•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay, and other vintage, classic telescope ads

• Please log in to reply
489 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:36 PM

Time for a new one.

A true classic in every sense.

Same rules.  Please take a minute to read them.

1) The basic guideline for this thread is to list ads and auctions that others may be interested in. It is not intended to replace CL or eBay as a site to find all possible classic ads. Please keep your posts to actual "classic" equipment. If you have to ask if it's classic, it probably isn't.

2) Do not post your own ads or the ads of your friends, this includes items you may be trying sell for someone else. This is considered sale promotion in the open forums and is a violation of the CN TOS. Please post your own ads in the Swap & Shop forum or the Cloudy Nights Classifieds.

3) We request that you do not post photos from ads. If you must have some reference to a photo in the post, post a link to the photo, not the photo itself.

4) Do not post the entire ad text, or large blocks of it, without permission from the author.

5) Concentrate on the item for sale, and not the seller.

6) Although not mandatory, when posting ads, including a short description of the item is a courtesy to others who don't have time to click on every link. It also provides some data when the link is no longer active. Be a little specific.

Here's an example of a good post:
4" f/8 Jaegers OTA on eBay. LINK

Poor post:
4" telescope. LINK

7) Please post a live link to the item. Do not post "PM me for link". We realize that this is an honest attempt to prevent non-CN member flippers from finding the posts, but most of the hard-core flippers are CN members already. Flippers look for bargains, they won't be outbidding you at top-dollar because they won't make any money on the item. Most of the time you are outbid, it is by a fellow Classics CN member.

8) Please limit yourself to one "found" post per hour. If you find more items within that time, just edit your post and add them, or wait until you have finished looking at all the ad sites and post them all at once.

9) Short discussions can take place about the items listed. When quoting a post, edit the quoted post to include only the part you are replying to. Do not quote an entire string of replies. If not quoting, make a note of what your reply pertains to, so others won't misinterpret your reply. Please keep these discussions limited to the actual items posted. If the discussion becomes protracted or the noise level gets too high, these posts will be moved to a new thread. Further comments on the item should then be made in the new thread.

10) Ads that are odd or have humor may find a better home in the Favorite Used Telescope Ad thread.

Posts that do not follow these posting guidelines or are for items not appropriate for this thread may be removed at moderator discretion.

Buyer Beware- CN is not responsible for any of the ads or auctions posted here or their content. There are some scams floating around, so do your homework before pursuing any ad.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember, keep to the ads and the equipment in them, not the seller or others.

Remember the main TOS theme: Be Nice.

Posts that do not follow the guidelines may be deleted in their entirety. Don't keep quoting posts that you know do not follow the guidelines. Your entire post will be deleted, not just the quoted section.

No more posts complaining about parting out equipment or comments about this thread affecting prices. There are other threads for those issues.

ANY POSTS THAT ARE CONSIDERED AS HARASSMENT TO A MEMBER WILL BE REMOVED WITH NO NOTICE ALONG WITH THEIR QUOTES. CONTINUED HARASSMENT OF OTHER MEMBERS MAY RESULT IN UNWANTED VACATIONS. STICK TO THE ADS AND EQUIPMENT AND AVOID STRAYING OFF THE AD TOPICS.

Thank you for your continued cooperation!

#2 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Viking 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:37 PM

I win.

• AstroKerr likes this

#3 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:40 PM

You have classic telescopes - of course you win!

• Defenderslideguitar, Russell Smith and AstroKerr like this

#4 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:36 PM

Finished up with 805 last month.

Hasn't been that active since Feb of 2018 (830), and the one before that was 941. However, the latter was 7 weeks, and the former was 5 weeks. 

Hopefully a bunch of people found new scopes that they're now enjoying as a result of all that activity. 

Chip W. 

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#5 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:51 PM

Anybody who has a classic scope is a winner
  • Defenderslideguitar and AstroKerr like this

#6 Deven Matlick

Deven Matlick

Vendor - Criterion Machine Co. LLC

• Vendors
  • Loc: Moatsville, WV

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:51 PM

Anyone have any info on 12.5cm GOTO Newtonians like, quality, value, how they compare to Taks, etc?

This in particular;

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100005.m1851

I posted it in the previous thread but it's still for sale and I don't know why. It really want's me to click that "blue button" on the debt machine!

• Bomber Bob and Esso2112 like this

#7 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:44 PM

Anyone have any info on 12.5cm GOTO Newtonians like, quality, value, how they compare to Taks, etc?

This in particular;

I posted it in the previous thread but it's still for sale and I don't know why. It really want's me to click that "blue button" on the debt machine!

you would be better off with a Tak newtonian when they show up for sale.

• rolo likes this

#8 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

• Loc: Washington

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:02 PM

I am really shocked this hasn't sold. Seller encourages the make offer option too.

SWIFT 1961 MODEL 831 REFRACTING TELESCOPE IN ORIGINAL WOOD CASE:

https://www.ebay.com...skAAOSwudBdORBh

If I didn't already have one, I would be all over this. They don't come around very often and are so very good.

• terraclarke, Kasmos, Defenderslideguitar and 2 others like this

#9 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:06 AM

It would $100 for me  to ship...

#10 39cross

39cross

Explorer 1

• Loc: Beverly, MA

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:07 AM

Dynacope RV-6 -- $150

https://boston.craig...6946450735.html

• Dartguy likes this

#11 39cross

39cross

Explorer 1

• Loc: Beverly, MA

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:12 AM

I am really shocked this hasn't sold. Seller encourages the make offer option too.

If I didn't already have one, I would be all over this. They don't come around very often and are so very good

From the education you gals and guys have silently imparted to me, I've seen how greatly esteemed these are.  What is the ball park for these?  I've seen some people writing that prices for vintage scopes are down from what they were.  However it seems true in other markets that the top quality stuff holds its prices best.

Edited by 39cross, 01 August 2019 - 06:13 AM.

#12 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:43 AM

https://www.cloudyni...-refractor-kit/

Nice 6" F10 Jaegers refractor kit complete with AP focuser and a nice eyepiece.  Only $600  

• terraclarke likes this

#13 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake Powell, AZ US

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

If I didn't already have one, I would be all over this. They don't come around very often and are so very good.

$100 shipping, opening $300, but reserve not met til maybe $400 - bet offers $375 or less no good for a while. It's nice, it's uncommon, it's complete, looks a little road weary. Didn't film well when set up, and a swipe with a scuff pen would've helped the legs. Almost has 'grab', but not quite at what's gonna be maybe $~500+. There's an Orion 102 f/7 ED for $450 or that 6" Jaeger f/10 kit that put it in perspective for me. I look at the 831 and think more of an 80 f/15, or Vix Custom/A 80~90M or waiting for the price to drop if a collector doesn't eventually acquire. Right now that's a good chunk of the cost of a nice 6" f/15 lens and cell, even though it's very likable.

Edited by AstroKerr, 01 August 2019 - 08:49 AM.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#14 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

From the education you gals and guys have silently imparted to me, I've seen how greatly esteemed these are.  What is the ball park for these?  I've seen some people writing that prices for vintage scopes are down from what they were.  However it seems true in other markets that the top quality stuff holds its prices best.

I've owned four of these, prices go from $100 for a beat, rashed example with missing parts up to $500.  But it all depends on the demand.  Lots have appeared in recent years and the market may be reaching saturation, thus this example not getting snapped-up instantly.  

Optically the scope is without an achromatic peer.  Mechanically, the mount does have a few issues.  

• Defenderslideguitar, Steve Allison and AstroKerr like this

#15 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

I think AstroKerr is right about it being a somewhat discouraging auction setup. $300 opening bid, with a reserve, implying that the seller is looking for quite bit more.

I was watching it and thought about bidding, but then just decided to see how much it would go for. I'm not in need of more scopes for this year's class, and although a 75 to 90mm would help balance the loaner set for the larger class in 2020, I'm not going to pay more than $300 for a scope I haven't seen, from someone I don't know, when it needs to be something I can make usable for a student without investing dozens of hours of labor. 

After it failed to get a bid, I did send a message to the seller, since I'm close enough pick it up, asking if they would just sell it to me. But I didn't get a response, and they re-listed it about an hour later. That indicates to me that they are hoping to get a bidding war going that brings a premium price. 

Chip W. 

#16 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

I like the Swift 831  as well      ever since I saw one in person at Neaf  

but I'm good right now    I misunderstood  the reserve thing until you folks enlightened me

I thought  make offer meant you could offer less than the ask or open bid price

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 01 August 2019 - 11:39 AM.

• AstroKerr likes this

#17 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:56 AM

You can but the seller may have it set up to automatically reject offers below a certain amount.  Like this one. 

• Defenderslideguitar, AstroKerr and Van Do9:3 like this

#18 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:00 PM

IMO, if your going to start an auction with a high opening bid why not make it your reserve or BIN price? I suppose the auction thing is a psychological game.

On the subject of Swift pricing, I once saw a 838 (50mm), that got bid to $435. Then a year later, a nicer one went for $150 with only one bid.

Edited by Kasmos, 01 August 2019 - 12:08 PM.

• Chuck Hards, terraclarke, Defenderslideguitar and 2 others like this

#19 WoodyEnd

WoodyEnd

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:53 PM

Brass Meade.  

https://losangeles.c...6945278580.html

#20 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:36 PM

This in particular;

I've drooled over it several times, and my unspent tax refund is burning holes in my pockets, but that sweet scope is still WAY over-priced.  Knowing Goto, it's probably an excellent Newt, so it's still tempting -- but I haven't clicked the button.  It's come down some, so maybe the Seller will get it closer to reality.

• AstroKerr likes this

#21 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake Powell, AZ US

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:26 PM

I've drooled over it several times, and my unspent tax refund is burning holes in my pockets, but that sweet scope is still WAY over-priced.  Knowing Goto, it's probably an excellent Newt, so it's still tempting -- but I haven't clicked the button.  It's come down some, so maybe the Seller will get it closer to reality.

It's a beaut - they really got 'smooth, sophisticated' looks down - "This is the way you do it".

#22 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:50 AM

Looks like it has a bid now....$300 in that condition and the reserve hasn't been met plus $61 for shipping? That's one bid I would retract. Maybe if it was in mint condition...

#23 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:55 AM

This in particular;

I think you can get a lot more classic scope for that price...

• AstroKerr likes this

#24 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:30 PM

I think you can get a lot more classic scope for that price...

You are probably right, but...

How often do these come up for sale? This is the first one I have ever seen advertised.  

If you want one, this may be your only chance for a long time to come.

• AstroKerr likes this

#25 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:59 PM

We've joked about what Unitron Collectors will pay for the infamous Tray Light (a flashlight).  If a Goto Collector pays more than non-collectors for this rare 125mm Newtonian... well, we can joke about it -- but it's no crazier than other buys.

• kansas skies and AstroKerr like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics