•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellafane 2019

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 philipdehazya

philipdehazya

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:02 PM

Hi all: unfortunately we could not attend stellafane this year. To anyone who was able to go, how was the viewing in the evening?

Thanks-Phil

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

Thursday night was fantastic - no dew! Friday and Saturday had a little dew in the wee hours but I cut observing short on Saturday since a long drive lay ahead for me on Sunday.

You missed a good one. Uncle Al Nagler brought his newest eyepiece, the Apollo 11. Really nice wide field of view with plenty of eye relief. He also had his gen 3 hand held white light image intensifier. It delivered fantastic views of Milky Way Ha clouds using a 6nm filter. Now that I know what these devices can do I must have one!  

#3 philipdehazya

philipdehazya

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

Good viewing!! Now I feel worse!

#4 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:24 PM

Thursday night was fantastic - no dew! Friday and Saturday had a little dew in the wee hours but I cut observing short on Saturday since a long drive lay ahead for me on Sunday.........

Thursday night was good; I covered up my Obsession 20 around a quarter to 4 - after completing the "Observing Olympics" and getting my pin!

Friday night was not as good, with clouds hitting around 12:30 - I gave up around 1;30 AM after observing 21 objects. A friend who stayed up all night said it cleared around 2:30, with one more short batch of cloud about an hour later, but otherwise clear until dawn.

Saturday night was again a very good night. I covered up my 20" around a quarter to 3, and it was still clear. I think that the Southern Horizon was in fact the best on Saturday night.

While there was some dew - there was not a drop of rain the entire time (altho there was a downpour just a short ways away - end of Jordan Road, on Saturday afternoon.). For most of the time the humidity was pleasantly low - and it got cold enough the first two nights to require a jacket. 

There were a bunch of great presentations too!

One bit of bad news -- the "new" and very good food vendor has announced that 2019 was his last year. He is retiring. They will have to find a new food vendor - hopefully someone just as good.

-- But after being at Cherry Springs three times in the last 2 months - I noticed that Stellafane is getting brighter skies - or I'm just getting use to Cherry Springs and SQM readings of 21.85 or better. Also the headlights were worse than I ever remember. While I understand about Saturday night (main presentation - many locals came for this year's) the number of people driving around was very high on Thursday and Friday nights too. A number of them would start their vehicle -- and then sit there for several minutes - before driving away. They made an announcement about it - but to no avail.

Edited by George N, 06 August 2019 - 11:25 PM.

#5 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:00 AM

I'm hoping/wondering if the brighter skies were due to forest fire smoke, not general light pollution?  My clear-sky clock had been linking smoke-maps just before the weekend.....

There was indeed a lot of headlight issues... of course, it doesn't help that most new cars light up like a christmas tree when you get within 30 feet of them.....  and there appears to be no way to shut that off.   One tip is to just not lock your car ( an impossible thought for the urbanites) so the owner doesn't have to hit the unlock button on his key each time he needs something, triggering the light show.....

But.... that isn't safe!!   Well, I initially backed in to my spot Friday, not knowing if I was going to stay there, or park someplace flatter..... and  realized Saturday morning that the key was still in the ignition..... 

I did notice someone who had taped black plastic over his lights, thanks for that!

#6 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

Saturday night was again a very good night. I covered up my 20" around a quarter to 3, and it was still clear. I think that the Southern Horizon was in fact the best on Saturday night.

I had to skip all the southern objects on the OO list on Friday night, and I picked them all off on Saturday night (minus a few that were already really low on the horizon around 2-3am).  Yeah, Saturday night turned out quite nice.

After around 3am, I got lost in M31/M32/M110. With my widest FOV, I could see both dust lanes and the satellite galaxies were surprisingly bright.  Nicest view I've ever had with grouping!

(Sorry Phil, I don't mean to rub it in. frown.gif ).

• George N likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics