•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The nebular complex around Gamma Cygni (IC1318)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 *Axel*

*Axel*

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:45 PM

Hi guys,

The cool thing about the canon 200mm is that it offers a nice wild-field lens that can be stopped down around F4 or slightly below.

Therefore I decided to head for IC1318 and baaaaam what a field!!!  Highly resampled and compressed to fit the upload limit of the forum

Of note: I'm more and more disappointed by the ZWO O3 filter... it leaves large halos and is may be not narrow enough for my highly LP skies so large blocks of chunk pass through...

CN.jpg

Full version here : https://astrob.in/416992/0/

I hope you'll like it!

C&C welcome

CS

Axel

Edited by *Axel*, 26 July 2019 - 12:05 PM.

• Gregory, schmeah, dmdouglass and 16 others like this

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Vanguard

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:36 PM

Gorgeous wide field, Axel. Thanks for sharing it!

Regarding the ZWO OIII filter...having heard the halo issue stories, when I got my narrowbands I picked the ZWO Ha and SII, but went with a Baader OIII.  No halo issues on any of the three...

• *Axel* likes this

#3 *Axel*

*Axel*

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:04 PM

Gorgeous wide field, Axel. Thanks for sharing it!

Regarding the ZWO OIII filter...having heard the halo issue stories, when I got my narrowbands I picked the ZWO Ha and SII, but went with a Baader OIII.  No halo issues on any of the three...

Thanks Paul,

About the Baader O3 filter, did you buy the Ultra Narrowband 4,5 nm version? Do you have a ABIN account or a single exposure to show me?

I'm trying to narrow down my options and so far it range from

• Baader Ultra Narrowband 4,5 nm @€250
  • Astrodon 5nm @€500
  • Astrodon 3nm @€700

I hope the Baader is a significant step-up from the zwo.

Cs

Axel

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Vanguard

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:00 PM

Hi Axel,

I got the Baader 8.5nm filter, not the "ultra-narrowband."  I felt it was a closer match to the 7nm ZWO Ha and SII.

Here's a single (calibrated) frame from a shot of the Western Veil, 4 minutes @ gain 100 on a William Optics Z61 (f/5.9) doublet.

No halos smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• BaaderO3_4min_veil.jpg

• *Axel* likes this

#5 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest IL (for now)

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:19 PM

What a fabulous image, and I love the fact that you captured the Crescent Nebula and the color you’re able to bring out! Outstanding. 

• *Axel* likes this

#6 *Axel*

*Axel*

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:48 PM

Hi Axel,

I got the Baader 8.5nm filter, not the "ultra-narrowband."  I felt it was a closer match to the 7nm ZWO Ha and SII.

Here's a single (calibrated) frame from a shot of the Western Veil, 4 minutes @ gain 100 on a William Optics Z61 (f/5.9) doublet.

No halos smile.gif

Indeed it looks fine! Thanks for sharing the data waytogo.gif

What a fabulous image, and I love the fact that you captured the Crescent Nebula and the color you’re able to bring out! Outstanding. 

Thanks Mike, I'm glad you like the global tone of the image and you are right the Crescent adds a nice secondary point of interest.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics