•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking forward to binoviewing again.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

It's been a few years since I last owned a binoviewer. I have an optically superb SW 127 mak, which has provided wonderful mono views of the moon.

I've been spending a bit of time here on the binoviewers forum, and it made me recall the stunning views of the moon I enjoyed in past times. I decided the other week to go for it and purchased a new set of WO binoviewers. It was a set of WO that I last owned, and was very happy with their  performance. My interest is lunar and planetary. I raised the required funds by selling off my eyepieces

I decided that I wanted a stable platform for the binoviewers, and purchased an adapter to convert the rear cell thread to std 2" SCT, onto which I have attached a Baader 2" Clicklock visual back. Diagonal wise, I have invested in a Altair Astro 2" prism diagonal with built in locking collar and with the needed 2 to 1.2" adapter to accept the binoviewer.

I am happy to used the supplied WO 20mm eyepieces for lower power views, but I wanted a nice pair of quality eyepieces for higher more critical viewing. After searching I came across what must have been the only pair of Fujiyama 12.5mm HD orthos available here in the UK! I think the smooth barrels will be a plus point. If for any reason I wish to share views with someone who struggles with the bino, I have the 20mm and 12.5mm for that purpose.

I'm eagerly awaiting their delivery possibly tomorrow.

So I am looking forward to enjoying those lovely lunar views again and it's all thanks to you guys!

Regards

Mike

Edited by mike bacanin, 05 August 2019 - 04:04 PM.

• Gary Z likes this

#2 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 06 August 2019 - 01:18 PM

Yes...I agree.  I generally do not use a bino.  I have an excellent 6"f/15 I rarely use the binos on...but last night the moon was setting across the tree line and was in perfect view from the garage.  Since the grandkids have been hounding me for a look through my smaller homemade 6" f/6.5...it was the right time.

I broke out a set of Zeiss Microscope binos I converted for astro use...inserved some 16X(15.6mm) EP's and fully enjoyed a crisp 63.3X view of the crescent moon.

What a pleasure to view totally relaxed and unstressed.  Love my Binos.  Coupling them with a 2x barlow gets me right in the action for moon viewing.

Glad you are getting back into it..it is the best....

Rob

• REC likes this

#3 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

Thanks Rob. Weather here is not so great, and we have a few trees causing some obstruction. I'm hoping it won't be too long for 1st light. The orthos arrived today so looking forward to trying them.

Mike

#4 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:03 PM

Yeah, since I lost Gold Mtn Observing Center in the Bremerton Watershed....I've had to live with really tree encroached views...pretty much meridian views these days...unless I top a bunch of trees to the South.

Glad you're beginning to get back into it.  Will need a barlow to get the mag you seek?

Rob

#5 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:53 PM

I just had 1st light on the moon and Jupiter.
The WO 20mm gives a very nice view of the moon which fits within the field of view. I read a post recently which suggests using a 2" diagonal extends the focal length to around 1750mm. Based on this, the 12mm fujiyamas give around x140. Lovely detailed views especially along the terminator and the southern heavily cratered region. Definitely the wow factor! Jupiter was showing good detail in steady moments. Both were low down so seeing not great. I am looking forward to views when the moon is higher, but I am very pleased.
Mike
  • REC likes this

#6 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:56 PM

Sorry forgot to mention a Barlow not really needed, but I always have the 1.6x WO Barlow.
Mike
  • REC likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics