•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Revolution Imager?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 5stringer

5stringer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

Managing the cables for the Revolution Imager can be a bit of a hassle. During an outreach event, I find that bystanders have to continually move around as the telescope points to a different part of the sky if the LCD is attached to the tube. And if it isn't attached to the tube (such as sitting on a table), then the cables get in the way. So I added some simple hardware to let the LCD be completely remote, up to maybe 20 feet from the scope. This cleans up the cables and lets people gather around the display while I manage the scope. Here's a photo of my scope pointing to a neighbor's landscaping with the display sitting on a card table and no cables in between. 

Remote LCD for Revolution Imager

Remote LCD

Edited by 5stringer, 07 November 2019 - 02:30 PM.

• Ashenshugar likes this

#27 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:21 PM

Very clever

#28 Kisslija

Kisslija

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:39 PM

You may also want to ask if there is someone in your area who has a RI2 and you could see it in action.

I’m in the Nashville area and would gladly show anyone interested how mine works.

I am using my Canon T3i for more detailed images but I’ve also captured some great images from my RI2. For example, here is the dumbbell nebula taken with the RI2 and my 10” LX200R using SharpCap.  This was one of my first images and I didn’t spend much time on this image so it has some issues. But it was easy to acquire and what I like is I can show similar images on a screen (with or without a computer) when doing a viewing for neighborhood kids.  I purchased a generic Wi-Fi video transmitter so I can show images on an iPad. Multiple people can see the images / pass it around. 

I agree the USB cameras have many advantages such as fewer cables and easier camera controls via software when doing more serious imaging. But the RI2 is a great outreach camera when all I want to do is share some images without a computer. 

I was interested in making the move to EAA because I live in a city with a good amount of light pollution. The RI2 intrigued me as you did not need a computer in the field, it came with a 7" monitor and it was essentially a complete package. I also like that the images can be stacked almost instantly. I decided against it as it's an analog system. What I really want is a camera that is digital and can be potentially used wirelessly with an iPad or tablet for viewing in the field. Does this exist? I would like the ability to transfer the images to a PC at home for editing. I looked at the ASIAIR system but it seems as though it requires an EQ mount to be used. I should state that I have a Celestron 9.25" CPC with an alt/az fork mount. 

Also, Thifty, were you using the generic wifi video transmitter with the RI2 system or the Canon T3i?

#29 RandyF

RandyF

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:44 PM

Well whatever you do, do not get the RI2.  It is junk.  The camera came apart after a modest amount of use.  Their warranty period is only 90 days which should have been my first tip off.

#30 Kisslija

Kisslija

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:04 PM

Well whatever you do, do not get the RI2.  It is junk.  The camera came apart after a modest amount of use.  Their warranty period is only 90 days which should have been my first tip off.

Thanks Randy, I've ruled it out.

#31 RandyF

RandyF

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:17 AM

An update to my critical comments for the RI2. I called the US vendor and they will repair the camera at no charge to me. Even tho I am outside the 90-day warranty period.

Also, I found assembling the cables in the dark pretty confusing. So I assembled everything in daylight and attached matching zip ties to each connection. Problem solved.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics