•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay, and other vintage, classic telescope ads

• Please log in to reply
489 replies to this topic

#276 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:20 PM

Regarding the Televue Genesis flourite scope on eBay. 

It has the original focuser. It just has a feathertouch microtouch retrofit. Remove the original pinion box and replaced with the feathertouch. It’s a nice add-on, similar to the ones for the Takahashi scopes. 

Edited by Esso2112, 14 August 2019 - 05:21 PM.

#277 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:11 PM

This price is nuts! I can’t believe what people are asking for these today (and in some cases getting)! foreheadslap.gif

It’s a 92mm OTA for God’s sake! confused1.gif

https://www.cloudyni...-f665-stowaway/

I would have a hard time paying $800 for it let alone 8k unless i were to flip it. 92mm is 92mm and 8k can buy a nice Dob for bob.

• Augustus likes this

#278 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:36 PM

I would have a hard time paying $800 for it let alone 8k unless i were to flip it. 92mm is 92mm and 8k can buy a nice Dob for bob.

That’s too much . I paid $500 for an AP Traveler. I was going to sell it to you for $550 but my friend offered $5k. 

• tim53, starman876, terraclarke and 1 other like this

#279 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:44 PM

If I were looking for something in the 90mm range I would be looking for a Brandon 94  in   what's that Robin's egg blue looking color?

Or    I would buy that Vixen fluorite 90  nib up the road in Danbury Connecticut

I get that the real high end quality  or very high end optics  bring very high end prices and maybe      they should    but   when you talk about 8k  you are out of my league and my skill level does       not yet now     if ever call for that......

• terraclarke and Augustus like this

#280 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:56 PM

That’s too much . I paid $500 for an AP Traveler. I was going to sell it to you for $550 but my friend offered $5k. 

Ya i can see $500 and would be fine with that.  No sub 4" scope is worth 8k in the past to me , now or even after i get my around $800k that is coming soon.

• Augustus and agmoonsolns like this

#281 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:59 PM

No matter what, it is still only a 92mm scope.  Will it resolve better than an 8"?  Will it show fainter stars than a 8"?

Sorry, just not seeing 8k worth of wow.

• Augustus and agmoonsolns like this

#282 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

If I were looking for something in the 90mm range I would be looking for a Brandon 94  in   what's that Robin's egg blue looking color?

Or    I would buy that Vixen fluorite 90  nib up the road in Danbury Connecticut

I get that the real high end quality  or very high end optics  bring very high end prices and maybe      they should    but   when you talk about 8k  you are out of my league and my skill level does       not yet now     if ever call for that......

The beautiful robin egg blue Brandon 94 is one that I have always had on my bucket list. That’s the one Roland Christian triplet I can see myself owning.

• Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#283 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

• Loc: Washington

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:58 PM

Make sure you get a good one, there are some real stinkers out there. I have owned several and they were all terrible (without question, the absolute worst triplet I have ever owned). I know some have really good ones though so buy a known good one from someone you trust.

The beautiful robin egg blue Brandon 94 is one that I have always had on my bucket list. That’s the one Roland Christian triplet I can see myself owning.

• terraclarke and Defenderslideguitar like this

#284 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

No matter what, it is still only a 92mm scope.  Will it resolve better than an 8"?  Will it show fainter stars than a 8"?

Sorry, just not seeing 8k worth of wow.

If you want perfection, a Questar Seven is about the same price used with double the aperture and a fork mount included.

A 6" Tak might be available at 8K, definitely a 5".....

You could just buy 25 or so C8s and there's good chances of one being near-perfect.

• clamchip, deepwoods1, Gil V and 2 others like this

#285 LarsJ

LarsJ

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sycamore, IL

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

For those who can see Facebook, a nice Monolux 4380 that looks complete for a nice price in Chicagoland: 

https://www.facebook...44717406255095/

I would buy it but there's no room in the garage for another 60mm.

#286 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:22 PM

Bushnell Sky Chief II. Looks fairly complete, if rather dirty. In northern AZ. Will ship.

https://www.shopgood...m/Item/73993213

RV-6 being used for geological study, north of Boston. s/n 4794, UPCO mirror, 3 eyepieces. Asking $500 BIN. Listed as "for parts/repair" because the mirror and cell are out of the tube. Looks like the mirror just came back from coating (maybe the owner died of old age waiting for UPS to deliver it?). Crazy price, but could perhaps be negotiated down?

https://www.ebay.com...72852b7b2f89fd7

Chip W.

Edited by ccwemyss, 14 August 2019 - 08:47 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#287 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:58 PM

Never heard back on the C5, and it’s gone.
  • tim53 likes this

#288 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:05 PM

Bushnell Sky Chief II. Looks fairly complete, if rather dirty. In northern AZ. Will ship.

https://www.shopgood...m/Item/73993213

RV-6 being used for geological study, north of Boston. s/n 4794, UPCO mirror, 3 eyepieces. Asking $500 BIN. Listed as "for parts/repair" because the mirror and cell are out of the tube. Looks like the mirror just came back from coating (maybe the owner died of old age waiting for UPS to deliver it?). Crazy price, but could perhaps be negotiated down?

https://www.ebay.com...72852b7b2f89fd7

Chip W.

My grandma lives near that RV6. If it's still for sale in a few weeks I might make a trip out of that.

#289 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:48 PM

This price is nuts! I can’t believe what people are asking for these today (and in some cases getting)! foreheadslap.gif

It’s a 92mm OTA for God’s sake! confused1.gif

https://www.cloudyni...-f665-stowaway/

It's only a couple grand more than I paid for my f/5 Stowaway many years ago from Baader.  Not sure about this slightly longer fr and more modern issue, but the f/5 was the most difficult lens that Roland ever figured by his own admission.  He was very happy when he finished the run.  As to performance.....  Amazing.  Still, as Terra says, that's a ton of money to put into ~90mm.  I cheated fate and still got a Roland 94mm f/7 Brandon that simply knocks my socks off from Dave Trott for about a tenth of that.

• wfj, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#290 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:09 PM

If you want perfection, a Questar Seven is about the same price used with double the aperture and a fork mount included.

You could just buy 25 or so C8s and there's good chances of one being near-perfect.

I'd do the 25 C8's and set em up and have a telescopic array.

Robert

• Vesper818, deepwoods1, Augustus and 2 others like this

#291 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:11 PM

Make sure you get a good one, there are some real stinkers out there. I have owned several and they were all terrible (without question, the absolute worst triplet I have ever owned). I know some have really good ones though so buy a known good one from someone you trust.

Good advice. If I ever get one, I will do just that!

• Augustus likes this

#292 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:42 PM

Dave sells the best equipment. I am so grateful to him for the Takahashi mount he sold me. He added all kinds of wonderful little upgrades and it has been such a joy to use.

It's only a couple grand more than I paid for my f/5 Stowaway many years ago from Baader.  Not sure about this slightly longer fr and more modern issue, but the f/5 was the most difficult lens that Roland ever figured by his own admission.  He was very happy when he finished the run.  As to performance.....  Amazing.  Still, as Terra says, that's a ton of money to put into ~90mm.  I cheated fate and still got a Roland 94mm f/7 Brandon that simply knocks my socks off from Dave Trott for about a tenth of that.

• Dave Trott likes this

#293 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:03 PM

B & L Yard canon.

https://www.ebay.com...mCondition=3000

• terraclarke and Kasmos like this

#294 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:04 AM

This is rather important. It is the 4th one I know of, maybe the third in such complete condition. Postings like this one might bring out more.  I own one, another was owned by one of the Brian's that's a regular here in CN (I can never keep track). I paid $2500 for mine, Brian sold his some years ago I think for over 2k but I'm not sure about that sale. There was a third one I saw in various postings but it may have been a duplicate of the first two.  Mine is the most complete I've found, box, all eyepieces, filters, scope, tripod, mount, porro, etc. and some papers but all in original condition. Mine also came with a custom machined threaded tail stock for 1.25" eyepiece that fits perfectly in the original shipping box.  Beautiful optics, mechanics in the stirrup alt/az mount (honest butter smooth), and cosmetics save for some flaking of the original white wash over brass tube OTA.  This is one scope I won't sell, and have never hinted about selling in any entries. Some diligent research has mine dated 1928/9. 

The posted one has been repainted on the legs and mount hub (dang, yuch), and it also shows some likely paint on the OTA at least the focuser end with the engraved print.  One eyepiece is not original or is missing the end fittings. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, it seems OK and darn nice for complete. My lens in NOT coated so other 4" refractors on a side by side have shown Brighter images, but so far nothing has touched my B&L for detail resolution. This includes Unitron 4" and some other oopy doopy goopy big name 4".  Mine is posted in various strings on CN but I'm terrible at the search thing, I probably have a 'main' sting on it but not sure, interested parties might search. I'd be open to questions or request for pictures, particularly the accessories, but I'll likely be a few days in response or even forget completely - yeah it's an issue.  I'd like to try keeping track of the posted one but making list and even calendar notes have failed with me....not great.

My OTA is 35 pounds bare. The OTA Box loaded is 85 pounds, and that's not counting the tripod and mount. The OTA box is 6' long, 6' X 1' X 1' bare. The tripod is with mount (the way I leave it), is 6'-2" folded from leg tips to top of the wing nuts. I haven't weighed the tripod mount assembly.  Shipping of the posted one will be boo coo bucks. 

• rolo, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 5 others like this

#295 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:18 AM

It's really too bad about the paint all over everything. I know it can be removed, but that's going to be a big project. I really hope it goes to one of the restoration gurus here and they share lots of pictures/information. 

#296 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:09 AM

I had a Q7 and it was another bad scope for the money. It was a flip scope and i only had it for a few weeks, but during a cold winter when we had winters many years ago. It would never cool and i hated having over $7k out of pocket. Once i sell off everything in one lump i don't think i will ever buy a scope again.

#297 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:11 AM

Rolo gets 6" Taks for 3k. Avg price for a used FS152 is around 6k, 5's go for around 3k.

#298 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:56 AM

Never heard back on the C5, and it’s gone.

Sorry to hear that.  I've been getting strange responses, or no responses from some sellers recently.  Worst is that 20" Dob that's still listed in Big Bear for $500.  Response I got was that it was sold - a few weeks ago!

• Augustus likes this

#299 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:29 PM

Don't need it...

Couldn't lift it...

No room for it...

I want it...

• wfj, clamchip, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#300 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:52 PM

Don't need it...

Couldn't lift it...

No room for it...

I want it...

but you want it lol.gif

• pbealo and Steve Allison like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics