•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Would you purchase a used A-P 1100 GTO mount on AstroMart under these conditions?

accessories mount
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:30 AM

Dear Folks,

I apologise if I am testing the patience of the crowd but I want to poll opinions. I have already discussed this with Dhaval and he has been extremely helpful. 

Question: Would you purchase a used A-P 1100 GTO mount on AstroMart under these conditions?

1. The seller has no rating and joined 2 days before posting the ad. 

2. The mount appears to be in Europe, but the seller lists himself as being US-based. The seller appears to be going back to the US soon. 

3. When asked if I can travel to Europe to see the mount, the seller agrees (I could, in principle do this). 

4. The seller is happy to accept payment via PayPal and PayPal tell me the purchase will be covered by buyers protection. 

5. The seller has responded to email queries and sent photos; the mount looks impeccable but who knows if these photos are genuine. 

6. The CB is the CP3GTO version and it comes with a PemPro licence. (handset, CW and manual also)

7. The seller says they are the only owner and have had the mount for 4 years. 

Many thanks for your consideration. 

Simon

Edited by SimonIRE, 24 July 2019 - 03:31 AM.

#2 Dwight56

Dwight56

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:59 AM

The seller states that he prefers pickup so you can to his location and check things out first hand. I don't see a problem as far as his picture is concerned it looks genuine so I don't see a problem there you can always request more photo's.

Dwight

#3 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:10 AM

Simon,

If you can go to where the mount is located and pay him via PayPal there then it will be the best thing to do. 

I think that is a very good mount and you will be extremely happy with it. If the mount had been in the US, I would have gotten it!

CS! 

#4 Stephen Kennedy

Stephen Kennedy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:15 AM

Every body was new and did not have a rating at one time so that in and of itself does not mean there is a problem.  If the seller is U.S. based and will soon be returning to the U.S. and the mount is currently in Europe it is understandable that he may want to sell the mount in Europe rather than bear the expense and accept the risks of damage in transit if he tried to bring it back to the U.S.  

#5 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:23 AM

Could be a great deal or a pig in a poke bag of worms. If it smells fishy don't eat it. There will always be other deals out there so why fret over this particular mount? If the situation concerns you pass it by. You'll sleep better.

#6 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:14 AM

Just for an update.

I asked for some more photos of the control box and I was sent the same photos except slightly enlarged. I then explained that I needed some new photos and was met with minor resistance. I then asked for a short phone video of the mount and was told there were problems uploading the video to google drive. I provided shared DropBox folder. From a rapid flurry of responses to radio silence. 

I am, of course presuming, that selling an item for many thousands of pounds is worth the hassle of dealing with a real but cautious buyer for 1 day (and taking on the spot photos at the very least should be easy, I think). 

Could be very wrong...but there is a smell of fish coming through my key board.

Edited by SimonIRE, 24 July 2019 - 11:14 AM.

• bmhjr likes this

#7 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:03 PM

Email Daleen at astrophysics and ask if he bought the mount.  I have done that when importing a 900 from Canada and needed origin papers.

• dhaval and dapalmer like this

#8 ArkabPriorSol

ArkabPriorSol

Vostok 1

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:05 PM

If you're able to meet them in person to check out the mount first hand, why worry? Also if you pay using PayPal with buyer protection you don't have to worry anyway. 

#9 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:05 PM

I second what Dean is saying. If you have the Serial Number from the mount, that will be great. If not, A-P manages a list of their buyers. It cannot hurt to call Daleen. With the kind of last name the seller has, it might be easy to find out!

CS! 

#10 neomonks

neomonks

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: South Florida

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:16 PM

Just for an update.

I asked for some more photos of the control box and I was sent the same photos except slightly enlarged. I then explained that I needed some new photos and was met with minor resistance. I then asked for a short phone video of the mount and was told there were problems uploading the video to google drive. I provided shared DropBox folder. From a rapid flurry of responses to radio silence. 

I am, of course presuming, that selling an item for many thousands of pounds is worth the hassle of dealing with a real but cautious buyer for 1 day (and taking on the spot photos at the very least should be easy, I think). 

Could be very wrong...but there is a smell of fish coming through my key board.

Tell-Tale signs of a scam, I would not go meet in person.

#11 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:31 PM

Hilarious....

When I asked again for a new photo with the serial number I got a private message on AstroMart

“Do NOT send me money”.....

Bullet dodged...

I was about a mm away from handing over the cash...

Edited by SimonIRE, 24 July 2019 - 01:31 PM.

• dhaval and bmhjr like this

#12 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

Hilarious....

When I asked again for a new photo with the serial number I got a private message on AstroMart

“Do NOT send me money”.....

Bullet dodged...

I was about a mm away from handing over the cash...

Some people are complete jerks.....

Well, glad you dodged the bullet on that one. Like someone said, there will be other deals. In fact, there is a AP1200 on AM in Europe right now - that will be just as good. I know because I have one. Maybe you should pursue that one. 

CS! 

#13 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:52 PM

Wonder if you saw this - 

https://astromart.co...mount-in-europe

I am not sure what to make of it?

If he is so hell bent upon being nice, I wonder why he will not send images of SN? I realize he's making a sarcastic post, but that is just pathetic.

Once again, I don't think it makes sense for the person to be making such posts - wonder why the admins on AM allowed such a classified.

CS! 

#14 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:53 PM

Jeepers....

Check this out

Blimey...

#15 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

Wonder if you saw this -

I am not sure what to make of it?

If he is so hell bent upon being nice, I wonder why he will not send images of SN? I realize he's making a sarcastic post, but that is just pathetic.

Once again, I don't think it makes sense for the person to be making such posts - wonder why the admins on AM allowed such a classified.

CS!

I saw it too...bizarre and moderately creepy

#16 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:04 PM

What kind of joke is this?

#17 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

I tried calling A-P to find out if such a person bought the said mount but they won't divulge any information without a S/N, so unless the person provides a S/N, A-P can't help as well.

CS! 

#18 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:14 PM

That was some display of naked thievery

He accepted PayPal - I assume I could have got a refund but he still would have got my cash. He estimated shipping from Denmark to the UK at 163 euro. And he accepted an offer of 6k without any argument - based on availability of this model, waiting times and the extras, his original offering of 6.3k was a very good price. I was surprised he was such a pushover. Lastly the photos looked almost showroom condition. That concerned me. 4 years of use leaves minor cosmetic blemishes even in the hands of the most saintly owner.

Lesson learned

Edited by SimonIRE, 24 July 2019 - 02:16 PM.

#19 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

Herb can be funny sometimes ;)

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#20 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

yeah, said story actually...

better story : lately i sold my OO F/4.5 to a guy in Finland.(of all places)

Much to my surprise...

A long way from Belgium.But we seem to trusted each other..and everything work out just fine.

Worried about the shipping though but the scope arrived fine...but took a full week to get there.

Well afterall it has a fine mirror of 98.3 strehl....

#21 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:30 PM

I’ll show my inner geek now...

I work at Imperial College in London, in AI research. We have an image search algorithm (similar to Google’s image search) and tried to match his photos with images on the internet - anywhere. When I couldn’t find them I was assured they probably were genuine.

Moral of the story; don’t trust AI.....yet
  • F.Meiresonne and dhaval like this

#22 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:35 PM

So the question on this ad who is the identity victim and who is the real thief?

#23 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:40 PM

So the question on this ad who is the identity victim and who is the real thief?

Hi Dean,

What do you mean? Surely it’s a fake name and bogus account...no?

#24 neomonks

neomonks

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: South Florida

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:42 PM

I’ll show my inner geek now...

I work at Imperial College in London, in AI research. We have an image search algorithm (similar to Google’s image search) and tried to match his photos with images on the internet - anywhere. When I couldn’t find them I was assured they probably were genuine.

Moral of the story; don’t trust AI.....yet

Actually google search for "Astrophysics AP1100" returns the original owner details of this mount.

https://www.reddit.c...1100gto_german/

End of second paragraph has the image links to this particular mount.

#25 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:44 PM

It showed 2 different names so I was thinking the thief had stolen someone elses identity?

But now that the price is more reasonable at $63k I may be interested :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics