•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Team effort on M31 ...anyone...anyone?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skycamper

skycamper

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Beaverton OR

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:38 PM

Anyone game for this?   I have some very nice calibrated data , three hours of 5 and 10 min subs from Bortle 4 skies, no moon, no filters. H-alpha modded D5300.   Calibrated with Flats, Darks, and Dark Flats.  Here is a sample of the data of what a friend of mine was able to pull out of it:

https://www.flickr.c...tetaken-friend/

Its basically the best data ive ever had myself, taken in July 2018 at 735mm with an F7 APO triplet.   Does anyone have similar data that we could add together for an even better image?  Dont ask me how to combine the images but if you have anything similar to this then send me a link to the unstretched data.  A buddy and I will combine them and can send you the results!  Could be an interesting project. especially if more than two people participate.  Anyone , can feel free to add my data to their own as well!......  Post here for the result!

Here is the stacked un-stretched data:

https://drive.google...ra5XGWbDYqKCvXs

Anyone feel free to PM me if you like regarding this!

Abraham

Attached Thumbnails

• CN M31 new.jpg

Edited by skycamper, 11 August 2019 - 05:43 PM.

• zjc26138, Starman27, whwang and 3 others like this

#2 Bretw01

Bretw01

Ranger 4

• Loc: IL USA

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:39 AM

Sounds like a neat project. Rather than combining two or more sets of stacked and un-stretched data, wouldn't aligning and combining the calibrated light frames work better?

Good luck!

Bret

• skycamper likes this

#3 skycamper

skycamper

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:06 PM

Sounds like a neat project. Rather than combining two or more sets of stacked and un-stretched data, wouldn't aligning and combining the calibrated light frames work better?

Good luck!

Bret

Im going to reveal how little I know about stacking data sets. Lol...............dont light frames need to be calibrated first before stacking?   would be the procedure here?  Ive stacked data from different nights in DSS and I have to use the group function.  Ive also stacked the resulting unstretched tiff files together after theyve been calibrated and got similar results.  Im not sure whats best but maybe someone can straighten me out here.

Also,  if anyone actually wants to do this im sure the scale wont be the same either so the data will have to down sampled or up sampled, not entirely sure what that means either.  Unless the image was shot at the same focal length with the same sensor.  Which would be a miracle.

Edited by skycamper, 11 August 2019 - 12:16 PM.

#4 George Simon

George Simon

Viking 1

• Loc: Chesnee, SC

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:29 PM

That is lovely data, indeed. I don't have any more data to add, but I did process what was provided, using StarTools, with a final tweak in GIMP. Here's what I got:

m31 waldsee.jpeg

• skycamper and Bretw01 like this

#5 skycamper

skycamper

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:19 AM

I cant believe CN is going to make me go beg on stargazers lounge or iceinspace to combine data. Haha, maybe even facebook. ... It was worth a shot and im still open to it!

#6 Bretw01

Bretw01

Ranger 4

• Loc: IL USA

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

Im going to reveal how little I know about stacking data sets. Lol...............dont light frames need to be calibrated first before stacking?   would be the procedure here?  Ive stacked data from different nights in DSS and I have to use the group function.  Ive also stacked the resulting unstretched tiff files together after theyve been calibrated and got similar results.  Im not sure whats best but maybe someone can straighten me out here.

Also,  if anyone actually wants to do this im sure the scale wont be the same either so the data will have to down sampled or up sampled, not entirely sure what that means either.  Unless the image was shot at the same focal length with the same sensor.  Which would be a miracle.

Yes...combine (integrate) all the calibrated light frames from both sources rather than the two (or more) stacks. I am no expert but think that this would yield a better result than combining the integrated stacks. I have been testing your stack with one of mine, am able to do star-alignment with no problem from two different scopes and cameras, but cannot integrate with less than three images. (Haven't tried three different scopes and cameras yet). Pixelmath works for combining, but I still think calibrated light frames and image integration is the way to go.

Edited by Bretw01, 13 August 2019 - 12:32 PM.

• skycamper likes this

#7 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:48 AM

Awesome data, what camera did you use?

#8 skycamper

skycamper

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:42 AM

Awesome data, what camera did you use?

Thanks!  Thats just an h-alpha modded D5300.   A combination of 5 and 10 min shots on a moonless night in bortle 4 skies!  Used my computer screen for flats, still looking for data to combine with it!   Not one taker.  Maybe this data is just too good!!   Ive only had one other image as good as this. Never again!!  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics