•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How will solving Wasserman-Wolf problem this impact our hobby?

optics refractor
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JJerzak

JJerzak

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

I saw this article today, announcing a mathematical solution for chromatic aberration.

Will this mean low-cost, high-quality optics, or simply a new type of high-cost, high-quality optics?

https://phys.org/new...al-problem.html

#2 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

Did you see the equation for this design?  I'm guessing it will be very expensive to fabricate.

• JJerzak likes this

#3 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:31 PM

I read a couple short threads on it and the consensus among the optics folks is that it will have little if any impact. I can’t tell you why, cause I don’t speak their language, but’s that’s what I took away from it. shrug.gif

• Jim_V and JJerzak like this

#4 JJerzak

JJerzak

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:50 PM

Yeah...I intentionally avoided any language which feigned actual smarts related to the topic.  Was hoping some folks here had the chops to chew on it publicly, while I watch and try not to choke on popcorn. 

From a position of ignorance, it seemed puzzling that you had to know the distance from the optic to the subject, but who knows, maybe you always need that value and that it changes is why we have to focus.

Bobito, you make a good point.  Knowing the shape doesn't mean it's easy to make, but perhaps it can be made of something cheaper, that's way easier to work with than say fluorite, if the shape yielded by the equation inherently wipes out chromatic aberration. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Joe1950 likes this

#5 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:47 PM

I kept telling everyone I was double checking the equation!  lol.gif

That equation went into the next zip code!

#6 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:00 PM

zero

#7 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:30 PM

I was originally going to question the opening statement "over two thousand years ago"..as I was not aware "lenses" were produced so long ago. Apparently they were, a quick google search shows papers written on quartz lenses dating back to 750bc. 

Learn something new every day!

• brave_ulysses likes this

#8 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:54 AM

I was originally going to question the opening statement "over two thousand years ago"..as I was not aware "lenses" were produced so long ago. Apparently they were, a quick google search shows papers written on quartz lenses dating back to 750bc. 

Learn something new every day!

One Mycenaean/Minoan artifact, the Pylos Combat Agate, is dated from 1450 BCE, and almost certainly would have needed some kind of magnifying lens to create,  The detail is simply too fine and exquisitely crafted at a miniature scale to have been done by the eye alone.

• brave_ulysses and Keith Rivich like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: optics, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics