•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Would you purchase a used A-P 1100 GTO mount on AstroMart under these conditions?

accessories mount
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 cytan299

cytan299

Viking 1

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:00 PM

Good advice. I know that PayPal will refund but it’s reassuring to hear it first hand. Thanks for that

But note, the refund is not instantaneous. They first ask you to resolve with the seller first. If it cannot be resolved, then PayPal gets involved. It can take more than 4 weeks to get your money back. So it’s best not to fall for a scam to begin with. But the money does get returned ... eventually.

cytan

Edited by cytan299, 26 July 2019 - 01:00 PM.

#52 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:07 PM

A lot of people want to use the friends and family PayPal method to avoid the fees.  Don't do that since it is like giving them cash again.  If you have to, then give them the extra money so you can pay the fees.  But realistically, if someone is going to use PayPal for their sale, then the cost of that should be included in the price they want.  Asking for (or demanding) it without making it clear up front is bad form.  I always expect to be paying for the fees as part the price that was asked for the item or that it be clearly stated otherwise.

#53 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:20 PM

I just want to offer a counterpoint on PayPal.

I have never had a PayPal account, and I still had a problem with them that was inexcusable.  I purchased something through a vendor that cleared the credit card transaction through PayPal.  I had no idea that they would do this.

When I got the bill, there were three hundred duplicate charges on my bill.  They all had some cryptic business name that included the word PayPal, plus some code for whatever the vendor was (and to be honest, I don't even know which vendor it was to this day).  This should have been an easy matter to clear up, as it was obvious what had happened.  When I contacted PayPal, they were not interested in helping out at all.  They begrudgingly agreed to reverse a subset of the charges, but not all of them (seriously; it was like they admitted that they made a mistake, but thought that I should bear some of the cost).

I ended up going back to my own credit card company, which did charge backs for all but one of the transactions.  I never want to deal with PayPal again.  Ever.

My point is that most of the time, you are fine to use PayPal.  But if you ever have a problem with them, they are not required to follow any of the rules that normal financial institutions do.  They are known to make arbitrary decisions on occasion, and I have first hand knowledge of that.  If you are ever on the wrong side of their error, heaven help you.  They are definitely not your friend.

• MGD likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics