•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeiss and Leitz 10x eyepieces - help wanted for valuation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marc Feuerberg

Marc Feuerberg

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:12 PM

I have no idea what these are and was hoping someone in this forum might be able to give me a clue.  They were donated to my astro club and I got assigned the job of getting them sold.  I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what a reasonable amount to list them for would be.  (Not trying to maximize dollars coming back, I just want to get them sold and into a new home.)

I suspect they're for a microscope, since both say "10x" on them.  The top of the Leitz one rotates up about a 1/4 inch; assume that's for zoom or something.  

Let me know if you need better pictures, CN website would only let me upload low-res versions. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1192.JPG
  • IMG_1193.JPG
  • IMG_1194.JPG
  • IMG_1185.JPG
  • IMG_1187.JPG

#2 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:57 PM

The periplan eyepieces were designed for higher power microscope objectives and were to fit with specific objectives.  They may not be great choices for telescopes.  The Zeiss 10x should work well with longer f/l telescopes.  The rotating part of the periplan is a diopter adjustment if I remember correctly.  

I guess the best course is to try them.  I use a lot of microscope eyepieces and most of them work quite well, but a 10x eyepiece is only equivalent to a 25mm telescope eyepiece focal length, but with a very narrow FOV. 

Charlie

#3 Marc Feuerberg

Marc Feuerberg

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for the info Charlie - that makes sense.  Any idea what amount I should ask for it in the classified section?

#4 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:03 AM

Sent you a PM.

#5 TG

TG

Vanguard

• Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:04 PM

Some microscope eyepieces are designed to correct for the lateral color of the objective. These perform poorly in telescopes. IIRC, Zeiss corrected ones had a K or C designation. "Plan" eyepieces have a flat field so these are desirable.
  • bremms likes this

#6 Marc Feuerberg

Marc Feuerberg

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the info TG!  Much appreciated.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics