•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

UPS Lost my Mirrors! (And other Dynascope restoration woes.)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 otacsum

otacsum

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

My Dynascope restoration has hit an unexpected, and possibly insurmountable snag.  UPS LOST my mirrors. 

So...here's my sympathy plea.  Does anybody have a set of Criterion 6" Dynascope mirrors they're willing to part with?

I seem to have the worst luck with UPS as a shipper.  

I had sent them to Jeff @ Majestic for a recoat as the final step of my restoration (aside from a custom eq drive I'm still designing.)  On their return trip they fell off the face of the earth.  UPS customer service is garbage, and Jeff and I are still fighting with them on the claim a month later.  

It's worth noting that Majestic does not insure your mirrors unless you ask for it, so at best I might get $100 from UPS (their maximum default liability.)  If you're getting something bigger done, be sure to ask Jeff for a shipping quote with extra insurance.

Of course I can get some junk 6" replacement mirrors from eBay, or I can wait for another Dynascope to turn up for cheap, but I'm just absolutely heartbroken, enraged, and defeated on this project now.  The original mirrors were known for their amazing quality and I may never get that back.  I have so much time and elbow grease invested, and a fair bit of money.  

By the time I replace the mirrors and probably recoat them...again, I probably could've bought a really nice 8" OTA for the same investment.

Finally, here's eye candy of the restored mount and OTA...sans mirrors. bawling.gif   

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0885_sm.jpg

Edited by Chuck Hards, 02 August 2019 - 02:50 PM.

• tim53, Bomber Bob, PirateMike and 2 others like this

#2 madeline

madeline

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, MN

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:13 PM

Sorry to hear about that Mike.    It's a shame when things like that happen.   

• Joe1950 likes this

#3 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:19 PM

Sorry to hear...I stopped shipping with UPS and FEDX because of lost items, even insured. They just don't seem to care about getting a handle on their internal training and loss issues. Shipped over a hundred items with USPS insured (and not insured), knock on wood, they have not lost any of them.

Go figure, USPS use to be really bad. FEDX is suppose to be improving but I'm staying with USPS for now. DHL is good but their prices are high even with an account unless your shipping large volumes so I only use them for overseas shipping of items over 20lbs. UPS has flat rate shipping up to 20lbs for overseas.

Edited by scadvice, 02 August 2019 - 01:20 PM.

• Paul Hyndman, madeline, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#4 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Viking 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:55 PM

I have had some things sit in a neighboring town for a couple days with USPS  but they always arrive safely. FedEx on the other hand, shipped my EQ6R from Oklahoma to Kansas, and I'm pretty sure they just dropped the boxes out of a plane. 

• Paul Hyndman, deepwoods1, havasman and 2 others like this

#5 otacsum

otacsum

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:20 PM

I have had some things sit in a neighboring town for a couple days with USPS  but they always arrive safely. FedEx on the other hand, shipped my EQ6R from Oklahoma to Kansas, and I'm pretty sure they just dropped the boxes out of a plane. 

Yea, at first we thought they were just misrouted or something.  But nope...It's been over a month and no trace.  Talking to UPS, they say it was scanned IN to the IL distribution center, but never scanned out.  So...it's either sitting in a dark shadow behind a conveyor somewhere, or somebody saw "Majestic Optics" and straight stole it.  

Livid is an understatement.  I'm also moderately upset at Jeff for not disclosing that he doesn't add any supplemental insurance to his shipments.  The default liability doesn't even cover a 6" recoat cost, let alone the value of the mirror.  

Edited by otacsum, 02 August 2019 - 03:38 PM.

#6 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:33 PM

RV6 Optics show up on eBay two or three times a year, don't lose heart.

• tim53 and Geo31 like this

#7 Larrythebrewer

Larrythebrewer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cincinnati, Oh

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:41 PM

So...here's my sympathy plea. Does anybody have a set of Criterion 6" Dynascope mirrors they're willing to part with?

yes, i do, & yes i am, let me get home from work & check them, if i remember correctly they will need a recoat, if you want to have to deal with that again.

Larry

Edited by Larrythebrewer, 02 August 2019 - 02:43 PM.

• Mr Magoo, Pete W, Chuck Hards and 6 others like this

#8 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 02 August 2019 - 03:05 PM

And there you go!  Thanks for helping him out, Larry!  

• madeline and Joe1950 like this

#9 otacsum

otacsum

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

yes, i do, & yes i am, let me get home from work & check them, if i remember correctly they will need a recoat, if you want to have to deal with that again.

Larry

Oh man, Larry, that would be amazing!  Thanks for looking.  

#10 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

I found an Edmund 6" f/8 mirror but I know you would prefer a Criterion.  Let me know if things don't work out with Larry.  

#11 LarsJ

LarsJ

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sycamore, IL

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:38 PM

If you find just a primary, I have a secondary that needs recoat that you can have.  Just let me know.

• havasman likes this

#12 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 02 August 2019 - 05:35 PM

I might have a primary laying around.  So here you go. Three people willing to helpwaytogo.gif

• jcruse64 likes this

#13 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:02 PM

This is why i don't send my mirrors out for recoating.

#14 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

If this thread turns into shipper bashing, I'll shut it down.  Only warning.

#15 otacsum

otacsum

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:52 PM

Wow, so much support from everyone!  Thanks all for chiming in.  I'm eager to hear what you find in your stashes.  

#16 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:37 PM

Let's focus on the people willing to help and the shipper issues. Would be great if we could keep this thread possitive.
  • Geo31 likes this

#17 PPPPPP42

PPPPPP42

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:15 PM

My opinion on the fine fellow who shipped it to you would definitely fall under shipper bashing so I will skip that.

A good lesson for shippers, you are taking responsibility for getting either the product or the replacement value in payment to the destination so insure the package for its actual value.

Get them to give you the direct number to the IL DC (not easy to find those numbers sometimes) which is one of the huge ones I think so that you can call with a description of the contents.  Likely he didn't bother putting a packing list with your address inside (as recommended) or writing your name and address and his on at least 2 sides of the box in black marker (also recommended) in addition to the UPS label and so if the label came off on the conveyor belt circus they have at that place its likely just sitting in the lost package pile.

They would have opened it to look for more info if the label was gone and seen the contents but if its been a month something is definitely wrong and its probably not coming out of there on its own.  I don't know how long they sit on stuff before it gets tossed either.  I am guessing the pile at a DC that big could be a bit daunting which doesn't help.

I don't think it would have been stolen as the contents would have looked like garbage to anyone that isn't into telescope making plus its not so easy to get complete packages out of a DC without notice so it would have likely been opened first.

Edited by PPPPPP42, 02 August 2019 - 10:16 PM.

• Sol Robbins likes this

#18 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:41 PM

I found an Edmund 6" f/8 mirror but I know you would prefer a Criterion.  Let me know if things don't work out with Larry.  

I thought that the 6" Edmund and Criterion mirrors were both made by Upco, and were essentially the same. 

Chip W. 

• Chuck Hards likes this

#19 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 03 August 2019 - 12:48 AM

Within a certain time frame, can't recall what years.  Good point!

#20 Larrythebrewer

Larrythebrewer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cincinnati, Oh

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:03 AM

mirrors definitely need recoating, Don’t know if someone else’s are in better shape, but they’re yours if you wamt them

Attached Thumbnails

• DCBD19BA-F08F-4491-BE00-FBEBE212A034.jpeg
  • A86A2ADD-639F-4A27-8535-CEFE92EFB6E2.jpeg
  • CA0B692B-EF48-40E8-A8B0-62ED483F848D.jpeg
  • ACCDA59D-7BB2-4FF8-88F6-DFA059376204.jpeg
  • 9C894E8A-7F79-45BF-A152-8E277B7D69AE.jpeg
  • D09B750D-55B6-40D1-9678-5B4ECBD9224F.jpeg
  • 9B7D9E20-3C79-4A7D-8822-6DBC0578C553.jpeg

• tim53, BarabinoSr, Geo31 and 3 others like this

#21 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

We did buy Upco mirrors from time to time to supplement production, but the majority of RV-6 mirrors were ground and polished in house.
  • Deven Matlick, terraclarke, Geo31 and 1 other like this

#22 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Mariner 2

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:26 PM

Sorry to hear...I stopped shipping with UPS and FEDX because of lost items, even insured. They just don't seem to care about getting a handle on their internal training and loss issues. Shipped over a hundred items with USPS insured (and not insured), knock on wood, they have not lost any of them.

Go figure, USPS use to be really bad. FEDX is suppose to be improving but I'm staying with USPS for now. DHL is good but their prices are high even with an account unless your shipping large volumes so I only use them for overseas shipping of items over 20lbs. UPS has flat rate shipping up to 20lbs for overseas.

I know someone who had a FedEx "smart post" package listed as "delivered" and signed BY THE DELIVERY PERSON.. something like "ARRRR".   He filed a claim and they denied it stating the package was delivered.  Receiver drove around the neighborhood looking for it a few days later, and found it on the front porch of an abandoned house.  Apparently, the delivery person could not find the address, so he/she just signed it and tossed it on the nearest porch... 

Never ship FedEx "smart post".

Edited by Tom Stock, 08 August 2019 - 04:26 PM.

#23 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:32 PM

I know someone who had a FedEx "smart post" package listed as "delivered" and signed BY THE DELIVERY PERSON.. something like "ARRRR".   He filed a claim and they denied it stating the package was delivered.  Receiver drove around the neighborhood looking for it a few days later, and found it on the front porch of an abandoned house.  Apparently, the delivery person could not find the address, so he/she just signed it and tossed it on the nearest porch... 

That was probably short, for "ARRRR Matey!" The driver couldn't find it because of the eye patch.

Chip W.

• wrnchhead likes this

#24 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:51 PM

mirrors definitely need recoating, Don’t know if someone else’s are in better shape, but they’re yours if you wamt them

I wouldn't mess with the primary for a few years yet.  Maybe the secondary as well.

I could see through my 8" f/6 mirror in my Springfield for about 30 years before I finally got it recoated.

#25 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:54 PM

I've had that happen many times.  Usually UPS or Fedex make that mistake.  I don't think USPS ever has (in LA, that is).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics