•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SW Esprit 100 on Celestron AVX, which camera to get?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jan-Patrick

Jan-Patrick

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:01 AM

One month ago, I pulled the trigger on a SW 80ED and a Celestron AVX mount.
The scope case came damaged and I decided to return it. By then, I saw a good deal on a Esprit 100 (twice the price of the 80ED) and got this one instead.
I went only visual for now, but the moment my son looked through the eyepiece, he wanted to start taking pictures, and so did I.
So I am looking for a camera for this setup. I will probably get a dedicated camera, not DSLR.
My questions are:
Should I keep the AVX mount or get another mount right away, as I can still return it?
Which camera should I get?
Can I get away without guiding for now or should I get a guiding scope? If so, which one?
Thank you!

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:31 AM

What is your budget ?

Most popular entry level cameras are 294 based (color) and ZWO 1600 mono.

If color then get a cooled version but some say get a mono cam and filters.

But you can always practice with DSLR if you have one.

With such focal length scope you could get maybe 30-60s unguided images.

If you go guided 50mm finder guider will suffice.

#3 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:59 AM

My 2 cents...

Return the AVX.

Buy a Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro mount.

Buy a ZWO ASI1600MM-Pro + electronic filter wheel + filters combo kit.

Buy an Astromania 60mm guide scope

Buy a ZWO ASI120MM Mini camera for guiding.

There will be a bunch of other incidentals you will need (e.g. Bahtinov mask, dew heaters, etc.), but these are the big ticket items.  You will also need a computer to control all this, but you may already have that.

Of course this is very much aligned with my rig setup, but that’s the point when you ask our opinion.  I know it all works very well together.

Good luck,

-Ara

#4 Jan-Patrick

Jan-Patrick

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:12 AM

What is your budget ?

Most popular entry level cameras are 294 based (color) and ZWO 1600 mono.

If color then get a cooled version but some say get a mono cam and filters.

But you can always practice with DSLR if you have one.

With such focal length scope you could get maybe 30-60s unguided images.

If you go guided 50mm finder guider will suffice.

I don't have a fixed budget. Just not trying to regret buying equipment and streamline my sessions as much as I can.

As of now, I have been struggling with the polar scope on the AVX, and thought it to be too light when moderate wind blows.

I have a Pentax DSLR and will try it. 

#5 Jan-Patrick

Jan-Patrick

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:49 AM

My 2 cents...

Return the AVX.

Buy a Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro mount.

Buy a ZWO ASI1600MM-Pro + electronic filter wheel + filters combo kit.

Buy an Astromania 60mm guide scope

Buy a ZWO ASI120MM Mini camera for guiding.

There will be a bunch of other incidentals you will need (e.g. Bahtinov mask, dew heaters, etc.), but these are the big ticket items.  You will also need a computer to control all this, but you may already have that.

Of course this is very much aligned with my rig setup, but that’s the point when you ask our opinion.  I know it all works very well together.

Good luck,

-Ara

I was already thinking about the EQ6-R. I'll take your advice since you have both. I was just afraid the interface on it would be too complicated.

I want to use my mac, if possible. I've ditched windows for personal use a long time ago and never looked back.

#6 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:39 AM

Id return the AVX and get an az-eq5. Imo an asi183mm would be a great match for the refractor.

#7 Jan-Patrick

Jan-Patrick

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:47 AM

Id return the AVX and get an az-eq5. Imo an asi183mm would be a great match for the refractor.

Why do you recommend the az-eq5 and not the eq6-r ?

#8 durak

durak

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:11 PM

I won't argue that the 183mm is a good match for the scope but I believe the larger pixels on the asi1600mm would be much more forgiving for a beginner. 

#9 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:09 PM

I was already thinking about the EQ6-R. I'll take your advice since you have both. I was just afraid the interface on it would be too complicated.

I want to use my mac, if possible. I've ditched windows for personal use a long time ago and never looked back.

Agh, I should have been clear to note that all of the equipment I recommended works well together ON WINDOWS.   I am not a Mac user and cannot vouch for driver or compatibility on OSX :(  Apologies, that seems like a crucial piece I left out...

#10 Jan-Patrick

Jan-Patrick

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:02 PM

Ara, from what I’ve seen it looks as if most stuff is made for windows unfortunately. Maybe I’ll have to get a cheap windows laptop for that...

#11 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:25 PM

Ara, from what I’ve seen it looks as if most stuff is made for windows unfortunately. Maybe I’ll have to get a cheap windows laptop for that...

That's what I did. Do yourself a favor and get a cheap pc laptop and use it just for the capture.

Seriously, I've been using Macs for the last 20 years and trying to make APs using one is complicating your life for free. The AP is complicated enough wink.gif .

• Bretw01 likes this

#12 Jan-Patrick

Jan-Patrick

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2019 - 01:05 AM

I won't argue that the 183mm is a good match for the scope but I believe the larger pixels on the asi1600mm would be much more forgiving for a beginner. 

Hmm, the ASI1600mm kit would definitely break the bank right now. What about the ASI071MC or the ASI294MC? 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics