•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

UPS Lost my Mirrors! (And other Dynascope restoration woes.)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

My Dynascope restoration has hit an unexpected, and possibly insurmountable snag.  UPS LOST my mirrors. 

So...here's my sympathy plea.  Does anybody have a set of Criterion 6" Dynascope mirrors they're willing to part with?

I seem to have the worst luck with UPS as a shipper.  

I had sent them to Jeff @ Majestic for a recoat as the final step of my restoration (aside from a custom eq drive I'm still designing.)  On their return trip they fell off the face of the earth.  UPS customer service is garbage, and Jeff and I are still fighting with them on the claim a month later.  

It's worth noting that Majestic does not insure your mirrors unless you ask for it, so at best I might get $100 from UPS (their maximum default liability.)  If you're getting something bigger done, be sure to ask Jeff for a shipping quote with extra insurance.

Of course I can get some junk 6" replacement mirrors from eBay, or I can wait for another Dynascope to turn up for cheap, but I'm just absolutely heartbroken, enraged, and defeated on this project now.  The original mirrors were known for their amazing quality and I may never get that back.  I have so much time and elbow grease invested, and a fair bit of money.  

By the time I replace the mirrors and probably recoat them...again, I probably could've bought a really nice 8" OTA for the same investment.

Finally, here's eye candy of the restored mount and OTA...sans mirrors. bawling.gif   

Just to give you some measure of hope, Several years ago I ordered a custom built bike where I hand picked every single part at a significant expense.The package was shipped cross country from California to Chicago.

After it was shipped via UPS, the package was lost for almost three months. After lots of phone calls and some frustration it one day showed up in perfect condition and I was happy to put that experiance behind me.

Keep your fingers crossed, and keep calling. It may one day show up. They never did give me a explaination of what happened, but were obviously able to track it down eventually. It may have been my persistence that eventully helped locate it.

Edited by Mbinoc, 09 August 2019 - 12:11 PM.

• bremms and Defenderslideguitar like this

#27 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

Just to give you some measure of hope, Several years ago I ordered a custom built bike where I hand picked every single part at a significant expense.The package was shipped cross country from California to Chicago.

After it was shipped via UPS, the package was lost for almost three months. After lots of phone calls and some frustration it one day showed up in perfect condition and I was happy to put that experiance behind me.

Keep your fingers crossed, and keep calling. It may one day show up. They never did give me a explaination of what happened, but were obviously able to track down eventually. It may have been my persistence that eventully helped locate it.

Interesting. Many years ago( 1991 maybe) I had ordered a a Dura Ace group for my team frame ( I had a partial voucher) It didn't come for about a month and the shipper was.. We'll send you another.. That one shows up just fine. Six weeks later the original showed up. I contacted them ( large company) the guy says" Keep it, the claim was already paid. "  I still have one set on my old custom steel bike.

• PeriodicTrends and Mbinoc like this

#28 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:58 AM

My first ever package I shipped via fed ex they tried to deliver to me the next day.  I explained to the driver that the from address is not the address the package gets delivered to lol.gif

• bremms, Geo31, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#29 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

Interesting. Many years ago( 1991 maybe) I had ordered a a Dura Ace group for my team frame ( I had a partial voucher) It didn't come for about a month and the shipper was.. We'll send you another.. That one shows up just fine. Six weeks later the original showed up. I contacted them ( large company) the guy says" Keep it, the claim was already paid. "  I still have one set on my old custom steel bike.

I should have said decades, not years. As this purchase described was in the very early 2000's. right around the millenium.

Somewhere around $2300+ was on the line and almost lost.

I no longer have the frme, but  the components purchased have been spread out, (and some have been sold), a few are still being used to this day.

Now that my need for speed is over, I mostly just cruise around town on vintage classics that were made way before my time.

I'm now more likely to be seen on something like tis.

1.JPG

This one is the first street bike my father bought me in the 80's. This Schwinn has been re-furbushed to look older than it is, But I have several older ones from earier decades in my collection that get regular use.

Edited by Mbinoc, 09 August 2019 - 12:57 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#30 otacsum

otacsum

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:54 PM

Oooohhhhhhh myyyyyyyy! grin.gif Look what just landed on my doorstep after 1 1/2 months... (wonderful wife just sent these photos.)  From the looks of it, it must've gotten eaten by a machine, because they would have had to drop-kick it to dent the corner that badly considering it weighs next to nothing and is packed wall to wall with the rigid pink insulating foam sheets.  

Of course today's the day when I won't be home until 9pm.  The impatience is killing me =0)

UPS-Majestic.jpg

UPS-Majestic-2.jpg

Edited by otacsum, 13 August 2019 - 01:55 PM.

• terraclarke, Geo31, Bonco2 and 5 others like this

#31 dallen24

dallen24

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

Don't know if I can sneak in another UPS shipping story, but here goes.  Twenty years ago Tom Waineo, a retired optician, ground me a 24" mirror.  He sent the mirror to the coaters via UPS.  Showed up on the docking bay, no shipping crate, with several chips along the edge.  I was not happy.  I had the coaters go ahead and coat the mirror.  I masked out the chips.  First light was fantastic!  Afterwards I settled with UPS.  We figured out the mirror lost a certain percentage of ability and I was reimbursed that percentage of insurance value.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#32 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:23 PM

I knew Tom Waineo back about 1969-1970.  I was a member of the Detroit Astronomical Society, and was thinking of making an 8" f/3-f/18 Gregorian.    Tom took the almost complete 8" mirror back with him to MA.  He put some final touches on it and sent it back.

I still have that scope today. (well, currently apart)

smile.gif

• tim53 likes this

#33 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Viking 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:35 PM

Wow so the originals finally came? That's unexpectedly great news!

• tim53 likes this

#34 dave brock

dave brock

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:08 PM

Of course it turned up. It's "Priority Mail". 😁

#35 Larrythebrewer

Larrythebrewer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cincinnati, Oh

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:35 PM

So happy they showed up!
Hopefully they’re undamaged, & you’ll be up & viewing with excellent views.

#36 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:07 AM

And all’s well that ends well! waytogo.gif

#37 otacsum

otacsum

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:59 AM

Of course it turned up. It's "Priority Mail".

USPS Priority was the outbound trip, and it made it to Jeff just fine.

So...here's the verdict.  Mirrors are intact, but the box had been opened, (by whom?)  The primary was unwrapped from its lens paper, and the reflective surface was facing directly against the rigid foam undecided.gif.  Despite this, it's surprisingly fine, yay concavity.  There is one TINY little fleck in the surface and a hairline scratch near the edge, about 1/2" long, along with a handful of additional tiny hairline scratches that are barely perceivable.

The coating itself is definitely catching more photons than it was before - Jeff did a good job here.  Before when I pointed it at something really bright like the sun or a headlight, it had a mylar'esqe translucency to it.  Now, there are only a few pinholes that seem to let light through.

I guess it'll do tongue2.gif, although I'm bummed it's not "perfect."

• terraclarke, Defenderslideguitar and Mbinoc like this

#38 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

I wonder if it went to the wrong address and whoever they delivered it to opened it up? After deciding it was on no use, they decided to return it? Hmmmmm....some people! :(

#39 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

Good thing it was not used as yard art the high intensity beam of reflected sunlight

would lay waste and turn their house into burned out cinder.

Robert

#40 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

Maybe some dimwit at UPS was thrown off or mad about the USPS Priority Box?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics