•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M8, M20 Hypered Arista EDU 100

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Todd N

Todd N

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:35 AM

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

Another iteration in my astrophotography pursuit that didn't pan out as well as anticipated; Better than the last time though. Arista 100 has been among the best responses to hypering in my testing.  It's a traditional style film that had a bit of minor grain in test shots; No big deal from my point of view but, as you can see it looks more like an ISO 400 film. I've had the same outcome with hypered Tri-X. My supposition is these modern film formulations are using a combination of large and small halide crystals where the smaller ones of coarse giving a finer overall grain appearance. Modern Tri-X is incredibly fine grained for an ISO 400 film that rivals an ISO 100 film. But, I think the "low light" conditions aren't activating the smaller halides and are left with the bigger crystals only coming into play hence grainy picture. I suspect this hypered film would best be employed with longer focal lengths and brighter deepsky objects.

Arista EDU 100

Hypered H2 6psi 52hrs @30C *

Preceded by overnight vacuum

HC-110 1/63 dilution

Canon Rebel 2000

200mm 1.4x: 280mm f.l. @f4.5

Single 20min. exp.

* In my testing with many films(Namely Kodak and Arista) higher heat(40C) is negatively effecting the films producing low contrast. Lowering the temp eliminated this issue. I now have standardize on on temps 30C to 33C.

Todd

• Eric P, Joe F Gafford and ngc7319_20 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics