•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue SV102-Access Apo Refractor

• Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#26 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:22 AM

If you want a grab and go refractor, you won’t find a better deal brand new. A $400 8” Dob will go deeper though, and come with a mount. So yes it is a good scope and virtually risk free at this price. It is just a question of if it is the right scope for you.

Scott

And yes ... this is a grab and go scope.  I carried my AT102ED (same length) mounted through the door last night.  I would not even think about doing that with my SW120ED.

Edited by russell23, 06 August 2019 - 08:23 AM.

#27 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:39 AM

Nonsense

I agree it sounds fishy. Access series was outsourced so it doesn’t seem like it was taking up a lot of their time.

#28 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:49 AM

I agree it sounds fishy. Access series was outsourced so it doesn’t seem like it was taking up a lot of their time.

But look at the transition they have made to their premium scopes.  They have added a huge amount of in house work with what they are doing.  That makes dealing with the Access line scopes an unneeded annoyance.   In fact, they might originally have planned to keep both Access lines and work on their new lines and have found out that the work on the new lines is too much so that is why they are getting rid of the Access lines.

Let me give you an example from my work.  I'm extremely flexible in what science courses I can teach so I am frequently handed new courses.  I also have the self-inflicted habit of creating work for myself by designing new courses that kids then actually sign up for.   So last year, on top of the chemistry course I normally teach I was told they needed me to take over the Forensics course - a course I had team taught with the regular forensics teacher a decade ago.  In other words - not my expertise.  So my focus the last school year was on Forensics.  Even though my chemistry course is well established I found it difficult to give the chemistry course the same amount of mental energy I usually give it because the Forensics was consuming most of my mental energy. 

Edited by russell23, 06 August 2019 - 08:56 AM.

#29 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:05 AM

Doe's the SV102-Access have FPL-53 or not?  The site doesn't specifically state FPL-53.  I would like to know-before buying, Thanks.

#30 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:09 AM

Doe's the SV102-Access have FPL-53 or not?  The site doesn't specifically state FPL-53.  I would like to know-before buying, Thanks.

The early access scopes were FPL-53.  The later ones were switched to an equivalent glass (FCD-100 I believe).

#31 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:14 AM

The early access scopes were FPL-53.  The later ones were switched to an equivalent glass (FCD-100 I believe).

The same glass used in the new Stowaways (FCD-100, that is).

Inb4 the cries of inferior glass and misleading marketing. 

#32 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

So, if I order a SV102-Access it would not a FPL-53 glass- correct?

#33 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:19 AM

So, if I order a SV102-Access it would not a FPL-53 glass- correct?

Probably not.  But it would be one of the FPL-53 equivalent glass types - the type that most of the manufacturers (even Astrophysics) are switching to. 

It will be better than the FPL-51.  

#34 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

I am asking - because I just bought a AT102ED. If the SV102 is a better scope I'll buy one and sell the AT102.

#35 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:36 AM

I am asking - because I just bought a AT102ED. If the SV102 is a better scope I'll buy one and sell the AT102.

I also have the AT102ED.  It uses the FPL-51 equivalent FK-61.  The SV Access line uses an FPL-53 equivalent.  My 80mm SV Access free of any visible CA on Jupiter.  The AT102 has visible CA on Jupiter.   I'm pretty sure there are some previous threads on the 102mm Access that would provide more on that specific scope.  I can tell you that it does provide an equivalent glass to what you are looking for. 

• ken30809 likes this

#36 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

The Access has better glass. The combination of FCD100 and lanthanum should make it essentially free of CA, at least for visual use
  • ken30809 likes this

#37 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:03 AM

-------------------------------------------------

Quote by Vic today 8/6/2019 in a e-mail to me and other Stellarvue scope owners:

"One of the biggest distractions to the work has been our import line. We do not merely import and resell these telescopes, we have to align them, tweak focusers and that sometimes entails machining parts so the focusers operate smoothly. Having this line also confuses our customers who may ask are we a manufacturer or reseller? The answer “both” is not a clear answer.

So about two weeks ago we decided to stop trying to be all things to all people and specialize in what we do best. We decided to get out of the reselling business and focus entirely on our SVX line of hand figured, high Strehl instruments."

If you want answers just call their number I've had conversations with Vic many times over the phone and in person. Half the time he answers the office phone or if he doesn't ask to talk to him. 

If you have had a problem with any companies product or service state what it is and maybe it can be worked out. Guessing and making assumptions about products without fact is unfair to potential buyers, buyers, and sellers and manufactures. I'm sorry but I'm quite tired of one line bashing.

Edited by scadvice, 06 August 2019 - 11:29 AM.

• rustynpp, Jeff Bennett, JKAstro and 2 others like this

#38 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:04 AM

Seems pretty clear and on the up and up to me. I picked one up grin.gif

• havasman, Jond105 and Jdrasberry like this

#39 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:10 AM

Quote by Vic today 8/6/2019 in a e-mail to me and other Stellarvue scope owners:

"One of the biggest distractions to the work has been our import line. We do not merely import and resell these telescopes, we have to align them, tweak focusers and that sometimes entails machining parts so the focusers operate smoothly. Having this line also confuses our customers who may ask are we a manufacturer or reseller? The answer “both” is not a clear answer.
So about two weeks ago we decided to stop trying to be all things to all people and specialize in what we do best. We decided to get out of the reselling business and focus entirely on our SVX line of hand figured, high Strehl instruments."

I assume they will still do all those things (align, tweak...) as they get these Access scopes unloaded.

Edit: yes. The website says they are being slammed with orders and it will take a while to check them and get them out.

Edited by russell23, 06 August 2019 - 11:14 AM.

• erin likes this

#40 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info!
  • scadvice likes this

#41 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors

I assume they will still do all those things (align, tweak...) as they get these Access scopes unloaded.

Edit: yes. The website says they are being slammed with orders and it will take a while to check them and get them out.

Based on my experience, both as a buyer and socially with Vic I can't see him operating any other way.

• Lewis Cason likes this

#42 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Yes. After I placed the order, they sent an email stating that the first 20% were checked and readied and they are taking extra time to do that for the rest, so it will ship in a couple days. First rate service, IMO.

#43 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:44 AM

Any guesses how many there are/were to be sold?  My order placed at 2:00AM CST has been confirmed (and not within the first 20%), so I'm thinking the rest might disappear in a day or two.

Edited by howardcano, 06 August 2019 - 11:48 AM.

#44 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:52 AM

Any guesses how many there are/were to be sold?  My order placed at 2:00CST has been confirmed (and not within the first 20%), so I'm thinking the rest might disappear in a day or two.

I'd call and ask.

#45 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:55 AM

I'd call and ask.

I'm only curious, so I'd prefer to not bother them while they are in a crunch.

#46 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:07 PM

These two SV scopes use FCD100 and a Lanthanum element.  Probably both have very good color correction. 

Bill

#47 joe4702

joe4702

Mariner 2

• Loc: Poway, CA

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

I just ordered a 102 and my CC was charged, so they appear to still be available. The website says if the item is still listed, it's available, but may take a while to ship since they are inundated with orders and need to do their QC check on each scope. I had to pay CA sales tax unfortunately but still seems like a good deal.
  • howardcano likes this

#48 karstenkoch

karstenkoch

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:12 PM

This sale will be discussed for years to come here in the refractor forum. It's a milestone in the 102ED doublet market. You will never be able to buy a higher quality, higher performing 102mm "glass + focuser" combo for less in the future. I wouldn't borrow money to jump on this, but if you have been waiting, now is the time to jump.

Edited by karstenkoch, 06 August 2019 - 03:20 PM.

• howardcano and erin like this

#49 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:02 PM

This sale will be discussed for years to come here in the refractor forum. It's a milestone in the 102ED doublet market. You will never be able to buy a higher quality, higher performing 102mm "glass + focuser" combo for less in the future. I wouldn't borrow money to jump on this, but if you have been waiting, now is the time to jump.

For sure.  I was considering whether to get a second AT102ED or spend more on the SV102 Access.  So when I heard SV was going to be clearing their Access stocks I decided to hold off to see what the clearance price was going to be.   When I saw that price last night I ordered one right away -- about 9:15pm Eastern time and I received a note today that the samples that were already checked and ready to go were sold very quickly and already accounted for.  So I will be one of those that will have to wait a few days before mine ships.  I'm completely unconcerned about that.   I'll be keeping my AT102ED as well. 

• Rollo and howardcano like this

#50 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

Well, just ordered onecrazy.gif . This will be my fourth 102mm refractor. I will have to let one or even two of them golol.gif . I just bought a AT102ED a couple months -ago. russell23- you're a bad influence!!!waytogo.gif

• russell23 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics