•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Good Afternoon, I won this used telescope in a raffle but it seems no one can identify it.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

• Loc: NJ, near Philadelphia, PA

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:06 PM

Just curious, Danyune, have you looked in the rear of the tube with a light and noticed anything on the back face of the mirror? Written, scratched, label?

• Jon Isaacs, Jimmy462 and Augustus like this

#27 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:04 AM

Is the worm gear off the drive motor of Nylon construction ? .... I remember discussions about a optical firm maybe a cottage industry in the Colorado area maybe Denver area IDK . Run by a woman I think for a short period of time . That produced a Newtonian and a clock drive with a Nylon or Delrin  worm gear . Maybe Neil ( Apfeaver ) can refresh my memories   .      

• Joe1950 likes this

#28 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:11 AM

I had one of those drives, Tom, and the worm is nylon or some other non metallic material. Also the worm assembly is spring loaded against the main gear. When you get on the target, you engage the worm which pivots onto the large gear and is held by pressure by the spring tension.

It was a relatively inexpensive arrangement and worked okay for visual. If I recall, too much periodic error for photo. I may have parts of it somewhere such as the main gear and maybe the worm assembly, but I'd have to look.

Circa the mid 1970s?

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#29 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:14 AM

The telescope was clearly assembled from parts from  different source. As stated the focusers is Meade as well and 50mm finder. The spider is from Edmund, I have one. The drive is from Schmidt and Associates from the late 70's Here is a  link to their ad in a 1978 Sky and Tel https://archive.org/...08-cbr/page/n65. It also looks like the legs for the pier have been modified by cutting off  the ends off to shorten them.

- Dave  

Edited by DAVIDG, 08 August 2019 - 09:17 AM.

• Jimmy462, Joe1950 and Augustus like this

#30 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:27 AM

I FOUND IT ...... S&S OPTIKA ........ DMala..... RIP frown.gif , had one . Here is his thread on it ...

https://www.cloudyni...ap-6/?p=6712395

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 08 August 2019 - 09:41 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, tim53, Jimmy462 and 1 other like this

#31 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

The  telescope clock drive is a .....Schmidt & Associates ... https://www.cloudyni...ap-6/?p=6834848

#32 danyune

danyune

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:01 PM

Just curious, Danyune, have you looked in the rear of the tube with a light and noticed anything on the back face of the mirror? Written, scratched, label?

I have not seen anything written or whatnot, I did look but there was no indication that there was anything. I did find some extra cobwebs

I had one of those drives, Tom, and the worm is nylon or some other non metallic material. Also the worm assembly is spring loaded against the main gear. When you get on the target, you engage the worm which pivots onto the large gear and is held by pressure by the spring tension.

It was a relatively inexpensive arrangement and worked okay for visual. If I recall, too much periodic error for photo. I may have parts of it somewhere such as the main gear and maybe the worm assembly, but I'd have to look.

Circa the mid 1970s?

That era sounds correct. I apologize but I don't even know what the worm is, I assume the long gear looking thing that the round gear is against? The thing that maybe spins the telescope ever so slowly if plugged in?

The telescope was clearly assembled from parts from  different source. As stated the focusers is Meade as well and 50mm finder. The spider is from Edmund, I have one. The drive is from Schmidt and Associates from the late 70's Here is a  link to their ad in a 1978 Sky and Tel https://archive.org/...08-cbr/page/n65. It also looks like the legs for the pier have been modified by cutting off  the ends off to shorten them.

- Dave  

You are quite knowledgable, it's insane how people here can look at something and identify parts from decades ago just from pictures alone

I FOUND IT ...... S&S OPTIKA ........ DMala..... RIP frown.gif , had one . Here is his thread on it ...

Oh wow, that indeed does look almost exactly like it! The metal shim pieces at the end differ slightly, but maybe they were replaced. That's quite the investigative work you got there, thank you!

#33 danyune

danyune

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:05 PM

Ah dang, went to S&S optika's site, looks like they're a local company to CO, and they shutdown. I was hoping to contact Cathy to let her know I have one of her Father's creations. From reading the thread, looks like they made a 6" and 8", and I presumably have an 8". I wish there was a way if anyone knows how to contact her, maybe even a FB page?

• Jimmy462 and Augustus like this

#34 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:14 PM

Ah dang, went to S&S optika's site, looks like they're a local company to CO, and they shutdown. I was hoping to contact Cathy to let her know I have one of her Father's creations. From reading the thread, looks like they made a 6" and 8", and I presumably have an 8". I wish there was a way if anyone knows how to contact her, maybe even a FB page?

I believe the folks above are just referring to the origins of the mount as S&S Optika. The consensus seems to be that the whole scope was put together with various individual components from different sources.

• Joe1950 and Augustus like this

#35 danyune

danyune

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

I believe the folks above are just referring to the origins of the mount as S&S Optika. The consensus seems to be that the whole scope was put together with various individual components from different sources.

Gotcha! Ok so looks like there is no actual original manufacturer, but more of a custom project by someone, who presumably knew what he/she was doing, and eventually abandoned?

#36 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:47 PM

Gotcha! Ok so looks like there is no actual original manufacturer, but more of a custom project by someone, who presumably knew what he/she was doing, and eventually abandoned?

Others will probably know better, but I suppose there's a chance it was a S&S Optika scope that over the years has been modified. That said, the pedestal feet are different too.

• Joe1950 likes this

#37 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:22 PM

Danyune, the mechanical item connected to the mount, having the large, round  aluminum gear is known as a clock drive. You are correct that the motors move the gears which slowly move the telescope opposite of the Earth’s rotation to compensate for the motion and keep an object in the eyepiece field of view.

Not using a clock drive, an object would drift out of view and you would have to move the scope by hand to re-acquire it.

The motor(s) are slow moving to begin with. But the motion is further slowed bu the action of what is traditionally known as a worm and wheel gear.

The large aluminum disk with gear threads machined into is is the wheel, while the smaller cylindrical part that is threaded like a large machine screw, is the worm.

They would rotate the entire scope, assuming it didn’t hit anything, one complete time (360 degrees) in one day.

The worm gear, if I recall correctly, is spring loaded to fit against the wheel. And there is a friction clutch arrangement that allows you to move the scope and mount axis by hand, and still having the drive engaged.

The clock drive is connected to a steel shaft on the mount, called the ‘polar axis.’ For everything to track properly the polar axis has to be pointed at the Earth’s north polar axis which is close to the ‘North Star’ or ‘Polaris.’ The alignment, for visual use need not be perfect for the clock drive to track, but the closer it is, the better is the tracking will be over longer times.

Hope this helps!

joe

• TOM KIEHL and Jimmy462 like this

#38 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:30 PM

Was it not that S&S Optika was a " Cottage Industry " or a Ma and Pa garage business of the  time ? Hence the use of the Schmidt & Associates clock drive , the Meade focuser , the Edmund spider . The leg differences might of been what was available at the time of construction of the total package . Apfever , Neil knows more about  S&S than I . S&S was in his neighborhood back in the day .

• Joe1950 likes this

#39 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:38 PM

danyune , Your setting circles are absent from your images also . Do you have them ?

• Joe1950 likes this

#40 danyune

danyune

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:48 PM

danyune , Your setting circles are absent from your images also . Do you have them ?

I will be completely honest, no clue what those are, but if they are absent from the images, then I do not have them. Everything in the picture is what I was given, including only one lens piece for both the main tube and the finder tube each

#41 danyune

danyune

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:50 PM

Danyune, the mechanical item connected to the mount, having the large, round  aluminum gear is known as a clock drive. You are correct that the motors move the gears which slowly move the telescope opposite of the Earth’s rotation to compensate for the motion and keep an object in the eyepiece field of view.

Not using a clock drive, an object would drift out of view and you would have to move the scope by hand to re-acquire it.

The motor(s) are slow moving to begin with. But the motion is further slowed bu the action of what is traditionally known as a worm and wheel gear.

The large aluminum disk with gear threads machined into is is the wheel, while the smaller cylindrical part that is threaded like a large machine screw, is the worm.

They would rotate the entire scope, assuming it didn’t hit anything, one complete time (360 degrees) in one day.

The worm gear, if I recall correctly, is spring loaded to fit against the wheel. And there is a friction clutch arrangement that allows you to move the scope and mount axis by hand, and still having the drive engaged.

The clock drive is connected to a steel shaft on the mount, called the ‘polar axis.’ For everything to track properly the polar axis has to be pointed at the Earth’s north polar axis which is close to the ‘North Star’ or ‘Polaris.’ The alignment, for visual use need not be perfect for the clock drive to track, but the closer it is, the better is the tracking will be over longer times.

Hope this helps!

joe

Thank you for that information! I figured it was something of that sort, but definitely like having that cleared up

• Joe1950 likes this

#42 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:27 PM

1972 to 2015. I remembered their ads from Sky and Telescope, but in looking through the archive in the mid-70's I only saw their listings for Celestrons, Unitrons, and other brands. For a while, they were selling a special C8 package where they did a collimation and provided a Ronchigram image to show the quality of the optics. They didn't seem to be making whole scopes though -- very much a retail operation. It's possible (purely speculating here) that at some point they were assembling parts from different sources, such as Parks, Schmidt and Associates, Edmund, etc., to make a custom line of their own. So this may be mostly theirs (in the sense of their package), but at the same time a collection of components from other companies, with a few later mods. 

As was noted, they were in Neil's back yard, so he may know more. 

Chip W. 

• Augustus likes this

#43 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:25 AM

It looks to me like the S&S Optika tag is on the telescope's tube, not the mount.  

Jon

• Kasmos and Joe1950 like this

#44 grif 678

grif 678

Apollo

• Loc: NC

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:02 PM

Reminds me of the Meade 828 series you will see in the 80's S&T magazines.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics