•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can you use EP projection with binoviewers?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:23 PM

Letting this idea rattle around in my head, I was wondering if anyone had ever tried using an EP projection system prior to the binoviewer, instead of a barrlow?

Using a 2X barrlow prior to the binoviewer with say 10mm EP's will in essence double the magnification....what  effects(if any) would a 10mm projection EP have on another 10mm EP? Or any other EP for that matter?

Rob

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:46 PM

Yes, you can do that. I use it on telescopes that otherwise don't have enough back focus. 

The magnification can get pretty high. I use a 40mm projection eyepiece with T2 adapter (GSO made, sold under various names) from Teleskop-Service. The magnification factor is around 2.5x. Interestingly, the baffling is MUCH better than with a barlow!! Also noteworthy is that the image is suddenly right side up and correctly oriented (if you don't use a diagonal prism, such as on a newtonian). 

Image quality is very good, but there can be quite a lot of field curvature, depending on the telescope. The method seems to magnify the field curvature of the telescope and/or the eyepiece, plus it also seems to be quite f/ratio depending. It works really well with longer f/ratios. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#3 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:59 PM

Yes, you can do that. I use it on telescopes that otherwise don't have enough back focus. 

The magnification can get pretty high. I use a 40mm projection eyepiece with T2 adapter (GSO made, sold under various names) from Teleskop-Service. The magnification factor is around 2.5x. Interestingly, the baffling is MUCH better than with a barlow!! Also noteworthy is that the image is suddenly right side up and correctly oriented (if you don't use a diagonal prism, such as on a newtonian). 

Image quality is very good, but there can be quite a lot of field curvature, depending on the telescope. The method seems to magnify the field curvature of the telescope and/or the eyepiece, plus it also seems to be quite f/ratio depending. It works really well with longer f/ratios. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

I suspected such, but was uncertain.  I'm using a homemade 6"f/9 with loads of back focus.  I'll compare the images I get with the Barlow to what I get with the 10~12mm EP.  I might try a 24mm as well. I did notice slight vignetting  with the barlow...and some serious mag which induces greater CA as well.

This arrangement is for solar viewing mostly, though I do wish to use it for the young grandkids for lunar and planetary viewing.

Thanks for the advice and comment.

Rob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics