevation!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics