•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PrimaLuceLab Eagle Review

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 chriscorkill

chriscorkill

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:23 PM

After using the Eagle for about three years I can comfortably say I would purchase this product all over again. Seeing the product in person and being able to hold it in my hand really helped with my decision to make my purchases with PrimaLuceLab. With it's ease of use, safety, customer support and conveniences, I say that this is a winner in my book. I would give this product a 9/10 stars.

Click here to view the article
  • TikiTom likes this

#2 duoglide98

duoglide98

Explorer 1

• Loc: NH

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:35 PM

I second that opinion. Remote operation with SGP is superb and cable management is great.

Also ECCO is great real time dew management.

Edited by duoglide98, 29 July 2019 - 03:38 PM.

• chriscorkill, Miker K and TikiTom like this

#3 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:54 PM

I have 2 of them now - again I'd buy one instantly 

My first (Eagle 2) was replaced under warranty due to wifi card issues but its replacement has been perfect 

and the 2nd (Eagle 3) is faster and integrates perfectly with the rest of the eagle plus parts I have 

it is buying into a system and costly at first but I love the fact I can drag Eagle out into the field and remote into it in AP mode or use it at home  on my house network in host mode and switch between the two easy

the new WIFI is strong and reliable and as its a windows PC it runs all my software fine - I even installed NINA on it this weekend and means I have the flexibiity to jump between SGP and NINA as I like using the same box.

I'll admit it seems expensive at first but by the time you buy a NUC PC, and kit that out with a power box then it starts to creep up 

My systems are all integrated so I literally now drop the whole scope, eagle and guidescope, ecco and all cables onto the mount as one lump

Its easy to change the Eagle from scope to scope and with SGP I have all the profiles set so I can change mount, cameras, scopes and even software instantly. 

Would I buy Eagle again - yes absolutely - Its revolutionized my AP setup and works very well in my setups. 

Highly recommended

rgds

Simon 

• Phil Jones, chriscorkill, Miker K and 1 other like this

#4 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

CEM60

• Alfredo Beltran and AndyK997 like this

#5 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 29 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

After using the Eagle for about three years I can comfortably say I would purchase this product all over again. Seeing the product in person and being able to hold it in my hand really helped with my decision to make my purchases with PrimaLuceLab. With it's ease of use, safety, customer support and conveniences, I say that this is a winner in my book. I would give this product a 9/10 stars.

Click here to view the article

I also had 2 units..

One was an Eagle2 and the other was an Eagle3. 

Sold the 3 here on CN and bought an Eagle Core, strictly for use w/ a DSLR and only works remotely with a mobile device (ie- phone, tablet, laptop) . 

I'll agree with the above comments about cable management and remote operation. I also like the USB and power port control.

The one thing I don't like is the cable termination plugs. 

The one thing I am trying to hunt down (used) is an ECCO 

----

and 

does anyone know what to use to upgrade the RAM and SSD drive for the Eagles? 

EDIT: I did find a 3rd party DIY supplier for the power plugs....

Edited by TikiTom, 29 July 2019 - 06:15 PM.

#6 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:06 PM

RAM upgrades - i think its just std laptop ram that fits any of the NUCs that Eagle uses - the chip fitted will show the model / voltage / speed etc 

SSD is just an MSATA - prob need some tools to do a migration from drive to drive 

plugs - I get mine from mouser usingtheir online store 

I like them - they dont come loose or pull apart :) 

Make your own cables and save a lot!

:)

• Miker K and TikiTom like this

#7 Richoff

Richoff

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ontario Canada

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

I'd love to get one, but the CAD is putting a crimp in the budget right now :(

• chriscorkill likes this

#8 junluo168

junluo168

Lift Off

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:04 AM

I'm thinking getting one especially with the free ECCO promotion. It is pricy at the beginning but I think I need something more than ASIAir (which is excellent BTW) after several months learning and imaging.

#9 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:13 AM

This is a great review but I have one question; what about dew and moisture?

If you leave this out all night with your kit and in the morning your scope and mount (and therefore the Eagle) is covered in dew, how does it handle that?

Oh, and just to add....to take it one step further, how do you think this would fare in a remote observatory over many many months (to a couple of years) i.e. in an environment that suffers from swings in temperature. I am not talking about anything extreme, but what one would see in a wooden RoR observatory?

Thanks for reading. 

Simon

#10 chriscorkill

chriscorkill

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:06 AM

This is a great review but I have one question; what about dew and moisture?

If you leave this out all night with your kit and in the morning your scope and mount (and therefore the Eagle) is covered in dew, how does it handle that?

Oh, and just to add....to take it one step further, how do you think this would fare in a remote observatory over many many months (to a couple of years) i.e. in an environment that suffers from swings in temperature. I am not talking about anything extreme, but what one would see in a wooden RoR observatory?

Thanks for reading. 

Simon

Hello Simon, apologies for the late reply as my internet has been experiencing problems. 

As for your questions, the Eagle doesn't really have a problem with dew because it generates enough heat to keep it dry usually. I've never had dew settle on the Eagle and I'ved used the Eagle for years. The Eagle will help a lot in a remote observatory as you can remotely turn on some of the Eagles (Observatory/PRO editions as of now) and having an Eagle will prevent any snagging of cables which is a huge cause of problems in remote observatories. The Eagle isn't water proof but environmental swings and dew shouldn't hurt the Eagle. My current Eagle 2 has never once experienced an issue that was related to itself. 

Hope this helps!
Christopher Corkill

#11 WalterG

WalterG

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:38 PM

Tom,

Will you share your source for the 3rd party power plugs and what they are called. 

Thank you 

Walter 

I also had 2 units..

One was an Eagle2 and the other was an Eagle3. 

Sold the 3 here on CN and bought an Eagle Core, strictly for use w/ a DSLR and only works remotely with a mobile device (ie- phone, tablet, laptop) . 

I'll agree with the above comments about cable management and remote operation. I also like the USB and power port control.

The one thing I don't like is the cable termination plugs. 

The one thing I am trying to hunt down (used) is an ECCO 

----

and 

does anyone know what to use to upgrade the RAM and SSD drive for the Eagles? 

EDIT: I did find a 3rd party DIY supplier for the power plugs....

#12 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:47 PM

Im a little confused..So  using the Eagle3 without a doubt cleans up the scope as far as cable management goes..The connections (12v)  are all proprietary and I could not find a G-11 dedicated wire..and most that they do have are 50 bucks each and a grand for the computer, that you still need another Win-10 to hook up to it..So unless your scope is used remotely what is the point...?  Other  than cleanup...Seriously, I am a gadget guy and was all over it devouring as much info as possible...Was almost ready to purchase from Land & Sea until the propriety connections kicked in....

Edited by Delta608, 14 August 2019 - 07:12 PM.

• M Milligan likes this

#13 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

1. You don't need to buy ready made cables - if you can handle a soldering iron the connectors are available on mouser and you can make up what you want 

2. You don't need a W10 PC to remote to it - thats the beauty - it can be a Mac, or Windows 7 or an Ipad or android tablet ... whatever you can get a remote desktop client for.

3. Eagle will run SGP so you can automate a full nights imaging, control the whole deal from your arm chair or check in on it during the middle of the night from bed 

Its a lot more than just a computer and cable manager.

I have found it speeds up my setup time - I can be running in 10 mins now now 40 and break down in faster - unhook power, undo the dovetail and lift off the whole scope/eagle setup 

When you own one you will wonder how you didnt get one earlier - I now have 2 and love them to bits 

#14 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:18 PM

1. You don't need to buy ready made cables - if you can handle a soldering iron the connectors are available on mouser and you can make up what you want 

2. You don't need a W10 PC to remote to it - thats the beauty - it can be a Mac, or Windows 7 or an Ipad or android tablet ... whatever you can get a remote desktop client for.

3. Eagle will run SGP so you can automate a full nights imaging, control the whole deal from your arm chair or check in on it during the middle of the night from bed 

Its a lot more than just a computer and cable manager.

I have found it speeds up my setup time - I can be running in 10 mins now now 40 and break down in faster - unhook power, undo the dovetail and lift off the whole scope/eagle setup 

When you own one you will wonder how you didnt get one earlier - I now have 2 and love them to bits 

Thanks for the info....One more thing if I may...By making your own cables does a voltage regulator need to be inserted into each line. ie camera and Wheel..?

#15 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for the info....One more thing if I may...By making your own cables does a voltage regulator need to be inserted into each line. ie camera and Wheel..?

12V stuff no the Eagle is fully regulated 

for 8V stuff like DSLR you would need to adapter a cable but likely if a DSLR you have as 12V adapter cable - for example like the one I have for my D5300 

but for a cooled CMOS etc no - nothing else needed

• Delta608 likes this

#16 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:34 AM

Thank You very much....Im getting closer...!!  undecided.gif

• ZL4PLM likes this

#17 WalterG

WalterG

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:14 PM

I just purchased an Eagle3 after using a DIY mini-computer that I rigged up on my scope.  Yes, I did get the mini to work but struggled with flaky USB ports, not enough USB ports and power cords still hooked up to the source.  I gulped at the price but I purchased an Eagle3 last week.  What a difference!  I should have done this earlier.  Built-in power, switchable USB ports, more than one USB3 and the point to point WIFI is great ... no more Microsoft updates interpreting an imaging session or broken drives caused by Microsoft updates. Super easy to set up and load your own software.  I definitely would get another if a get a second imaging rig.

#18 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:34 PM

Simon or TikiTom...!!      Can a 3amp21 proprietary cable have a splitter...??   There does not seem to have enough power sources for me...I cant solder and risk blowing up a camera or my G-11 !!!!

#19 SgtErnestBilko

SgtErnestBilko

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Essex, UK

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:46 AM

Just got my Eagle3 and wished I'd done it ages ago !!!

Chris - can you tell me where you get your 90 degree USB cables I can find 90 degree USB-A to USB3.0-B, and micro C, but not Micro-B or Mini-B.

Thank you

• rrice likes this

#20 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:49 AM

Simon or TikiTom...!!      Can a 3amp21 proprietary cable have a splitter...??   There does not seem to have enough power sources for me...I cant solder and risk blowing up a camera or my G-11 !!!!

you can used a Y cable ok for low current apps

• Delta608 likes this

#21 OcativeOrg

OcativeOrg

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:32 PM

The Eagle is excellent. The company offered excellent detailed customer support by email and if need be they will Skype with you. The are EXCELLENT!!!

#22 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:29 PM

I'm happy to offer any advice on them - I have 2 now :)   One just wasnt enough!

#23 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

I'm happy to offer any advice on them - I have 2 now smile.gif   One just wasnt enough!

Ok...You asked for it...!!    Ordered it yesterday...

#24 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:38 PM

good on you :) you will love it 

now the fun starts :) 

its one item that you will use and go "why didnt I buy one sooner!"

:)

which model did you buy??

#25 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:47 PM

good on you smile.gif you will love it 

now the fun starts smile.gif

its one item that you will use and go "why didnt I buy one sooner!"

smile.gif

which model did you buy??

I bought the Eagle3s with the free ECCO..and a few PROPRIETY power cables...(I really had to swallow some pride to pay for a power cable !!)  Ill get over it..Oh, and a set of rings...Be prepared ..haha

Edited by Delta608, 20 August 2019 - 06:48 PM.

• Benrosen and ZL4PLM like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics