•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Chinese 60mm 1.25 solution

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 squirrels

squirrels

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

Hey all! First post in a long while, but thought this was worth sharing. I ordered a 60mm crayford 1.25 from aliexpress yesterday and it should arrive at the end of the month.

It's a total gamble, but I really haven't enjoyed the .965 eyepieces for my Bushnell Sky Chief refractor.

Here's a link to what I'm trying. I'll update this after It arrives and I'm able to install it.

Edited by squirrels, 04 August 2019 - 09:59 AM.

• Marc-Andre, Bomber Bob, PirateMike and 1 other like this

#2 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Piccolomini Observatory

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:31 AM

Well that's just cool!
  • Mr Magoo likes this

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

...a site for folks who forgot their glasses..?!?

I had to check the settings of my screenbrowser - the first image opened up at size "HUGE" but could be clicked on to bring it down to a sane size...but alas I then couldn't scroll...to scroll down I had to go back to the overblown image & the rest of the images were all ginormous - can't say that they didn't provide you with enough perspectives of that focuser though..!!! :rofl: 

#4 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

Cool!!  It looks like it rotates, too, a feature I like for scopes on equatorial mounts.  I, too, will be awaiting your report!

#5 squirrels

squirrels

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:32 PM

So, the focuser arrived today! 10 days from China isn't too bad!

Initial thoughts:
A well made focuser with smooth action. The rotating focuser is a nice touch. Fits into the 60mm sky chief pretty well. A definite upgrade. The mounting holes are almost where the original focuser holes are.

So the question is, should I drill new holes or slightly file out the current holes?
  • Mr Magoo and Bomber Bob like this

#6 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:35 PM

Depends on how far they're off. If really close, just extend the old holes a bit.

#7 squirrels

squirrels

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

They're mostly visible, on the edge of the old holes with maybe 2mm not showing.

#8 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:01 PM

Depends on how far they're off. If really close, just extend the old holes a bit.

That's what I'd do.  It also facilitates getting the focuser aligned with the optical axis.

#9 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:46 PM

I would just expand the holes already there, no sense putting more holes in it than necessary.

#10 BFaucett

BFaucett

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:48 AM

...a site for folks who forgot their glasses..?!?

I had to check the settings of my screenbrowser - the first image opened up at size "HUGE" but could be clicked on to bring it down to a sane size...but alas I then couldn't scroll...to scroll down I had to go back to the overblown image & the rest of the images were all ginormous - can't say that they didn't provide you with enough perspectives of that focuser though..!!! rofl2.gif

Try the non-mobile link:

https://www.aliexpre...Eg1564826688271

Bob F. smile.gif

• Bomber Bob likes this

#11 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:00 AM

So, the focuser arrived today! 10 days from China isn't too bad!

Initial thoughts:
A well made focuser with smooth action. The rotating focuser is a nice touch. Fits into the 60mm sky chief pretty well. A definite upgrade. The mounting holes are almost where the original focuser holes are.

So the question is, should I drill new holes or slightly file out the current holes?

I'm assuming the original screws are chrome Phillip's-head...  I'd enlarge the original holes as needed, then get some chrome washers from M-C, bend them to fit the tube, and make the change look more like OEM.  That would cover the larger holes, too.

• walter a likes this

#12 squirrels

squirrels

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

Slightly extending the holes worked! We'll see how first light is. The neighbors mailbox looks pretty good!

#13 squirrels

squirrels

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

Here's a close up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190815_200339_HDR_640x480.jpg

• Spyke, BFaucett and agmoonsolns like this

#14 squirrels

squirrels

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:09 PM

Doesn't look weird on the scope either!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190815_200345_HDR_640x480.jpg

• Spyke and BFaucett like this

#15 squirrels

squirrels

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:25 PM

Okay, so my take.

This focuser is a giant leap forward when compared to the stock R&P. Being able to use some 1.25 plossl made the experience nicer.

The action of the focuser is smoother than I had expected. Almost zero shifting when adjusting focus.

For my scope it has more than enough back focus and just the right amount of in focus for what I tried. I went up to 82x power and had about a half centimeter of in focus left. Jupiter and Saturn both looked nice and better than the pinhole .965 eyepieces.

Pointing up at Vega, I didn't notice any slip. The nylon lock nut did its job. The rotating focuser worked fine as well.

Big win for me at a reasonable cost. This is an improvement my dad would have liked on his old scope.
  • Spyke, sneeds and BFaucett like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics