•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light on the Veil Nebula

dob dso observing observing report
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:19 PM

Two nights ago I got my first look at the Veil Nebula! All I can say is wow. Well, I can say some other stuff too. 

It's still not terribly dark up here but around 2:30 the skies were dark enough and the clouds gave me a little break. I turned my 8" dob up towards Cygnus and found the Eastern Veil fairly quickly. I was using my Agena 30mm 80° 2" eyepiece for the first time and the view was incredible! I could faintly make out the extent of the veil but then I threaded on my new (to me) Oiii filter and wow went to WOW!

While still faint, the veil stood out clearly from the background and I could easily see it curving and twisting around my whole field of view. That sucker is massive. I could see more detail with direct vision but more lengthy extent with averted vision. Next I panned west and found the Western Veil. On the way over I picked up the faintest hint of Pickering's Triangle or Wisp. The Western Veil is stunning, with 52 Cyg anchoring the subject, fairly distinctly even through the Oiii filter. I love how long and wispy this target is. 

All told, I probably spent only 15 to 20 minutes on it before hunting down M27 and M57 but I will be back!

• paulsky, John O'Hara, Jim T and 10 others like this

#2 bigdob24

bigdob24

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:02 PM

I remember observing this in my 24” StarMaster and my 20” StarMaster both with goto. It was amazing in both scopes , of coarse the 24” was the winner. I would goto one side and manually work my way across to the other , seeing all the wisps and detail in between, then push the goto and it’s amazing how far the Scope travels back to the first side.

BIG is the only way to describe it, then there was my TV 101 and a 31mm TV eyepiece that would get it all in the field.

Have to revisit it in my WO 132mm soon.

BD 

#3 Aaron_tragle

Aaron_tragle

Viking 1

• Loc: Richmond, Virginia

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:11 PM

I remember looking at the veil at bortle one with a 15 inch dob and OIII filter, looked like one of my Oxygen subs. The view is photographic, I should really hunt it down in 3 weeks when I go back to Bortle 1 with my 8 inch dobsonian.

• IMB and aatdalton like this

#4 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

Yes, photographic is exactly how I'd describe it. Just hanging there in space.

#5 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:48 PM

Two nights ago I got my first look at the Veil Nebula! All I can say is wow. Well, I can say some other stuff too. 

It's still not terribly dark up here but around 2:30 the skies were dark enough and the clouds gave me a little break. I turned my 8" dob up towards Cygnus and found the Eastern Veil fairly quickly. I was using my Agena 30mm 80° 2" eyepiece for the first time and the view was incredible! I could faintly make out the extent of the veil but then I threaded on my new (to me) Oiii filter and wow went to WOW!

While still faint, the veil stood out clearly from the background and I could easily see it curving and twisting around my whole field of view. That sucker is massive. I could see more detail with direct vision but more lengthy extent with averted vision. Next I panned west and found the Western Veil. On the way over I picked up the faintest hint of Pickering's Triangle or Wisp. The Western Veil is stunning, with 52 Cyg anchoring the subject, fairly distinctly even through the Oiii filter. I love how long and wispy this target is. 

All told, I probably spent only 15 to 20 minutes on it before hunting down M27 and M57 but I will be back!

You must have had a dark site to see it that clear. I can't see it at all in my 10" unless I use a OIII filter.

#6 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:36 PM

Try it with your 130mm and O-III too. 

And that is a classic object that rewards extended viewing at various magnifications. You should likely be able to trace Pickering's Triangle's "brighter" extensions below the ends of the western and eastern sections, for instance, with your O-III from your good dark site.

#7 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

You must have had a dark site to see it that clear. I can't see it at all in my 10" unless I use a OIII filter.

Yep, I live under Bortle 1 skies. Although I'm still waiting until Aug 23rd for our first night with actual astro-dark. 

#8 antariksha

antariksha

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: India

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:36 PM

I was visiting USA recently. During the visit, my friend drove me to a State park outskirts of Portland. This is the first time, I saw veil nebula both East and then West in his 15" Dob.

• payner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, dso, observing, observing report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics