•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX200GPS latest updates. Which one to use?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cychomartin

Cychomartin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Jervis Bay NSW Australia

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:18 AM

I recently had to update the firmware on two LX200 GPS telescopes. One updated with Autostar version 4.2G with Starpatch. The other updated with version 4.2K with Meade's own updater.  I have also noticed that Meade's latest updater and website is steering me towards version 4.2I.

Does anybody Know which version is the latest-most up to date?

Martin Atkins.

Edited by Cychomartin, 01 August 2019 - 06:22 AM.

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Skylab

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:47 AM

Gday Martin

4.2k was the first firmware Meade put out to fix the GPS bug, but it screwed up the align and named star databases

along the way. ( ie 20 of the std 76 align stars just disappeared )

4.2l was then released and this fixed the align star problem, but has other changes that arent really full understood yet.

Some people are reporting problems with 4.2l, but its not confirmed yet as to what it is.

( I cannot actually download 4.2l, i keep gettting 4.2k )

4.2g patched uses the tried and tested patches for 4.2g and adds a fix for the gps rollover

My personal preferance is to use patched 4.2g as we know exactly what is going on

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• OleCuss likes this

#3 Cychomartin

Cychomartin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:07 PM

Thank you Andrew, that has cleared up a confusion. I'll reload the 4.2k scope with the star patch 4.2g.

Martin Atkins. 

#4 john_benham

john_benham

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:38 PM

I also was having major issues from updating to 4.2k. I could not debug site and other issues. Handset LEDs were variable in brightness and many functions did not work. Two scopes: LX200GPS 10" and 14".

Finally today I found the Wesner site: https://www.stargps.ca/

I used StarPatch 1.914 trial and uploaded PatchLX42ggv21.spf with their software and my cable. It appears to have fixed the GPS Rollover issue (must check off that one to load it) and many other things. Handset and LED brightness all is even and can be adjustable now. And site locations come up. On the 14", they were all goobly-goop!

However, it's cloudy tonight, so will not know for sure until I set both up on a clear night.

So thank you to whoever made these fixes!

John B.

Spokane

Edited by john_benham, 09 August 2019 - 05:40 PM.

• Cychomartin likes this

#5 john_benham

john_benham

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

Last night was clear enough to where I could see if the Meade LX200GPS 10" could align and set itself up. After a couple of tries, it took a GPS fix, correct time and date and aligned itself to two stars with minor correction. Jupiter and Saturn was stunning. The wildfire smoke acts a a great planet filter. Barely could see M13, but it did go to it.

So this 4.2g firmware from StarPatch worked.

I'll try the 14" later when I have someone to assist me. It is heavy. I made it componentized for transport. I put it together on the tailgate - arms on OTA first but loose, then arms on base, connect wires with bullet plugs, tighten all fasteners then slide it off onto the tripod. I can't do it by myself, it's simply too heavy.

John B.

Spokane

Edited by john_benham, 10 August 2019 - 10:34 AM.

#6 albertino360

albertino360

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:56 AM

I recently had to update the firmware on two LX200 GPS telescopes. One updated with Autostar version 4.2G with Starpatch. The other updated with version 4.2K with Meade's own updater.  I have also noticed that Meade's latest updater and website is steering me towards version 4.2I.

Does anybody Know which version is the latest-most up to date?

Martin Atkins.

Hey Martin Atkins, can you please give me step by step instructions as to how to update my LX200 GPS handbox with the 4.2g update, in Starpatch just as you did.

Cause, when I go on Starpatch to update my handbox to 4.2g , it wants me to update my hand controller instead to 43eg. But, I just want to update LX200 GPS mount, to 4.2g, not the hand controller.

So, your step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you 

#7 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Skylab

Posted 17 November 2019 - 03:16 PM

Gday Albertino

43Eg is for the classic 497 handboxes, so you probably have the wrong type selected

Just start StarPatch and then under the "Options>Handset Type" menu,

select  "AutostarII(LX200GPS)"

Now go to the "File>Get Updates" menu and it should download

the 4.2g rom and the 42ggV21 patch.

Then just import the patch into the edit box, ensure the "Fix GPS rollover" option is selected

and run it.

• Cychomartin likes this

#8 JoeMor

JoeMor

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:54 AM

Hello,  30 years I purchased a LX200 for my wife and used it a few times. Now that the kids are on their own I'd like to start using it again.  Obviously I don't have a RS232 interface on my PC and been reading about software and different versions that are compatible with Windows 10, GPS positioning, and blue tooth upgrades. Can someone advise me as what is real and works and how to go about upgrading the software and hardware, please. 

#9 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Skylab

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:32 PM

Gday Joe

For upgrading firmware, i always suggest a wired connection

To connect to the mount, you will need a USB to serial adapter ( preferably with an FTDI chipset in it )

and a "507" cable. You can buy these from Meade as an adapter and cable set, ( very expensive )

https://optcorp.com/...b-rs232-adapter

https://optcorp.com/...0-lx-acf-models

you can get a generic converter and make your own 507 cable,

or you can now buy 3rd party converter + cable units that do the lot in one cable.

https://www.optics-p...atible-/p,60953

https://astro-gadget...interface-cable

( The latter are neater but the converter cant be used for other purposes )

If you truly want to go Wifi or BT, there are also several options out there now

Meade have their own battery powered units ( Stella )

but there are other 3rd part ones as well, i i recently saw these

https://astro-gadget...ers/autofilx200

https://astro-gadget...ers/autobtlx200

but there are others if you look

As to firmware, you can download and instal the best working firmware plus its patches from the StarPatch site

https://www.stargps.ca/downloads.htm

Much more robust than Meades ASU and well tested firmware.

#10 ouray3

ouray3

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 November 2020 - 04:41 PM

Hi All,

I would appreciate some direction on my 2007 LX200GPS 10" scope I recently acquired. The scope has hardly been used.

After spending 2 nights trying to perform alignment, I still have NOT been able to make this happen.

I'm getting "motor stalled" errors most of the time. After reading some cloudynight posts, this is what I'm thinking.

Since the scope software has NEVER been updated, I was thinking of doing this? But I'm not sure if this is actually needed?

If it is needed, then I need to know the cable required to go from my laptop (USB) to the scope base RS232 (RJ10 or RJ11).

For sure I need to do a full reset and redo all calibrations to start from a known state. I appreciate any help here.

As you can tell this is my first goto scope and I'm excited to get this guy going soon.

#11 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Skylab

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:44 PM

Gday Ouray3

If the mount will manually start and stop slewing in all 4 directions on command via the handbox

but get a motor fault error when doing gotos or tracking, it normally means an encoder fault.

As a first test, start the mount up in altaz and dont align.

Press and hold mode for several seconds to get to the alternate menus.

Scroll to the Alt/Az menu ( not RA/DEC )

Now set the speed to say 5, then use the slew keys in order tomove up, down, left, right.

Does the handbox report it is moving.?

#12 Cychomartin

Cychomartin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2020 - 09:59 PM

Hi there Ouray3,

I was having a motor stalled issue on one of my scopes last year. Closer inspection in daylight revealed a bent altitude shaft which was slightly binding and causing encoder loss. 

A quick tweek with a pair of pliers to straighten the shaft fixed the problem. 

This might not be your problem at all but it may be worth checking in daylight. 

Regards, 

Martin Atkins. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics