•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PrimaLuceLab Eagle Review

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#101 Dagobert

Dagobert

Messenger

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 07 November 2021 - 09:50 AM

Thought I'd write a quick follow-up to 10/11/2021 post above.   In a little over 3 weeks I was able to research and purchase the separate components, install and configure them, and last night I successfully ran solar imaging sessions and a multi-target deep sky session at a remote dark sky site with automation.  That is auto-focusing periodically across the sequences and parking the mount and warming the camera at the end while I blissfully slept in my cozy trailer.  Oh and the dew control was flawless.  Now I devoted a LOT of time over those 3 weeks to solving this.  But I do have a demanding day job and a family so you get the picture.  So what's my point?  There are multiple ways to solve this need.  I've found that the all in one approach just wasn't for me.  YMMV.  The replacement I went with is Pegasus UPBv2, Beelink i5 mini-PC, 19v automotive buck converter (for the Beelink), and GL.iNet GL-AR300M travel router.  This last bit also easily enables tethering my phone as an internet hotspot at my dark sky sites (I streamed a movie lol).  Not sure that capability was even available on the Eagle - in 10 months I never got that far.

Clear skies!

#102 scottdevine

scottdevine

Vostok 1

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 17 November 2021 - 05:48 PM

Yes. My 4 LE is running 8gb. I don’t think the NUC that the 4LE supports more than that but I am running 8gb without issue. 

What it difficult to upgrade the ram? 8GB would make me a little more comfortable, but not if it is major surgery.

#103 Terroll

Terroll

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta

Posted 17 December 2021 - 07:59 PM

Upgrading the ram in the Eagle is simple.  It's just an NUC, so open the Eagle up and change or add memory; same with the hard drive. 

#104 AstroYankee

AstroYankee

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 18 February 2022 - 11:20 AM

Wow! TERRIFIC Review - if I may, I am considering taking the plunge - what is the range of the built-in wifi - that is when you're out there in the middle of nowhere - I'd like to know how far I can be with my "control" laptop away from the Eagle - that way I may be able to sleep in the bunk house which is about 100 ft away. Thanks

#105 SgtErnestBilko

SgtErnestBilko

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Essex, UK

Posted 21 February 2022 - 02:08 AM

Wow! TERRIFIC Review - if I may, I am considering taking the plunge - what is the range of the built-in wifi - that is when you're out there in the middle of nowhere - I'd like to know how far I can be with my "control" laptop away from the Eagle - that way I may be able to sleep in the bunk house which is about 100 ft away. Thanks

Mine is inside a dome about 200 feet from an external WiFi AP.  No problem, but it is "line of sight" with only the GRP of the dome to get in the way.

#106 Sitt

Sitt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Western Australia

Posted 27 February 2022 - 07:50 AM

I've been experimenting with mounting my Eagle 4 directly to the mount with a PrimaLuceLab Large Clamp bolted to the top of the Eagle. The scope then mounted in the clamp so that my Eagle sits directly below the scope as per images . Doing this has reduced the amount of weight and also improved guiding a fair amount. I run two scopes, an Esprit 120 and C9.25 guiding on both has improved.

I emailed PrimaLuceLab to see if I would run into any issues, they were going to get back to me after running some simulations to see how it would affect flexure but in the meantime my own experiments seem to be working a treat with zero flexure that I can see. Not heard back from them yet but I'm happy with the results and think I'll be sticking to this setup in future.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2571.jpg
  • IMG_2572.jpg
  • IMG_2578.jpg

Edited by Sitt, 27 February 2022 - 08:06 AM.

#107 bill5wjw

bill5wjw

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:08 AM

Can't guide with my Eagle4S. I'm using an Ioptron IeQ45 PRO mount. Before purchasing the Eagle, I would connect the mount to a laptop via the mounts RS232 port to the laptop's USB port, via an RS232 to USB converter, utilizing the appropriate driver for the converter. Here's the problem: Eagle4S uses the Window10 IoT operating system, and I can't find a driver for the converter that works with Windows10 IoT operating system. Anyone out there that can help is appreciated.

As of right now the Eagle4S is just an expensive paper weight.

#108 Sitt

Sitt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Western Australia

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:23 AM

Eagle’s come shipped with Windows 10 Enterprise. I use the latest Commander driver from iOptron for my CEM70 with zero issues. Did you update the mounts firmware and try the latest version of Commander? If you had the Mount working on your laptop but having difficulty with the Eagle then you probably didn't install the driver as Windows 10 Enterprise is no different than a standard version of Windows 

Edited by Sitt, 05 August 2022 - 10:30 AM.

#109 JAD1411

JAD1411

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 September 2022 - 02:05 PM

I have 3 eagle units. 3S, 4S and the 4Pro. Been using the 3S and 4S regularly. A little leaning curve to start with however they have been running great. The 4S is on the iOptron CEM70 also. Again it took a little fiddling to get it all communicating but it's been fine up until last night. I setup as usual and connect to the Eagle Wi-Fi then use Windows Remote Desktop. All goes as it should then just before I start my aquision program it drops communications. I then try to reaquire the connection. Wi-Fi is gone. I reboot and try trouble shooting and there is zero Wi-Fi. I ping 192-168-137-1 and it doesn't exist. I've emailed tech support but probably won't hear until next week

So I say fine I'll use one of my other setups and take some shots. I start up the Eagle 3S, which was working perfect when I shut it down. It boots fine and there's the Wi-Fi so I connect then activate remote desktop and there's the IP adress and the Primalucelab computer. I press connect and I get a request for password that I never had before. I have no clue what this is. It's not the 4 digit code or the serial number. It's not my Microsoft account password. Has something to do with "credentials" so I've search everything I can find on the topic and try several supposed fixes. No such luck. Still can't connect. I like the onboard computer so I am able to setup one on a target then while it's running I go to another with my same laptop. This is a bit troublesome not sure why all of a sudden it decides I need a password nor how to fix the issue.

Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.

#110 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 September 2022 - 08:01 PM

All goes as it should then just before I start my aquision program it drops communications. I then try to reaquire the connection. Wi-Fi is gone. I reboot and try trouble shooting and there is zero Wi-Fi. I ping 192-168-137-1 and it doesn't exist. I've emailed tech support but probably won't hear until next week

Hmm... this might be a power issue, if the acquisition program automatically powers the camera as well. What are you using as power source? (Also, I presume you actually pinged 192.168.137.1 not "192-168-137-1", right?).

So I say fine I'll use one of my other setups and take some shots. I start up the Eagle 3S, which was working perfect when I shut it down. It boots fine and there's the Wi-Fi so I connect then activate remote desktop and there's the IP adress and the Primalucelab computer. I press connect and I get a request for password that I never had before. I have no clue what this is. It's not the 4 digit code or the serial number. It's not my Microsoft account password. Has something to do with "credentials" so I've search everything I can find on the topic and try several supposed fixes. No such luck. Still can't connect. I like the onboard computer so I am able to setup one on a target then while it's running I go to another with my same laptop. This is a bit troublesome not sure why all of a sudden it decides I need a password nor how to fix the issue.

Based on the steps, the password you are prompted for ought to be the password for the default primalucelab account which indeed by default is a 4-digit number shown on the printed quick guide; the code is different for each unit).  However, make sure that in the Remote Desktop window, the username is indeed primalucelab. If the Remote Desktop client tries to connect as a different account, the login will obviously not succeed. If the username is incorrect, click on the Edit link for the credentials and put the correct values. I suspect this is what happened.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics