•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The "Maurolycus Beam" on July 23rd, 2019

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 John_Moore

John_Moore

Author: Craters of the Nearside Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:56 PM

Of course, as the 'Maurylocus Beam' isn't officially recognised, it might, as well, be referenced correctly as such: that shown in the Astrolexi post above, Tom Glenn's second image, (and animated attempt), as well as Stickler's .

Reference, of course, must be noted to Lindhard's and Tom Glenn's other views, which are slight variations-on-a-theme.

The 'beam' really refers to that as seen here and here (it looks almost slither-like...depending on time of observations)...the latter, whilst the simpler, puts across its theme, don't you think. 

John Moore

Edited by John_Moore, 12 September 2019 - 11:29 PM.

#27 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Viking 1

• Loc: Arcata, Ca.

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:33 PM

Tom mentioned to me yesterday in a message that I likely caught the Maurolycus Beam while imaging early yesterday.  Tom - you were indeed correct and here is what I captured.

attachicon.gif Maurolycus-Beam.jpg

I'm super interested in this...  I don't get it.  Where is the "beam?"  Can you put an arrow on the moon for me?  

I don't know if anyone has seen Nasa's 1968 list of Lunar Phenomena, but there's tons of flashing, bright spots, and rays...  love to know what they were...

Joe

#28 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:39 PM

Not being an expert about the 'Maurolycus Beam', but I always thought it to be as the below highlighted - judging from the description here by David Kingsley: "The overall effect was like an island lighthouse in the middle of a dark ocean, with a search light projecting like a beam across the blackness of the ocean."

It sounds as an appropriate description to that like, say, a 'beam of light', as it is different to the 'Light Rays' effect seen in some craters.

John Moore

MaurolycusBeam

#29 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Viking 1

• Loc: Arcata, Ca.

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:53 PM

Bought your book! Thanks for the link!  Too bad there's no Kindle version.  Be great for the field.

Joe

• John_Moore likes this

#30 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:36 PM

Joe, many thanks for the interest...much appreciated. The conversion from the physical book to the electronic version is quite complicated (loads of editing for such an image-based work is required etc.,).

Personally, I like the feel of an actual book 'in the hand', so, perhaps, that's kicking in...don't know really. I'm not a Kindle user, so apologies to you who use it (perhaps, an electronic version is due....thanks to your suggestion and interest...who knows???).

John Moore

Edited by John_Moore, 27 September 2019 - 07:24 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics