•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

MWGs satellite galaxies questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The Great Rift

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:49 PM

I was just flipping through some (not so) old Sky&T magazines and came across this..."the Magellanic Clouds are moving so fast that they can't be gravitationally bound to our Milky Way Galaxy--instead, they are first time visitors".

I don't remember ever knowing that but maybe I did and then forgot.  Since they are not gravitationally bound does that mean the Magellanic Clouds are not considered satellites and are not listed as such after 2012? How many satellites galaxies do we have?

The quote was in the June 2015 issue...page 23 by Govert Schilling and he was referring to an earlier piece in the Oct 2012 Sky&T...page 28

Edited by CygnuS, 07 August 2019 - 06:55 PM.

#2 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:10 PM

As far as I'm aware, that's not the scientific consensus.

#3 ILikePluto

ILikePluto

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:59 PM

The previous post is correct.

The Magellanic Clouds are satellite galaxies of the Milky Way:  Knowable Magazine.

Hubble observations circa 2006 erroneously found that the two galaxies had such high speeds they might not be gravitationally bound to the Milky Way, but later and better work, also by Hubble, found lower speeds.  Although the two galaxies are making their first pass by the Milky Way, they are also bound to it:  Scientific American.

The statement you quote from the 2015 magazine was out-of-date and incorrect even then, and it's still out-of-date and incorrect now.

The current number of known satellite galaxies orbiting the Milky Way is 58, including the Magellanic Clouds.

#4 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The Great Rift

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

58! I didn't think the entire Local Group even had that many. 

#5 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:41 PM

58! I didn't think the entire Local Group even had that many. 

Astronomers have found a lot of very dim dim dwarf galaxies in the last few years.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics