•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar without Star/Moon Maps?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jragsdale

jragsdale

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:24 PM

Hello,

I'm curious why this 1968 Questar (DP CV BB) doesn't have the moon or star maps on it? Was this an option to get "blank"?

Thanks,

Jordan 

Attached Thumbnails

• 00X0X_l4PXAHoCPeD_600x450.jpg

#2 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:00 PM

Yes mine is a 67  - it could be ordered without the astro jazz. Mine did not come with a dew shield rither- that's the way it was ordered.  I guess the original owner- used it more for terrestrial? Who knows!

• jragsdale likes this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:00 PM

We had some 7-inch Questar OTAs at work, that we used as collimators. They were just plain... and I believe were "hardened" for industrial use?    Tom

• jragsdale likes this

#4 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:34 PM

This is a Duplex scope and not the Standard model. It has the detachable barrel that is the Field model. This is normally provided blank because of the non astronomical Field uses. A star chart and possibly moon map were offered as options. Because of the shortened dew shield the star chart is both stretched in longitude and has a gap below. A nice collectible but arguably not the ideal expression of Questar aesthetics as in the moon and star normal versions of the Standard.

A blank version of the Standard dew shield (and presumably moon map) was an option and I have an unusual purple blank dew shield that was purchased by a buyer who perhaps couldn’t decide.
  • jragsdale likes this

#5 jragsdale

jragsdale

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:05 AM

This scope probably holds the record for "Most Northerly Original Delivery". 😂 71° North!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190726_230217.jpg

• R Botero likes this

#6 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:07 AM

My 1975 Duples has the star chart dew shield, but no Moon map.  I like it that way.

• Matt Looby and jragsdale like this

#7 jragsdale

jragsdale

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:38 AM

This is a Duplex scope and not the Standard model. It has the detachable barrel that is the Field model.

Can you elaborate? Not sure what you mean about the detachable barrel is the field model. I'm a Questar newbie.

#8 JREnglar

JREnglar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:39 AM

My 1968 Duplex is also just plain purple on the tube and dew shield as well. A previous owner had also purchased a light blue dew shield with star map at some point but I prefer the plain originals.

JRE

#9 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 27 July 2019 - 07:02 AM

I purchased a field model from one of our members and was able to get a star chart dew shield to go with it which I like very much. On the other hand, I must admit the solid purple scope and dew shield look very nice to me. It does not surprise me that when Questar did something they did it right and Questars all are beautiful telescopes whether the scope was provided with a star map, moon map or
solid purple dew shield.

Jim

#10 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 27 July 2019 - 07:08 AM

Same here, mine started out as a Field model and was upgraded to a Duplex.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0211.jpg

• Matt Looby, drprovi57, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#11 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, NZ

Posted 28 July 2019 - 02:46 PM

So was mine.

I love the blue in daylight. I am still tempted however to get a star chart dew shield.

IMG_1389.jpg

• Matt Looby, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#12 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:48 PM

Lovely.

#13 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:22 AM

I love the star map on the dew shield and the underlying moon map on the tube. Agreeably, it’s more of a gimmick than a real tool, yet one can get one’s bearings to some degree anyway if they don’t know the sky all that well, and it does add to the ‘everything in one box’ mini-observatory theme. More importantly tho, in my mind it’s just one more piece that gives the Questar it’s distinctive look. Well, that and the mystic purple color of course! ;)

• Kevin Barker likes this

#14 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:26 AM

I might add that there is certainly a lovely, almost bashful simplicity in the unadorned and unshielded blue and purple versions! Let’s just agree that everything Questar is wonderful! blush.gif

• Matt Looby, Kevin Barker, Mike E. and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics