•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter at Zenith w/Oval BA, Io & Shadow, 3D Animation, 2019-08-02

dslr Maksutov planet astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

Seeing was pretty good tonight in spite of the 2/5 prediction. It was good enough to stare at Jupiter and the subject features through my 9mm ortho (300x mag) for a fair bit, and I could see Oval BA plain as day. I picked up Io's shadow through the eyepiece just as it emerged from the terminator, and its crispness invited me to shoot it. It was another blustery night, but at least I knew what to expect while driving the mount. Here's a cross-eye stereo pair animation of it all as it passed through zenith:

gallery_273658_7586_496524.gif

Jupiter, 2019-08-02 11:06-11:33 UTC
Skywatcher 180 Mak-Cass
Fujiyama 12.5mm ortho
Canon T3i

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 02 August 2019 - 10:48 AM.

• PrestonE, Jeffrey C., Achernar and 15 others like this

#2 Tulloch

Tulloch

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:26 PM

Nice one! It's taken me a while to get it, but I was finally able to see the 3D effect you are going for, it looks fantastic. I'm only able to do it for a few seconds before my eyes start going crazy crazyeyes.gif , but the "vertical" displacement of the moon is quite visible.

Andrew

Edited by Tulloch, 02 August 2019 - 05:05 PM.

• Joe1950 likes this

#3 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

It's taken me a while to get it, but I was finally able to see the 3D effect you are going for, it looks fantastic. I'm only able to do it for a few seconds before my eyes start going crazy crazyeyes.gif , but the "vertical" displacement of the moon is quite visible.

Very cool! You also get a boost in image quality from the real-time stacker in the occipital lobe. But yes, 3D from 2D is tricky business…everyone's eyes are built a little differently, and they change over time. I now use reading glasses, but I get better results on cross-eye pairs without them (and I can stare for hours without the crazyeyes.gif ). But for wide-eye pairs, I can't focus at all without my glasses, and to see them it's more like gottahurt.gif .

What I really need is one of those stereo viewers. Apparently they're still in production…I just ordered a couple off ebay.

BQ

#4 Tulloch

Tulloch

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:32 PM

Actually, I found it easier by magnifying the screen to 200%, and sitting about 50cm away from the screen. Less cross eyed, a bit more natural (for me), anyway.

#5 Vega700

Vega700

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:25 PM

Nice work BQ glad you got good seeing, Jupiter is hipnotising me..waytogo.gif

#6 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2019 - 01:01 AM

Nice work BQ glad you got good seeing, Jupiter is hipnotising me..waytogo.gif

Ha! You are getting…very…sleepy…

Cheers!

BQ

#7 HentySky

HentySky

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:50 AM

The stereo effect is really neat.  I reduce the screen size and stare into infinity.  Works just as well and is a bit easier on the eyes.

#8 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:25 AM

The stereo effect is really neat.  I reduce the screen size and stare into infinity.  Works just as well and is a bit easier on the eyes.

Thanks, Brett! I worry that by using the wide-eye method (accomplished by staring into ∞), you're getting the pseudoscopic effect instead of actual 3D. Here's a wide-eye image to try:

gallery_273658_7586_723560.gif

Cheers,

BQ

#9 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:26 AM

Here's a smooth, 24-bit color version (click for full-resolution):

preview.gif

Unfortunately, it's tough to separate Io and the shadow from the planet, so the "tween" frames (actually derotated adjacent frames) have some elongation of both. The tradeoff is animation smoothness.

BQ

• DMach likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, Maksutov, planet, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics