•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Revisiting my Swift 839

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Scotland

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

Today, while idly browsing through the telescopes on ebay, in search of a good quality 8"-10" Dob, I happened across a Swift 831 OTA in what looks like good condition. So, I snapped it up because of my love for my 839 which I've had several years and only used very lightly.

So, this afternoon, I have been looking over the equipment and condition of my 60mm. I bought it off fellow CN and SGL-er, PhilJ, and have been thoroughly enamoured of it since I first got it. Although it included the unique EQ mount, I quickly decided I would prefer to use it on a modern mount, so have it on a modified AZ-3. Or sometimes on my AZ-4. Or sometimes on my Vixen GP.

Do you prefer to mount your classics on the original mounts or more modern ones? I find the AZ-3 is more stable and just sturdier in general. I keep the EQ mount in the storage box, along with the original eyepieces, and use 1.25" eyepieces in a 0.96" to 1.25" 90' mirror diagonal.

gallery_976_3555_1407448144_24506.jpg

Equipment-wise, I found I have the following, all original Swift items:

Diagonal, 2x Barlow lens, 20mm Huygens, 20mm Kelner, 12mm Kelner, 9mm Huygens, 6mm Triplane(?), and the screw-in solar filter. Most in good condition, but a few marks here and there.

The tripod is good, the EQ mount head is good, but sadly I have neglected to care for the box very much and it really needs some restoration. If anyone can post some links to anything that might help me with that, it would be appreciated. Given that I have no workshop or shed, and only minimal hand tools...

I include a link to the gallery of pictures I took today. Anticipation of the 831 has helped me revisit the 839 and I look forward to using them extensively this winter (along with my Tak FC100) - fingers crossed. 

https://www.cloudyni...1651-swift-839/

Ant  cool.gif

• CharlieB and Chuck Hards like this

#2 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:36 PM

Nice old classic.  Reminds me of my first Tasco 60/700 from back in the 1950's.   Loved that scope - never saw very much through it (limited aperture) but have memories using it in my backyard with my astro observing cousin Rick (he had a 3" Edmund reflector).  Neither scope was very good but the memories observing with them are PRICELESS!!!     

M11Mike

• Spyke likes this

#3 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:59 PM

Today, while idly browsing through the telescopes on ebay, in search of a good quality 8"-10" Dob, I happened across a Swift 831 OTA in what looks like good condition. So, I snapped it up because of my love for my 839 which I've had several years and only used very lightly.

Do you prefer to mount your classics on the original mounts or more modern ones? I find the AZ-3 is more stable and just sturdier in general. I keep the EQ mount in the storage box, along with the original eyepieces, and use 1.25" eyepieces in a 0.96" to 1.25" 90' mirror diagonal

Ant  cool.gif

You're going to like your new 831 - it's about as good as it gets for a mid-size achromat!  It'll make a fine big brother to your 839, which does plenty well for a 60.

My 831 usually lives on a Polaris with a sturdy wood tripod, it is way more stable there than the original mount.  I also replaced the .965 tailpiece with a 1.25 Vixen adapter, so I can use a good prism diagonal on it.   All the original pieces are stored, in case I ever want to return it to stock.

A well-adjusted AZ3 is a good choice, it makes for an easy-to-use grab-and-go scope, and is easy for guests to figure out how to use.....

Edited by roscoe, 07 August 2019 - 06:00 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

#4 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:21 PM

Here is how my 831 rides these days.  I'm still restoring the Swift mount, but not a huge fan of the stock mount anyway. 

Edmund mount with clock drive, home-made tripod, Vixen dovetail shoe, Orion clamp rings.  Actually this mount is a mule for a host of smaller scopes.

831 04 031.jpg  831 rings 001.jpg  831 rings 002.jpg

• Adam S, roscoe, terraclarke and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics