•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Inherited a "Questar" - I have no idea what I have

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Schroeder

Schroeder

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:25 PM

Admin - Please delete if not okay...I inherited a "Questar" - I don't know anything about it - I did a search, but there are so many models, I can't figure it out ( i think it's ~ 1980?")- thought this would be a source for a little knowledge - I can post more pics if that will help - any info appreciated, thanks!  - Serial number is 7-DP-10758

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190806_132204.jpg

Edited by Schroeder, 06 August 2019 - 06:26 PM.

• TSSClay likes this

#2 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:31 PM

Go to Telescope Specific forum.  There is one dedicated to Questar.  You have a gem!  Plenty of folks here can advise.  Lucky you

• Terra Nova, Augustus, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#3 Schroeder

Schroeder

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

Thanks so much for your help!

#4 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:38 PM

This is a Questar Duplex, which allows the optical tube to be removed from the fork so that it can be mounted on a tripod and used as a telephoto lens or a spotting scope, in addition to being a fine astronomical telescope. 

The Questar is a complete portable observatory, often considered to be one of the finest small telescopes, both mechanically and optically. 

This is the kind of inheritance that many people here dream of!

Chip W. 

• BFaucett, Augustus, Defenderslideguitar and 2 others like this

#5 Schroeder

Schroeder

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:00 PM

Thanks so much for the information! - I don't need another hobby, but I guess it deserves some thought! - Thanks again!

• BFaucett and Defenderslideguitar like this

#6 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:49 AM

That is one BEAUTIFUL scope. bow.gif

• Defenderslideguitar and Schroeder like this

#7 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:38 AM

Thanks so much for the information! - I don't need another hobby, but I guess it deserves some thought! - Thanks again!

A good $2500-$3000 is what you have there.

• Mr Magoo, Richard Whalen, bremms and 4 others like this

#8 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:02 PM

SchroEder

Hey so it is none of my business    and you have mentioned that you dont need another hobby     tell me about it? lol     but   it may be that whoever left it to you    possibly chose you to leave it to because they thought you wouldnt sell it for 50 bucks at a yard sale     that you might value it enough to learn about it  and try it out and   maybe really enjoy it?

Just a thought   again nobodys business   but  I would learn about it     use it a bit  and decide what to do next year     unlike other telescopes  that can take up lots of space  in a small area   that one will not be in your way....

btw    Jupiter is a fine  object to test it on   right now  as well as the moon and  Saturn

all the best

DSG

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 07 August 2019 - 01:03 PM.

• Paul Hyndman, Mike E., Marc-Andre and 3 others like this

#9 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:53 PM

The scope is a Duplex from 1997.  That's what the '7' means at the front of the serial number.  The 'DP' means Duplex as described above.   There are no other descriptors in the serial number so it means a basic aluminum and silicon dioxide coating to the mirror and the lens in the front.   There could be a variety of enhancement like a Q for quartz mirror or Z for zerodur mirror, BB for better coatings, etc. 

There is no power cord in the case and I am pretty sure I see a Powerguide II controller at the top of the scope portion of the case in the blue velvet slot in plastic in the picture.  This is plugged into the bottom of the scope, and a 9 volt battery in the Powerguide drives the motor in the scope to track right ascension.  

So a nice basic Questar, and like many that are passed down through generations, in very nice shape.  You have a sun filter in the door of the case at the top, and you have likely a 16mm and 24mm Brandon eyepiece (the 16mm is in the eyepiece holder of the scope.  There also should be an instruction manual.  There is a whole forum here on Cloudy Nights for Questars and a lot of owners would love to help you make use of this wonderful tool of discovery.  Oh, Questars are numbered sequentially so this scope is the 10,758th made.  grin.gif 

The two long legs go into the side of the base and the shorter adjustable one goes in the center threaded hole in the base.  The three legs make a triangle and allow you to adjust the scope for latitude.

Congrats on receiving this from someone that thought you would appreciate it.  It is the creation of a man that loved astronomy and whose company has survived for seventy years.  Many consider it the last telescope they would part with.  I am one of those.  waytogo.gif 

Enjoy!

• Mike E., Marc-Andre, Bomber Bob and 5 others like this

#10 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:35 AM

"I don't need another hobby, but I guess it deserves some thought!"

You have had the odd good fortune to be given something unfamiliar to you, yet that happens to be the holy Grail among afficionados of its class. Many of us have scarcely seen Questars in person, let alone had much opportunity to use one. Do yourself a favor, and learn to use that telescope. If you find you love it, keep it. If astronomy (or bird watching!) proves not to be your thing, at least you will have availed yourself of the rare opportunity to dabble with a Questar.

Edited by Joe Cepleur, 08 August 2019 - 09:36 AM.

• Terra Nova, Augustus and Schroeder like this

#11 BradFran

BradFran

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mars

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

At least learn how to set it up properly without damaging it... and point it a the moon. Trust me, it will be worth the effort. If you do decide to sell it, make sure it goes to someone who values it.

Here is a good overview of what you have:

http://www.company7....es/quedupl.html

• Terra Nova, Augustus and Schroeder like this

#12 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:07 PM

"I don't need another hobby"

Realistically, I believe we are the odd balls in our society. 

Even if he tries it out, I'll bet it's monetary value will outweigh any interest in astronomy.

• Schroeder likes this

#13 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:04 PM

Over the years, many newcomers were going to sell their telescopes, but kept them after being persuaded to try them. One never knows the outcome in advance. Of course, if this thread's author sells *this* Questar, it should only be sold to me!
  • Terra Nova and Schroeder like this

#14 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:20 PM

Admin - Please delete if not okay...I inherited a "Questar" - I don't know anything about it - I did a search, but there are so many models, I can't figure it out ( i think it's ~ 1980?")- thought this would be a source for a little knowledge - I can post more pics if that will help - any info appreciated, thanks!  - Serial number is 7-DP-10758

Even if you do not need another hobby, take the opportunity to bring this telescope outside. Let it cool down or warm up for about 30-45 minutes before you point it at the sky.

Then point it at the brightest "stars" in the southern sky.  Two of the brightest will not be stars at all but Saturn and Jupiter.  You can find them easily because they won't "twinkle" like stars do.

Yes, you can see a picture of Jupiter or Saturn.  But, there is something special about seeing it RIGHT NOW. In REAL LIFE with your own eyes. No hubble photo, just you and a telescope.  Increase magnification as far as you can without it breaking up and watch it for awhile... there will be moments of improved detail as the atmosphere moves between you and empty space.

Watch the moons travel in their orbit slowly ... drifting in front of the planet and leaving their shadow on the planet as they pass. Yes you can see the movement but it's very slow.. almost like watching a minute hand on a clock.  Look at the rings of Saturn just hanging there weightless around a planet which is 9 times the size of the earth.  Saturn also has moons.

And of course look at our moon.  It's best when it's NOT full... look long the shadow's edge.

Even if you do not need another hobby, see these three things before you ever consider selling that scope. 

What you have there is a scope I have always wanted but could never (and really still can't) afford. 

It was built with the utmost care, the optics and machining are outstanding, and yes if you sell it you will have some money.

BUT money disappears quickly ... that scope could last the rest of your life if you take care of it, and it will likely be worth even more some day in the future than it is now.  Someone left it to you for this exact reason.

More info:

https://www.youtube....h?v=j-TpG7qsFqg

Clear skies

Edited by Tom Stock, 08 August 2019 - 08:35 PM.

• Terra Nova, telesonic and Schroeder like this

#15 Schroeder

Schroeder

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:08 AM

Over the years, many newcomers were going to sell their telescopes, but kept them after being persuaded to try them. One never knows the outcome in advance. Of course, if this thread's author sells *this* Questar, it should only be sold to me!

I appreciate everyone's passion in this group. After my 30 days wait period for classifieds, I will be selling it, hopefully to someone who will appreciate it as much as my friend did.

#16 mdbradshaw

mdbradshaw

Vendor - Axis Squared LLC

• Vendors
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:25 AM

I had one when I was much younger, I got it for a paltry sum from a relative who supported my astronomy hobby.  It outlasted much larger scopes in my collection, and was my constant companion across several states.

However, 20 years ago I found myself broke, not able to pay rent but holding a $1500-2000 telescope.  So, i did what everyone does in that situation, and I sold it.  Of course, 6-8 months later my situation changed, and I was no longer broke, but I also didn't have a Questar anymore.

I regret that to this very day.  NEVER get rid of your Questar.  NEVER.  Even if I bought another now, it wouldn't be THAT one, THAT one which was basically given to me by a scientist mentor relative, THAT one which showed me so many things, THAT one which went to Aruba for the 1998 eclipse, THAT scope is long gone.

NEVER GET RID OF YOUR QUESTAR.  Put it on the shelf in your office if you're not going to use it at night. 

• Schroeder likes this

#17 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• Loc: Fenton, MI

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:44 AM

I appreciate everyone's passion in this group. After my 30 days wait period for classifieds, I will be selling it, hopefully to someone who will appreciate it as much as my friend did.

A suggestion if I may..

The other members here are going to kill me for this....but truth be told - you have a multi-thousand dollar gem there.  If at all possible - try to find someone, possibly a forum member here, to to an honest evaluation / appraisal... it will be worth the time and possible expense.  I'd hate to see you list that for $1500 or something when you could have gotten $2500 or more... 

Possbily even an online auction as opposed to a fixed price.  But, you really need to have it evaluated.  There are folks here who can do that for you... it all depepnds on how much time and $$ you want to invest.  but if you arent in a hurry, and really want to get the most for it - a proper evaulation would be in order.

If it were me - and I didn't need the $$ - I'd keep it like the others have said. If you ever do have an interest in astronomy - you will never find another like it.

Edited by Escher, 09 August 2019 - 09:44 AM.

• Schroeder likes this

#18 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:41 PM

I'd second that. Since you're on record here as not knowing what you have, and you're a new CN member, it's going to be harder to get the best price for it. Questars, as well-built as they are, can develop issues over time. A member here, probably in the Questar forum, can help you with checking the scope out, and documenting it properly so that you can write a proper ad with the kinds of photos that a knowledgable buyer would want to see.

We all grimace when we see an ad for a fine scope where the seller says they don't know anything about what they are selling, so don't ask any questions, and its clear that the price was set from looking at similar sales. Often, here on CN, those sales are from experienced amateurs who have solid reputations for thoroughly presenting items with all issues clearly noted. People pay extra in those cases because they know exactly what they are getting.

Having one of those people help you will enable you to get better action on your ad, and to avoid misunderstandings with buyers that could result in PayPal complaints. 

Chip W. 

• Schroeder likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics