•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Just got my Oberwerks 15x70s!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:55 PM

Well, today at about 5:15, the UPS guy had a present for me.. :) Now, the largest binoculars I had used or seen in person were my 7x50s, so the sheer size of these things took me a bit off guard!! Good think I also bought a binocular tripod mount!!

After setting up my scope at 9:00pm, I decided to play with the binoculars for an hour or two while the scope cooled down. To say I was floored, is an understatement! I mean, the view through these things is amazing!! It feels like I am going to "fall right in." I could easily pick out Jupiters 4 big moons, and could see separation between saturn and its rings. Then I decided to go DSO hunting.

I had tried to find M53 with my scope the other night, and came up short. Pointed the binocs in the general direction, and within a minute, had found it!! Was a very obvious fuzzy spot.

You remember my post last week, wondering if it was possible to see M81/82 in my 7x50s.. I felt like maybe I had convinced myself they were there.. with the 15x70s, I KNOW I saw them.. it was clear as a bell (no averted vision.. just popped right into view!)

Also was able to find M51. Not quite as obvious as M81/82, but was visible in direct vision.

While these might not be the best astro binoculars out there, they are a HUGE HUGE HUGE step up from my 7x50s.. They are light enough, that I can do some hand holding (M81/82/51 were almost directly overhead. Was able to keep nice and still, lying my back). These binoculars definitely get two thumbs up!!!

-Mark

#2 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:57 PM

Great! It only gets better... :bigshock:

#3 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:18 AM

Mark,
That is great news Sir !!! After a few days of use, give a report on your impressions. Sounds like they were definitely worth the $$$. Lots of us are interested in the 15x70's. Oberwerks makes some great products, I am very happy with my 8x42's and 11x56's.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:54 AM

Way to go Mark! Just wait until you see Orion's Nebula, M42, and the Pleiades, M45. These are the classic messier objects in my opinion. I know you'll find them stunning with your new obies.

#5 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:21 AM

Very exciting Mark! You've just raised my expectations for my Oberworks 15x70 that are due here today. And, it looks like we're in for a awesome night of seeing tonight. :jump:

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:53 AM

Scott-

I would definitely say these were worth the money (at lest from my initial impression). Best bang-for-the buck I have had in this hobby! :)

Nightwatch- I will definitely be on the lookout for the orion nebula and pleiades, as these are two of my favorite objects in the sky (unfortunately, by the time I got my act together last night, they had already gone below some trees across the street).

Dennis-

They are definitely worth getting excited about, but dont get too excited on my account. Remember, I am as green as green gets when it comes to binoculars, so this account is coming from a very inexperienced person. All I know is the view is MUCH more impressive than my Nikon Shoreline 7x50s, but from the sound of things, that isnt saying much ;).

-Mark

#7 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:41 AM

Mark, they've just arrived! And as one very inexperienced bino person to another, they are impressive and I share your enthusiasm! Nice feel to them .. good balance & weight. Can't wait till dark!
Enjoy!

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:34 PM

You're getting the same binos Dennis? Excellent. Please share your impressions. And they couldn't come at a better time. The weather in New England is finally dry and relatively clear!

#9 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:49 PM

Yes, I'm hoping for some good viewing tonight and will gladly pass along my first impressions. Won't be out late as I'm heading off to NEAF at 5:30am tommorrow. I want to get in line early before all the good stuff is gone: :getem:

#10 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:02 PM

Dennis,
Congrats buddy,
Am I really the last one to get a set ????? :lol:
Are you mounting them? If so - on what? Good luck tonight and have fun.

#11 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:05 PM

Congratulations, Mark & Dennis! I'm a newbie to Oberwerk 15x70s myself, and I think they're great binoculars.

Scott, whatcha waitin' on? :lol: :grin: :lol:

#12 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:07 PM

$$$$$

:grin:

#13 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:08 PM

I heard that! :money:

#14 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:11 PM

Thanks Scott and Bill!

Mounting them on my $30.00 camera tripod. Made an L-bracket that works ok. Bought a new Burgess tripod at the NEAF show along with a pair of new Burgess 20x100s. Burgess didn't have them at the show, and they are due in a few weeks. We'll see ... :whistle:

My Oberwerk 15x70 was showing double images, but I learned how to collimate them at the NEAF show. We due for great conditions tonight, so I'll take them out for a spin. :jump: My very brief look the other night wowed me.

#15 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:13 PM

That is great. I want to know how you like the 20x100's when they come in !!! Have fun with the 15x70's Sir.

#16 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:12 PM

I'm looking forward to an extensive review ( :grin: ) of the Burgess 20x100s, Dennis!

#17 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:44 AM

Took my Oberwerk 15x70s out for a spin. Hope Mark doesn't mind my continuing his excellent post with my brief viewing.

Got home at 10:00pm so I was unable to go after some of my favorite clusters which had set already. First stop filled my FOV with the Beehive. I was mesmerized for several minutes. I’m already hooked at this point. Binoculars provide stunning views. Dropped south to M67 for a quick visit, then off to Jupiter with it’s moons. It was bright. CA evident as I moved back and forth in front of the Obs. Assume really good binos would not have this problem. Went looking for M65, 66 in Leo without success, but will try again later. Off to M3 ... got it. Somewhat faint, but I was pleased to see one of my favs. I realized that with my Star Atlas, I am getting to really learn the locations of these objects as compared to a more general idea when using my Go-to scope. I’ve got a lot to learn, and look forward to the process. Found a very faint M51. Viewing toward Zenith is a pain in the neck, so I pulled my binos off the flimzy tripod, hit the lounge chair on my deck, and panned around the big dipper. I really enjoy the bino views! Went to find M81, 82. Yep, right where they are suppose to be ... galaxies with 15x? Like Mark, I’m amazed! Just wandered around at this point captivated with the new views until clouds sent me packing. I’ll get out early next time so I can view the double cluster, M45, M36, etc, and begin some real planning. Star hoping is much easier with binos. I travel frequently on business and will now never leave home without ‘em! What a treat!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics