•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue SV102-Access Apo Refractor

• Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#451 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:10 PM

I usually just use an RDF, but in my red zone, I find the RDF and RACI combo helps with the star-hopping—especially at zenith and when looking for the fainter fuzzies and clusters.

#452 jp76

jp76

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, California

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:35 PM

You're right, thanks! I was basing my question on my old Orion finderscope. Looks like that didn't fit because it wasn't machined well. The new 6x30 RACI fits fine. It does stick out a bit because there's no back notch on the Stellarvue base, but both base screws still catch on to the finder stalk.

You can always swap the finder shoe. I tried a GSO RACI finder on my sv102-access but it totally unbalanced the scope. I finally acquired all the hardware to mount it to the top of one of the rings but it doesn't quite fit mounted next to the telrad I acquired and I'd rather have the telrad I think. (I also have a 30mm UFF.) I'll probably just keep the RACI and all the mounting pieces in my parts box just in case it's needed someday and stick with the telrad I mounted on a 1x2? on top of the rings. Its a bit big but it works. I was never sure what all I needed to use one of the Stellarvue RDFs so I never bought one.

• stevew likes this

#453 jp76

jp76

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:12 PM

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a case for this telescope? I would like to transport it with the 2" diagonal attached. I would think a hard case would protect the telescope best from any other items impacting it while its being transported in the trunk of a car. Or should I just order the C9S and be done with it?

#454 desertlens

desertlens

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:35 PM

The SV C9S is very stout, well padded and tough on its exterior surfaces. I've found it to be the ideal case for the 102 Access.

• stevew, dmorrow, Auburn80 and 2 others like this

#455 Mattman1701

Mattman1701

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Buffalo, New York

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:11 PM

The SV C9S is very stout, well padded and tough on its exterior surfaces. I've found it to be the ideal case for the 102 Access.

Ditto

• stevew and jp76 like this

#456 jp76

jp76

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:04 PM

Okay thanks. I just placed my order.

• stevew likes this

#457 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

Since I am on call, I could not spend much time with the new acquisition tonight. Put it on my Voyager mount and just surfed around the sky a bit with my 18.2mm Delite. Stars were sharp across the field with no visible color. I centered Vega and put in my 5mm Delite to do a quick star test. Perfectly concentric rings inside and outside focus, no sign of pinched optics or any other issues that I could see. 

The only issue that I could find was what felt like slightly rough spots while racking the focuser in and out. When I went inside I checked the rack and there were no signs of debris or damage. I did a slight adjustment on the screws holding the pinion and it is now buttery smooth. Overall I am very happy with my purchase.

Now that you've had your scope for a bit, I'm curious how you feel the AT compares against the SV, or did you decide to sell the AT after all?  I've been more than pleased with my AT and have no regrets missing out on the SV sale, but still curious how they compare visually and mechanically in the real world with real eyes.

#458 joseph07081

joseph07081

Messenger

• Loc: Chippewa, PA

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:32 AM

Now that you've had your scope for a bit, I'm curious how you feel the AT compares against the SV, or did you decide to sell the AT after all?  I've been more than pleased with my AT and have no regrets missing out on the SV sale, but still curious how they compare visually and mechanically in the real world with real eyes.

I felt the AT compared very favorably to the SV. Honestly, if I were just going to continue using it visually, I would not have even given it another thought. My main reason for switching from the AT to the SV was that I will be using it for astrophotography some day and I wanted the slightly better glass. I will not hesitate to recommend the AT102ED to anyone, I feel it is a fine scope. 

• Steve Cox likes this

#459 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

I have both and will be keeping both.  The AT is my "backup" for when the SV dews over.   The focuser is great on both, but I do like the super smooth rotating feature of the SV.   The SV has a little better star test, but both are good.   

Since I bought the AT102 I've used my SW120 much less and since I bought the SV102 with that deal I have hardly used the SW120.

Dave

• joseph07081 and Steve Cox like this

#460 joseph07081

joseph07081

Messenger

• Loc: Chippewa, PA

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:00 PM

I have both and will be keeping both.  The AT is my "backup" for when the SV dews over.   The focuser is great on both, but I do like the super smooth rotating feature of the SV.   The SV has a little better star test, but both are good.   

Since I bought the AT102 I've used my SW120 much less and since I bought the SV102 with that deal I have hardly used the SW120.

Dave

I would have loved to have kept both, use the AT102 for visual, grab-n-go use, and the SV photographically. Unfortunately I have also recently upgraded my eyepieces to Televue Delites, added a new M2C mount, waiting on a new AT72EDii, and looking at a new mount (most likely a CEM40). I am selling off little used items to help fund the new updates, and I could not justify keeping both right now.

• ken30809 likes this

#461 Matty S

Matty S

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hillsboro, Nh

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:11 AM

Been nothing but clouds and rain here for weeks, but set up the scope on my mount for some pics. I opted for the case (very nice) and the 2" quartz dielectric diagonal. This is the upward limit for a grab n' go setup, IMO.

Shown on Twilight I mount with the hefty 20mm Nagler (to judge the payload) and 55mm Plossl. The mount handles the scope well with just a little shake after focusing which settles quickly. Can't wait to get it out under the stars!

Attached Thumbnails

• sv1022.jpg

• Don Allen, eros312, ken30809 and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics