•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay, and other vintage, classic telescope ads

• Please log in to reply
489 replies to this topic

#476 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 PM

Someone near me is selling a 1970's vintage orange tube Celestron C8 for $350. All in working order, comes on a sand cast motorized / tracking mount, with a wedge, trunk, finder, tripod, diagonal, and one eyepiece. 

Prices on eBay range from $300-500 for these things, but in varying states of completeness. I'm thinking this is a good price, but I'm not entirely sure! Any ideas?

If that's Ben Bartine's, it's not a sandcast, but still a great deal.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#477 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

• Loc: Washington

Posted Yesterday, 09:09 PM

Yes and they're amazing scopes. I would grab it if I were you. If you get tired of it, send me a message.

Someone near me is selling a 1970's vintage orange tube Celestron C8 for $350. All in working order, comes on a sand cast motorized / tracking mount, with a wedge, trunk, finder, tripod, diagonal, and one eyepiece. 

Prices on eBay range from $300-500 for these things, but in varying states of completeness. I'm thinking this is a good price, but I'm not entirely sure! Any ideas?

#478 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted Yesterday, 09:12 PM

If that's Ben Bartine's, it's not a sandcast, but still a great deal.

That's it! I'm not sure what a sandcast is, can you explain? (And how his is not?)

#479 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted Yesterday, 09:13 PM

That's it! I'm not sure what a sandcast is, can you explain? (And how his is not?)

Sandcasts used sand-cast parts, have holes in the forks, have a smooth paint finish as opposed to a bumpy one, and use a harder to find power cord.

#480 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

Posted Yesterday, 09:17 PM

Sandcasts used sand-cast parts, have holes in the forks, have a smooth paint finish as opposed to a bumpy one, and use a harder to find power cord.

Thanks for that! It was only posted a day ago and he's not too bad a drive from me so I'm really thinking about it. I have a C90 I've wanted to piggyback on a C8 ever since I got it, and it would be a big step up from my 4" Mak (though I would lose the GoTo features)... 

Hmmmmm

#481 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

Posted Yesterday, 09:27 PM

I offered to buy Ben's C8, but he said he wanted to sell it locally so he wouldn't need to ship. I so totally understand that, shipping anything big has become a real pain. If it's from Ben, then I am sure it's a really good one. Ben is a super nice guy, I actually look for his ads.

#482 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

Posted Yesterday, 09:31 PM

I offered to buy Ben's C8, but he said he wanted to sell it locally so he wouldn't need to ship. I so totally understand that, shipping anything big has become a real pain. If it's from Ben, then I am sure it's a really good one. Ben is a super nice guy, I actually look for his ads.

Good to know - I shot him a quick message and hope he sees it. Any chance he's a CN member?  edit: He is! 

Edited by RyanSem, Yesterday, 09:50 PM.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#483 vsteblina

vsteblina

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted Yesterday, 10:00 PM

Could he by chance do that to my orange C8?

He had a brain tumor at 50 and died a couple of years after the rebuild.

He was a real good machinest.....the whole thing was simpler than I imagined. Probably wouldn't be that hard to get somebody to do it. I kept all the old parts.

C5 were just as expensive to make as a C8 which is why there are fewer of them. For years I wished that I had gotten a C8, but after getting more scopes...the C5 is pretty special, particularly after my friend rebuilt it.

Do you want to see a picture?? 

• Augustus and agmoonsolns like this

#484 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted Yesterday, 10:02 PM

He had a brain tumor at 50 and died a couple of years after the rebuild.

He was a real good machinest.....the whole thing was simpler than I imagined. Probably wouldn't be that hard to get somebody to do it. I kept all the old parts.

C5 were just as expensive to make as a C8 which is why there are fewer of them. For years I wished that I had gotten a C8, but after getting more scopes...the C5 is pretty special, particularly after my friend rebuilt it.

Do you want to see a picture?? 

Aw jeez, sorry to hear. He sounds like a smart guy. 

I would like to see, maybe I could wire something up.

#485 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

Posted Yesterday, 10:27 PM

Yes, pretty please to pictures!

• pdxmoon likes this

#486 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted Today, 05:19 AM

Jump on it! That's chump change to you...

Maybe in another 6 months one the law suit goes thru. But it won't matter as my sis won't be around.  I am selling the house and all my scopes and stuff once she leaves me.

#487 Nick Will

Nick Will

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wildwood Florida

Posted Today, 06:38 AM

Sorry to hear that Charlie....I met your sister when I dropped off the TMB....she’s a real sweet person

#488 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted Today, 07:15 AM

I think the 48 nagler is really a 4.8 nagler.

Daummmm! You mean it’s not a Nadler! I’ve been looking for one of those my whole life! :bawling:

• Augustus likes this

#489 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted Today, 07:58 AM

Daummmm! You mean it’s not a Nadler! I’ve been looking for one of those my whole life! bawling.gif

I know the feeling.  

• terraclarke likes this

#490 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted Today, 08:55 AM

Maybe in another 6 months one the law suit goes thru. But it won't matter as my sis won't be around.  I am selling the house and all my scopes and stuff once she leaves me.

Chasl    

We feel for you but don't know what words to use or what to say

These are times that try the hearts of men and women    God be with you both

• jcruse64 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics