•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Challenge for 5-6 inch scopes in Delphinus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter
  • Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:09 PM

In Delphinus: Ho 131 (SAO106138); mags 6.97-10.6; sep 3.5 seconds; PA 331 deg (NW).  Two other, fainter (mag11-12) components at 70" and 84".

WDS says this is a physical double at about 125 ly distance.

• flt158 and Astroman007 like this

#2 rugby

rugby

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:00 PM

Ho 131 in Del is a notch up the difficulty scale compared to John's choices in Serpens. Even finding this pair was painstaking. Given that the moon was getting pretty high in the sky ( 7 and 8 of Aug ) I didnt do badly.

Once found I set to work on the AB pair which slowly yielded as I upped the power towards 300. About 250x showed the very faint secondary using averted vision only . On the second night the sky was getting brighter allowing only brief sitings about 50 percent of the time. I guessed the PA at over 300.

The two companions listed as following proved tantalizing. I found both but had the mags reversed. Also, I think there are more . The fainter of the two seems to be also double.  My eyes are not that good. so please would someone with a bigger aperture tell me what I am seeing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics