•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PrimaLuceLab Eagle Review

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#76 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:45 PM

1 Yes
2 As far as your camera has USB connectivity, you can live view and control remotely because your camera will be connected to the device by USB and the device gives you access to wifi. So, yes too.

#77 chriscorkill

chriscorkill

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:46 PM

That's interesting cause' I'm sending mine back!!!!

It is so unreliable with wifi, connecting with Desktop Remote, etc.

Mine even had a Corrupted file that initially prevented ANY WIFI CONNECTION WHAT SO EVER!!!!!

NOT HAPPY!!!!!

Sorry you are having problems with your Eagle. I would recommend contacting PrimaLuceLab support for help before returning it as it really is a useful tool. I hope you give the Eagle another chance because every company that has ever existed has produced a defective unit. One bad unit doesn't mean the Eagle isn't a good tool.

#78 milehighap

milehighap

Lift Off

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:01 PM

1 Yes
2 As far as your camera has USB connectivity, you can live view and control remotely because your camera will be connected to the device by USB and the device gives you access to wifi. So, yes too.

Any idea why I might be able to connect with my Canon 20D, but when I hit the button to take pictures it goes to the acquisition screen but nothing actually happens -  the red square spins for a second before returning to the home acquisition page.

I have the communication mode set to normal and the camera is in manual mode, bulb setting. Everything seems to connect fine (except EAGLE app doesn't relay battery info), but it just doesn't actually take the picture confused1.gif

#79 bjm

bjm

Explorer 1

• Loc: Bahamas

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:15 AM

Okay, I have the Eagle 3 and it's working well.

However...

I have it connected to an extender on my home network.  I accidentally knocked the extender out of it's wall socket this evening.  Didn't notice, and booted up the telescope and Eagle.  It's own network came up which was fine.  So i did the polar alignment etc. but then realised that I needed an internet connection for SGP to "mosaic wizard" a target.  That's when I looked and saw that I had disconnected the extender.  When I plugged it in I couldn't RDP into the Eagle.  I tried rebooting it (it has the extender network as default) but it wouldn't show.  Then I tried the "reset" button which (according to the manual) is meant to revert the Eagle to its own network.  All to no avail.  

Didn't have a remote screen or keyboard to get into the Eagle so the night was a wash.

Disappointing  (but hey, haven't we all been there before?).

Any ideas on what's going on?

PS This did happen when I first got the Eagle and I contacted them, all they said was hit the reset button... Hmmmm.   Didn't work then either.

PPS Entirely agree that this is a great product, I've tried the mini pc and the stellarmate options and they don't come close... (if only I could've got her to work tonight!)

#80 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:06 PM

12v in - TE T4110001031-000 m12 straight female 3p pg7

12v out - TE 4111001031-000 m12 male straight 3p pg7

Thanks for this information. Those Primalucelab cables are so expensive that I couldn't bring myself to buying them. It is an expensive ecosystem. These guys are selling some cables for almost $100, whereas if you get the various parts together, you make them for less than $20

Edited by kel123, 02 August 2020 - 06:30 PM.

#81 abasak

abasak

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 August 2020 - 04:33 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am having an issue remoting into the Eagle 3Pro when it is running in AP mode using MS RDP client in mac or ios. when i try to connect i  get the error "unable to connect to remote PC as there is not network connectivity". If i use a third party client however it works. The only problem on the third party client is the  resolution, i cant get it fit my work area size and it comes with scrollbars.

Have anyone faced similar issues. Also if i am running the Eagle3Pro in host mode it works directly from the MS RDP client. 

#82 astro_1

astro_1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA, Nebraska

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:15 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on this question that never received an answer?

"Which version of the Eagle3 would you recommend?  Choices are:  Eagle 3, Eagle3 Q, Eagle S, and Eagle3 Pro.  Is the basic version adequate or do you really need the Pro version or middle range versions?  The only software I'd have running all night would be Sequence Generator Pro, PhD2, Cartes du Ciel/Stellarium, and EQMod.  I don't need a lot of storage, since my images total less than 10GB in one night and I'd offload them the next day to free up space.  Just wondering what the better processors would help with.  Thanks."

I just got the Eagle3 Celeron version. It may be able to handle most astrophotography functions, but I have found it to start dropping many frames when doing planetary video capture, at least when trying to go faster than around 35fps. I believe this to be cpu not keeping up according to the performance monitor.

#83 Dan Garcia

Dan Garcia

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:01 PM

I have an Eagle 4s. This is my first attempt at astrophotography and I'm loving it. I have a question about the GPS feature. Is there any way to either cut and paste the coordinates from the Eagle 4 interface or even better let applications read them.? It would be great if I didn't have to input the coordinates when I move locations. Thanks for the help. 

#84 floroembuido

floroembuido

Lift Off

• Loc: Dallas

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:53 PM

I tried to play around with my eqascom setting to automatically set the gps from the eagle but could not make it work. I have to manually type the coordinates.

I have a Eagle4 pro and I have a problem with the GPS reception when the USB 3 is connnected to my ZWO camera. No matter which side of the Eagle USB 3 you connected, the gps reception will drop.  According to the Eagle4 manual, use a double shielded usb 3 cable, a ferrite bead on both end of the cable and use another gps antenna and stick it somewhere away from the Eagle like on the tripod. I tried using a shielded cable and wrap them again with a copper foil, put two ferrite beads on both ends and use the stock gps antenna, no luck! The signal would drop right after connecting it to the camera. Next I did was to put another type of gps antenna I bought from Amazon and place it where the stock antenna is connected, no luck!! I  placed the antenna about 5ft away from the Eagle and hanged it over our house window and this time I got the gps signal. Put the antenna on the floor, right beneath the tripod about 4ft below, no luck!

The USB 3 is known to emit RF signal that would interfere with the WIFI at 2.4 GHz as well as the GPS signal. As in my case, I think there's a design flaw with how the GPS and USB 3 are placed inside the Eagle. These components should be properly shielded inside and if it have, this has to be thoroughly  tested and made any design changes and NOT leaving to the end user to resolve the problem. I could not put a stick on the ground 5ft away from the Eagle and hang the gps antenna or put somewhere on the ground way too far from the tripod, or abandon the usb 3 and use 2 instead? not considering it.

I bought the Eagle 4 to simplify my cable management but instead it actually given me headache. My next step would be to put another type of rf shield wrap and stick it  around the Eagle where the USB 3 are located. Hopefully this thing works. If you have any other ideas just let me know and will try it. Appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Floro John

• HogeDiver likes this

#85 floroembuido

floroembuido

Lift Off

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:01 AM

Forgot to mention that USB 3 on EAGLE4 affects the WIFI 2.4. If you have 5G wifi then it is not a problem. I'm using RDP on EAGLE4 and wont connect using 2.4 WIFI when USB 3 is connected to camera. The ports are on both side of the EAGLE body, one side is next to a external WIFI antenna and the other USB 3 port on other side about 4inches away from the GPS antenna. Still waiting for my RF shield wrap to be delivered, Also sent an email to support from Primaluce.

Hopefully there will be DIY fix by allowing to shield components inside without voiding the warranty.

#86 Christine_Z

Christine_Z

Vostok 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:25 PM

Forgot to mention that USB 3 on EAGLE4 affects the WIFI 2.4. If you have 5G wifi then it is not a problem. I'm using RDP on EAGLE4 and wont connect using 2.4 WIFI when USB 3 is connected to camera. The ports are on both side of the EAGLE body, one side is next to a external WIFI antenna and the other USB 3 port on other side about 4inches away from the GPS antenna. Still waiting for my RF shield wrap to be delivered, Also sent an email to support from Primaluce.

Hopefully there will be DIY fix by allowing to shield components inside without voiding the warranty.

Something else to try too:

You have to boot into the Eagle 4 using an HDMI monitor connected and keyboard and mouse....

By default the Eagle prefers 2.4G networks....however it is 5G capable.

Go into your control panel and pull up the device manager and network adaptor. Change the wifi card (not the virtual AP settings, but the actually hardware card properties under the Advanced tab to "Dual Band...." and then the Preferred Band to 5Ghz band.

I did this and it cleared up drop outs almost entirely

GPS is another issue...I have a bunch of GPS antennas that we use for high powered rocket recovery, and none of those work either. I was going to try a remote antenna, but I would rather solve the noisy USB3 cable issue instead.

Edited by Christine_Z, 28 April 2021 - 09:32 PM.

• HogeDiver and Rafal73t like this

#87 floroembuido

floroembuido

Lift Off

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:03 PM

Something else to try too:

You have to boot into the Eagle 4 using an HDMI monitor connected and keyboard and mouse....

By default the Eagle prefers 2.4G networks....however it is 5G capable.

Go into your control panel and pull up the device manager and network adaptor. Change the wifi card (not the virtual AP settings, but the actually hardware card properties under the Advanced tab to "Dual Band...." and then the Preferred Band to 5Ghz band.

I did this and it cleared up drop outs almost entirely

GPS is another issue...I have a bunch of GPS antennas that we use for high powered rocket recovery, and none of those work either. I was going to try a remote antenna, but I would rather solve the noisy USB3 cable issue instead.

Hi! Thanks for the information. I did that already and it works fine with the 5Ghz wifi, For the GPS issue, I have contacted Primaluce support in Italy and US. Right now, they are testing a GPS antenna with built-in bandpass filter and a separate filter that will be connected inside the Eagle to the stock gps antenna. I'm still waiting for their test result.

• Rafal73t likes this

#88 sws105

sws105

Lift Off

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:19 PM

I know I’m a little late on this request....what plate solving software, goto software, and related works well with the Eagle?

thanks

Steve

#89 kzar

kzar

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:09 AM

Please allow me also to share my experience with this device. I have the Eagle 4 - which I got a few months ago. From my experience, EAGLE 4 is very easy to use and easy to install - no rocket science. 

It offers many advantages, i.e. install whatever software you want, easy cable management, remote control, etc. Honestly, ever since I got it, I am happy to use it for my imagining sessions. Depite all the "positive" feedbacks that you might heard and read, they are also some issues that I am not really happy with. 

First and foremost, as many users mentioned, WIFI connexion is not reliable. I remotely control my EAGLE though my MacBook Pro. I managed to solve my wifi problem by using the Parallels Clients. Should you experience wifi issues, DO NOT USE "MICROSOFT Remote Desktop". I struggled a lot with this latter and I was almost on the brick of sending the device back due to the ongoing wifi issues that I had. However, since I am using "Parallels Clients", I never had once an issue. 

With regards to the "GPS" issues, the Manual mentions "disconnect USB 3 devices from the EAGLE and check if the GPS is now able (within 2-3 minutes) to make the fix". I thoroughly followed all the tips but the problem remains. Honestly, I don't mind that much. Let me explain why. Even though you are able to get a GPS signal, EAGLe is not synching up with EQMOD ! So, what's the added-value of this gadget if it doesn't automatically sync with EQMOD ? So, my conclusion, not worthwhile to bother too much with this issues (PS : APT is now able to sync up with Eagle...)

Also, be informed that Primalucelab released a new, cheaper version of its device : EAGLE LE". This latter is cheaper because it doesn't include the GPS as well the "eye sensor". If I were to acquire an Eagle, I would definitely go for this brand-new release which includes all the same stuff as the previous versions (except GPS and eye sensor....).

• HogeDiver likes this

#90 Sitt

Sitt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Western Australia

Posted 15 May 2021 - 10:37 PM

I have just taken delivery of an Eagle 4 and wondered how you guys are powering the Eagle? Reading the manual it give a warning "WARNING: The battery must have a 12V voltage regulator with protection system". Prior to the Eagle I used 12 VOLT PORTABLE POWER STATION link below without any issues but I'm not certain that has a voltage regulator (waiting on a email back from the manufacturer of the Power Box)

https://www.projecta...table-power-hub

Edited by Sitt, 15 May 2021 - 10:39 PM.

#91 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:03 AM

I have just taken delivery of an Eagle 4 and wondered how you guys are powering the Eagle? Reading the manual it give a warning "WARNING: The battery must have a 12V voltage regulator with protection system". Prior to the Eagle I used 12 VOLT PORTABLE POWER STATION link below without any issues but I'm not certain that has a voltage regulator (waiting on a email back from the manufacturer of the Power Box)
https://www.projecta...table-power-hub

Frankly, a lot of users don't get bothered by that warning. They go ahead and use what they have.

The reason for the warning is that the eagle devices are pass-through and some connected devices may malfunction when they don't receive enough voltage.

Since, different devices are connected at the same time, some are more tolerant of lower voltages or sudden change in voltage as the battery pack depletes. One of the devices might also suddenly draw more current, living little for other devices. This might cause something to malfunction and in rear cases damaged.

As I noted above, situations like that are rare. After all, the Pegasus power box is also a pass-through power management system. The important thing is that you know the total current draw of all your devices and monitor your battery power to know when it needs to be recharged.

But to have peace of mind and for optimal performance from your power source, some people go for something like this

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B06WVG96MF

And connect it between the battery and the Eagle for voltage regulations. Just get a cigarette lighter male and female receptacles and join to both ends. Plug one end to the battery pack. And plug the Eagle to the male side. Very inexpensive and simple.

It ensures steady voltage and current at all times. And if you battery pack depletes below the minimal level, everything just shut down at the same time. No monkey business by one connected device.

#92 JAD1411

JAD1411

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 May 2021 - 03:33 PM

I stated with an Eagle3 Pro. I now have the Eagle4 Pro for my new system that is not running yet, no fault except my own spare time. The Eagle3 pro came in speaking Italian. It took a little messing around to get all the popups speaking English but I got it done. I'm very selective what programs I write to it so not to create future problems. Well that was wishful thinking. Turns out the WiFi had too much data transfer and was locking up the system frequently. So I went with the serial cable which helped. After loading Astro Photography Tool, ASCOM, EQMOD, PlatSolve2, Stellarium, all the plate solving photos, ASTP, PHD2 Guiding, PoleMaster, ASI camera drivers, ASI filter wheel drive and whatever else was required well guess what. You guessed it, I'm having software freezing problems again. I manage to get everything operating and capture a little data about 10% of the time. That's far too little as I own two businesses and don't get much time to work on these projects. I'm going to be running TheSkyX software on the new Eagle4 and sure hope I don't have all these issues. 

So last weekend it was near midnight before the plate solving program managed to find it's place in space. Then right after I get my target, M101, in center it tried to do a meridian flip. So I have APT set to 5 minute time out then it tries to plate solve again. Well after waiting 45 minutes and going through the computer freezing I hit a point of frustration and shut it down. I'm not sure it's the capture software or the inability of the Eagle3 to process the data. Anyway I sure hope the Eagle4 does better.

The onboard computer seams to be a good way to avoid all the wiring issues and control remotely from a warm room. This may be wishful thinking also. So my new system will have three cables leaving the mount. Two of them are power cables that connect to the stationary part of the Paramount MX+. The only other cable is through the mount, the serial cable to communicate to the Eagle4. I figured I wouldn't mess around with the WiFi thing again and get the serial cable at the head end. Anyway I wish I could come up with a system that just worked without messing around. The Eagle3 may or may not be the problem. Just seems strange it all works one evening then decides to have fits the next. I am stating to get the idea behind the DSLR point and shoot thing. 

#93 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor Affiliate - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendor Affiliate
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 22 May 2021 - 07:00 PM

I know I’m a little late on this request....what plate solving software, goto software, and related works well with the Eagle?

thanks

Steve

any you want to use - its a windows PC and will allow you to choose any flavour ... I use SGP ..others NINA etc 

all works well 

#94 kzar

kzar

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 27 May 2021 - 10:10 PM

any you want to use - its a windows PC and will allow you to choose any flavour ... I use SGP ..others NINA etc 

all works well 

Absolutely - and in addition it works perfectly fine with Voyager and Vikings.

#95 Wow!

Wow!

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2021 - 03:40 AM

I'm thinking about getting an LE. 

The 4 is disappointing with only 4GB RAM (LE too, but it's cheaper!)

Has anyone upgraded the RAM? Is the unit easy to take apart and upgrade? Please don't tell me the RAM is soldered to the board :)

#96 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:21 AM

I'm thinking about getting an LE.
The 4 is disappointing with only 4GB RAM (LE too, but it's cheaper!)

Has anyone upgraded the RAM? Is the unit easy to take apart and upgrade? Please don't tell me the RAM is soldered to the board :)

Unless you want to perform other tasks with it, like processing , the RAM is enough for image capturing and on the field usage.

#97 Wow!

Wow!

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:22 PM

Okay. But has anyone upgraded the RAM anyway? :)

#98 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:56 PM

Okay. But has anyone upgraded the RAM anyway? :)

I have not come across any user upgrade but Primalucelab said for it to be sent back for any hardware upgrade for a fee of course. And they like money 😃

#99 Pictor

Pictor

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:41 PM

Okay. But has anyone upgraded the RAM anyway? smile.gif

Yes. My 4 LE is running 8gb. I don’t think the NUC that the 4LE supports more than that but I am running 8gb without issue. 

• scottdevine likes this

#100 Dagobert

Dagobert

Messenger

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 11 October 2021 - 09:31 PM

I have had an Eagle 3 for around 10 months.  I’m done.  The WiFi issues and overall instability finally did me in.  I really gave it a chance spending countless hours troubleshooting, sometimes with success and full understanding of the root cause but as often as not, pure bewilderment.  I even managed to collect 8 hours of data over several nights of actual imaging albeit while it forced many restarts.  It is beautifully made but alas, including the computer and networking all in the same box as power and data hubs just dramatically increases the odds of a weak link bringing down the whole empire.  Kudos to those who’ve managed to peacefully coexist.  I envy your success.  If I thought 40 more hours of grinding it out would put me in a reliably functional position that could be sustained through changes and upgrades I would gladly invest the time.  But it won’t and I’ve spent far too much time on it and far too little on the craft it is intended to support. For me, I’m going to separate components.  I realize that means going to the back of the line again but having made the decision I’m actually relieved and optimistic about the outlook for the first time in a while.  Time will tell.  It always does.

Edited by Dagobert, 11 October 2021 - 09:33 PM.

• HogeDiver likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics