•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DS80, Autostar alignment issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maudieinto

maudieinto

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:45 PM

I have a DS80 with the Meade 492 dual motors and a 497 handbox.  The handbox has been updated to 43G of the firmware using StarPatch.

I level the tube and point the DS80 tube to magnetic north.  I power up and go through the typical setup steps (date, time, location...). I select Two Star Align and select Antares for my first star (since right now it is right in the middle of my Southern sky).  The motors start slewing like they are swinging toward Antares. Then, the tube starts slewing to vertical and jams against the tripod.  It is pointed no where near Antares.

I did a Reset and went through the setup steps again.  Same issue.

I tried a Meade Audiostar that I use on my ETX125.  Same issue.

The motors are plugged into the correct jacks.

Am I doing something wrong in physically setting up the DS80?  Like, does the tripod mount have to be configured a certain way?

Any other suggestions?  I recently acquired the DS80 in an estate sale for real cheap and no one knew anything about its condition.

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:12 PM

Where are you, for this a location is useful. Very likely that Magnetic North is incorrect it should be True North (Polaris). You difference can be 13 degrees out in parts of the US. Search Magnetic Declination.

The movement sounds like power. If using batteries it is common unless they are high power and new (less then an hours old). If possible use a DC mains supply.

#3 maudieinto

maudieinto

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:49 PM

It's not the power.  I've tried a DC adapter and a DC12480 battery pack.  Same results.

I'm in Southern California.  I tried true north as well as magnetic north.  Same results.

#4 kurbs

kurbs

Explorer 1

• Loc: 60014

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:52 AM

If its not in the controller, most likely somethings goofy in the telescope main board that controls the motors. I may be wrong, but many of the DS series and Navigator series are pretty much the same. I have a  DSX90 mount that got funky on the RA side, and bought a used DS2000 mount for it. It hooked right up using the same cradle and mounting plate and works fine. 

Not sure where you may find a used board outside of EBAY, but the mounts themselves run from 20-60 bucks normally. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics