•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What equipment have you lost in the dark?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:39 PM

I went way up a mountain, a mile up a dirt road, scanned the heavens with my gear, and now can't find my 5x25 binoculars. That was my favorite pair.

I offered $30 gas money for people to drive me the 80 miles there. None are interested in the nearby hot springs. The one willing to drive just wants to turn around once we get there.

They have been up there about a week in a brushy area that is not a designated camping area. If I go looking, they might not be there. My friend lost some gloves once and returned the very next day to find them gone. Either people or cats.

What gear have you lost, did you go back for it, and was it still there?

#2 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:42 PM

Ditto on binoculars...so much for having the strap.

#3 Astroman007

Astroman007

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:43 PM

frown.gif Sorry about the loss of your binoculars, sir. I hope they weren't too valuable. Replacement possible? "Lost" ad, with or without $30 reward?

Now I feel blessed to have in all my years of astronomy lost only a single setscrew (easily replaced with one from my toolbox at no cost).

#4 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:53 PM

I lost the holder for the hand controller to my AVX mount.  The plastic holster that attaches to the leg.

I replaced it by putting velco squares on each leg top.  Then I could attach the HC wherever I wanted.

Actually worked out much better.  :)

• Astroman007 likes this

#5 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:37 PM

I have lost a tarp I used to block lights from another camper.  Battery cover for one of my DLSR cameras. 

#6 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

My friend lost some gloves once and returned the very next day to find them gone. Either people or cats.

I am guessing people...one thing I have learned over the years of owning pets is that cats hate wearing gloves.

I am trying to think of something I haven't recovered from an observing session.  I lost a balaclava somewhere this past winter.  I either left it sitting on something while removing snow chains in the dark, or it fell out at some point when I opened a door.  All I know is it wasn't with any of my stuff the next time I prepared to observe.

I "lost" a mechanical pencil at a site a few years ago.  I didn't know I had lost it until I returned the next month and found it at the very spot I had been using.  I have several of these older ones, which is why I didn't realize I had left it.  It reinforced my observation that the site didn't get much use in winter since it had been undisturbed in a sand/gravel parking lot.

• izar187 and Astroman007 like this

#7 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:47 PM

A clear and cold November night, went until 3am. Tired, chilled to the be bone, exhausted. Packed everything into the car and did the 80 mile drive home to my (then) downtown Chicago home.

Upon reaching home, put all the equipment away. A bitterly cold Chicago winter and schedule closed down all observing until late February. Everything sat in storage, out of sight and out of mind.

Preparing for my first session of the new year opened up my case - no 14mm Radian!

I wondered if it might still be in place over the winter, hibernating under the snow undisturbed.

No such luck - it was gone.

• Jon Isaacs and Joe Eiers like this

#8 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:10 PM

Lens caps, polar scope opening cap, thumb screws.

#9 Astroman007

Astroman007

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:20 PM

A clear and cold November night, went until 3am. Tired, chilled to the be bone, exhausted. Packed everything into the car and did the 80 mile drive home to my (then) downtown Chicago home.

Upon reaching home, put all the equipment away. A bitterly cold Chicago winter and schedule closed down all observing until late February. Everything sat in storage, out of sight and out of mind.

Preparing for my first session of the new year opened up my case - no 14mm Radian!

I wondered if it might still be in place over the winter, hibernating under the snow undisturbed.

No such luck - it was gone.

frown.gif

#10 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:28 PM

My roommate can go on Friday. Hopefully they are still there. They no longer make the Bushnell's.

I saw my friends thumbscrew on the seat of his truck, near the crack. I passed it back to him before it got really lost. Thumbscrews are simple, but the design leaves something desired.

Edited by stargazer193857, 06 August 2019 - 11:05 PM.

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:35 PM

Over the years I have lost a few eyepiece caps, nothing else that I can think of.  One time we were observing in the Mohave Preserve at our favorite spot and I found a Pentax eyepiece cap.. 

Jon

• Astroman007 likes this

#12 mikerepp

mikerepp

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harwood Heights, Illinois, dark site Manistique, Michigan in UP

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:34 AM

I have lost a few eyepiece caps in my back yard always find them.............the next time I mow the lawn.undecided.gif

• Astroman007 likes this

#13 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:51 PM

Ep caps and screws.

Many of my ep's were used and came with none.

All are in bolt cases or prescription bottles, so caps are optional. 

Once left a tripod out in a clearcut on public land.

Custom built to fit under a table top scope.

It was late and I was tired packing up.

Realized the next morning I'd left it there, as it wasn't in it's place behind the seat in my car.

Went and got it after work that next late afternoon early evening.

It was just calmly standing there, still a little warm from the sun.

#14 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:08 PM

A 28mm RKE got left behind. I check CN classifieds often seeking a replacement. The ads for them always say Sold! Before I can make an offer.

#15 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:20 PM

I lost a screw once and didn't even think about making a 4hr round trip to look for it.

#16 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Aurora

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

So far the only thing I am aware of losing is a fancy Allen key that came with my Portaball. It had a nice t-handle. . .

When I pack out, I always do a double pass. The first pass is a bright light around the observing area, and the second is to check that all the slots in cases are filled.

So far so good . . . 

• Jeff Morgan likes this

#17 bumm

bumm

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:45 PM

Fortunately, nothing big or expensive.  I once lost the piece of yellow romex I use to tie up the legs on my tripod.  No way I could have not seen it if it was still where I plunked it down.  I figure that the only way it could've disappeared was to be dragged off by some small animal while I was fixated on my eyepiece. 

Aside from that, only the occasional plastic FOV circle that I use on my charts, which is why I keep a set of properly sized circles on paper so that I can easily trace off a new one.

Marty

#18 SpaceOtter

SpaceOtter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:19 PM

I left behind a vibration suppression pad somewhere. Had to buy a new set. Now I have five pads, so I can lose two more pads before I have a problem again.

• wrvond likes this

#19 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:59 PM

I once lost one of the lenses in my eyeglasses at a remote site. I looked for it with a flashlight but never did find it. Driving home that night was sort of an adventure.

#20 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:17 PM

2" Baader UHC filter and case....someone probably found it as it was at the clubs dark site.

#21 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:14 AM

Vibration pads, all three, just forgot to pick them up, and a rather nice brand new pocket knife,D

#22 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:54 PM

I called the ranger station. Nothing found or turned in. So I'm hoping it will be there when we go back.

#23 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:17 PM

In 45 years I’ve never lost so much as a lens cap on the observing field.

Stolen is another matter though - some years ago I had a pair of 11x70 binoculars which, while at a club observing night, grew legs while I wasn’t looking. Easily taken, easily hidden under a jacket and not readily identifiable.

Ever since I’ve tried to sect stuff that is identifiably “mine” and in some cases had it engraved with a code.

Edited by luxo II, 08 August 2019 - 11:21 PM.

#24 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:52 PM

Eyepiece caps, thumbscrews and Rubber Tripod feet/covers (all of which I eventually recovered).

#25 Chris Y

Chris Y

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bortle 7 - Wichita, Kansas, USA

Posted 10 August 2019 - 03:54 AM

I've only lost a rubber cap for a tripod leg.  A piece of leftover fuel hose from my Jeep made a great replacement.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics