•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200 EMC classic. Dead Dec. HELP Please!

classic Meade
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stadius

Stadius

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:40 PM

About 6 years ago I bought this scope used and in great shape.  I used it a few times and it developed a runaway declination motor issue.   I checked the wiring and there was a short, so I created a new cable from the fork arm to the board connector and the motor.  It worked fine since then.    A few weeks ago I had the scope out and it started with the runaway Dec motor issue again.  I finally had the time to look into it and now the Dec motor does not run at all.

I have checked the continuity of the wires going to the Dec motor and the board from the fork arm and they are good.  So, I assume that there is a problem on the board and it needs to be replaced.

I contacted a local telescope shop, they contacted Meade.  Meade's response was as follows:

"Meade doesn't have any replacement motors, boards, cables, etc for the LX200 Classic. It’s been too much time since they’ve been discontinued. Also, they cannot make any repair on that scope."

What can I do?  Is there any hope of fixing this scope?  I have some technical skills, I think I could do some light soldering.  I'm not even sure if it's the board that is the issue.

Do I now own a manual SCT?  Any advise is appreciated.

It is a 10” Meade LX200 EMC, serial number 122433.
The hand controller says revision 3.21, but the software says LX200/2 version 3.34L.
I am located in Quebec Canada.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• 02.jpg
  • 01.jpg
  • 03.jpg
  • 04.jpg
  • 05.jpg

• Russell Smith likes this

#2 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Soyuz

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:08 PM

Clearline Technology Corporation has replacement boards for the LX200 EMC "Classic" scope:

RA/Dec Encoder Board

Encoder Calibration Tool

Power Panel PC Board

Keypad Boot Emulator

Miscellaneous Repair Parts and Kits

http://www.clearline...m/products.html

It's a great company to do business with .....

Good Luck with your repairs.

#3 Migwan

Migwan

Vanguard

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:10 PM

Above waytogo.gif .   Or you might be able to find some used replacement parts.  Maybe a want add in classifieds.  jd

#4 Stadius

Stadius

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:20 PM

Soyuz,  thank you so much.  I will be getting one.

By jiggling the fork to panel cable the Dec runaway starts again so the motor is not completely dead.  

As I have been investigating it has become apparent that the runaway or non functioning Dec motor could be caused by lots of issues not related to the board itself.

Is there a comprehensive trouble shooting guide out there for this issue?  The google links I have come across are over a decade old and are referring to Yahoo pages that are long gone.

Thanks.

#5 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Soyuz

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:45 AM

As I have been investigating it has become apparent that the runaway or non functioning Dec motor could be caused by lots of issues not related to the board itself.

Is there a comprehensive trouble shooting guide out there for this issue? 

The MAPUG - Astronomical Topical Archive has just about everything you would ever want to know about the LX200 "Classic" scopes ... including troubleshooting DEC runaway problems.

http://skymtn.com/ma...onomy/index.htm

#6 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:35 PM

Have you replaced the factory capacitors? The LX200 Classics have notoriously bad capacitors. I owned a 7" Mak version for a short time and when I bought it the scope was completely dead. Swapping out a bad capacitor did the trick. While I had the mount apart, I swapped them all.

Apparently, the factory installed capacitors rated too low and with an unregulated power supply a voltage spike could wipe one out causing it to explode and possibly take out the board it was on.

You can find schematics for the electronics online and with higher rated capacitors and a soldering iron you could replace them all in a few hours.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics