•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Affordable case for 150 MAK

accessories catadioptric equipment Meade Maksutov
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 skookum

skookum

Mariner 2

Posted 16 June 2021 - 11:41 PM

Thought I would revive this thread because it inspired me to finally implement a solution for my own Skymax 150.  I bought the telescope last summer at the height of the pandemic.  I was so excited to get the OTA that I totally gapped and forgot I would need a proper way to transport and store it.  When not in use in my back yard, the Skymax lived in its sturdy shipping box which has really well designed foam inserts to keep the OTA safe during shipping.

Fast forward to last month when I wanted to take my scope on  little on a road trip, but I chickened out for lack of a case.  I googled around and found the expensive hard-case sold through some vendors.  But I just couldn't justify the price.  Then I found this thread. 

Some searching led me to a vendor on Amazon that sold the same Ultimax bag posted by OP.  I ordered it, and three weeks later it arrived on my doorstep.

Impressed with the bag's sturdiness, my only concern was whether the OTA would roll around too much during transport.  My solution was to cut down one of the foam shipping inserts and integrate it into the bag.  I used the velcro dividers which came with the bag as extra padding. 

The results, as you can see, are outstanding.  The bag has enough room in the pockets for all my observing equipment, except the mount.  This scope rides an Orion Astroview (CG4) attached to an Omegon stainless-steel tripod with 2 inch legs.  It's a solid setup, but portable.  With the bag slung over my shoulder, I can comfortably carry the mount/tripod with one hand if required.  Gets me outside with everything I need for visual observing in one trip (even the dew shield!). That's grab and go enough for me.

Thank you kim.davis for helping me find a great soft-case for this great OTA.

sCtonmV.png

mmbWeZK.png

ASgVBl2.png

RQNwEkj.png

oumLQiz.png

eHkfV6v.png

DPHfDdK.png

aNumawg.png

3pgdnQN.png

Edited by skookum, 16 June 2021 - 11:52 PM.

• Retired Dave, Asbytec, kim.davis and 3 others like this

#27 Old Speckled Hen

Old Speckled Hen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 56.4451° N, 3.1670° W

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:45 AM

https://www.planosto...lour-olive-drab

#28 nfotis

nfotis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 19 June 2021 - 05:55 PM

I like this padded bag in the original post, I wonder if there's something similar and suitable for my Skymax 180?

N.F.

#29 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:21 AM

Orion sells a soft case for their 180 MAK  but it’s not padded as much as the one shown here.  I have one and now use it for my C6 OTAa and 9x50 finder scope.

Bill

#30 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Illinois, USA

Posted 21 June 2021 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for posting this!  Been looking for some kind of case for mine.  Just ordered one.

#31 kim.davis

kim.davis

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:00 PM

When I purchased this bag 2 years ago, I paid $25, and now the price went up to ~45. Too much inflation.. 

BTW, I still have that bag to store misc. items, but my 150 Mak went to a different home. One of the most regrettable mistakes! 

• gene 4181 likes this

#32 TNmike

TNmike

Ranger 4

• Loc: Kingston, TN

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:41 PM

As far as a hard case I found what works for me, a Craftsman 26" tool box. I added a GSO Crayford focuser and the case had enough room, just right. The foam that came in the scope's box fits the tool box well. I have a picture here:

https://www.cloudyni...ak-first-light/

This one:

https://www.lowes.co...-Box/1000390953

#33 skookum

skookum

Mariner 2

Posted 13 July 2021 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for posting this!  Been looking for some kind of case for mine.  Just ordered one.

You're welcome.  You'll really like it.

#34 Old Speckled Hen

Old Speckled Hen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 56.4451° N, 3.1670° W

Posted 17 July 2021 - 07:26 AM

What protection is at the ends?

#35 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 18 July 2021 - 01:33 PM

As far as a hard case I found what works for me, a Craftsman 26" tool box. I added a GSO Crayford focuser and the case had enough room, just right. The foam that came in the scope's box fits the tool box well. I have a picture here:

https://www.cloudyni...ak-first-light/

This one:

https://www.lowes.co...-Box/1000390953

I have been looking for a case for my TEC6, the Craftsman 26" is large enough for the OTA alone but too short to include the dew shield as well which is 6" long, there is another case that I hope is roomy enough for the scope and the dew shield combined, it is Craftsman-PRO-28", I will go to Lowes and measure its inside dimensions, hopefully it would accommodate my TEC6 and is even less expensive.

https://www.lowes.co...-Box/1000578413

Vahe

#36 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:43 PM

I built a number of cases for my scopes over the years

#37 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 28 July 2021 - 02:59 PM

I picked up a Plano 1919 without wheels case for $21 (clearance) from Outdoor World.  Production shipping foam for my 180 Mak fit it like a glove with room for FeatherTouch focuser on the back.  So maybe a bit big for a 150 Mak, but the price was good.

Got two of them, put the mount head in one, then stack them to make a short table.  Can't be beat.

Edited by lakeorion, 28 July 2021 - 03:01 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, catadioptric, equipment, Meade, Maksutov

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics