•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Automatic Be star spectra acquisition with PRISM v10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Olivier Thizy

Olivier Thizy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: France

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:54 AM

Hello,

long time I haven't posted an update so here are some latest information regarding my Observatoire de la Belle Etoile observatory in my backyard. I have now switched 100% to almost automated observing. My goal is to acquire Be star spectra using a C11 on a Losmandy Titan mount and a fiber fed echelle spectrograph. Most equipment is described on my blog:

https://observatoire...e.blogspot.com/

I am using PRISM as it controls all my equipment (telescope mount, focus, guiding camera, dome; spectrograph camera and calibration lamps). I wrote my own script uing PRISM very basic but sufficient language in order to determine the best target to goto (based on BeSS database priority, my own priority, distance from telescope position and visibility/distance to meridian), point telescope there, center the target (simple logic: I am looking for the brightest star in the guiding field), run autoguiding and multiple exposure spectra acquisition... and of course some initial sequence (CCD temperature, acquisition of calibration frames) and end of session sequence (closing dome & equipment!).

I just put a video on YouTube which doesn't have audio nor comment but just show a typical 7h sequence with spectra acquisition (ok... some long boring sequcne that could be edited/removed there!). I also show some PRISM v10 feature I'm using as well.

The script in its current version is also described on my blog:

https://observatoire...ar-spectra.html

And the video is there: https://youtu.be/Id2auVGFuIA

Enjoy and of course contact me if you have any question I could help with!

Cordialement,

Olivier T.

thizy@free.fr

• robin_astro, gregj888, R Botero and 3 others like this

#2 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:42 PM

Thank you for posting this, Olivier. I have began using PRISM and am learning more about its capabilities to support scientific imaging and photometry, but I have much to learn. It seems to be very capable but the English documentation seems to be lacking so I will be reading your blog posts carefully! The French documentation seems to be good.  

-Bruce Van Deventer

Edited by 555aaa, 15 August 2019 - 02:43 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics